Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2012, 11:49 PM   #1 
Pitluvs

Tentative Breeding Plan

So I think I'm ready to jump into the whole breeding journey. Still on the fence but I have all supplies (have for months) and finally brought in a pair of halfmoons that are young enough to spawn. My original spawn idea was my Spidey, and his siblings Tatsu and Kaida. Spidey and Tatsu both passed about a month ago, Kaida is still with us. But I decided to pick up another male, and two females from the local breeder. Only reason I am thinking of attempting this time is because I NEED females BADLY and our store is sold out. The last shipment of Bettas all died overnight and they don't plan on getting more in for at least another month. So, I am figuring I will raise a spawn, keep the females and find suitable homes for the males. To obtain this unrealistic goal with a fish that potentially produces 100+ fry, I'll be using the method of tough love, so only the strongest survive hopefully cutting my numbers to 25-30ish should the spawn be large.

So for my male... Sammy. He's a product of a Blue MG Dragon HM/Blue MG Dragon HMPK spawn. Male by Patsayawan x female by Siribetta. I also have his spawn sister, but no photo yet but she's a Blue MG HM.
Sammy:

Male:

Female:

And my other female is a product of a Blue Dragon BF HM x Blue Dragon HM spawn. Both parents from Aquastar71.
Mine:

Male:

Female:

So yeah, figured I would share :) I hope this time I am able to spawn these, as before I didn't have much time with the foster cats. Now that I have no fosters, it will be nice to use my second bathroom (own heat control) as a fish room for these guys :) And also, my choice on the male was limited. I had a beautiful boy lined up (spawn brother) with a poor anal fin but an amazing spread but sadly he jumped ship. I was sent the only male that looked like him, I didn't get to pick. I notice many flaws with Sammy, but it will be a personal spawn that I will keep anyways :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:44 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

If you want a small spawn combine the following:

Dad in there for a week and lots of water changes that aren't exactly gentle. I pour water in and it's not always the same temp. With this I've succeeded in a zero deformity record over the past two years.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:47 PM   #3 
KadenJames

MrV, so brutal. xD

Good method, though.
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:55 PM   #4 
Creat

Mr.V you sound like me lol but i agree dad is good at figuring out the hardy fry
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:59 PM   #5 
MrVampire181

Lol a little bit. Except this last time with my spawns I only found a few dead in each. Finally some bigger spawns to supply all you guys and you're addictions lol.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:57 AM   #6 
KadenJames

*rocks back and forth* YEAH yeah. Yeah. Bettas, just one more ONE more, I need just one more and I'll be okay. Yeah. O_O
Old 04-28-2012, 02:25 AM   #7 
Pitluvs

My nephew's name is Kaden, personally one of my favorite names :)

Actually MrV, you're the one I've been following and learning from and your methods of tough love (as I like to call it) is what I wish to mimic. Smaller spawns and less culling by frequent harsher early water changes and leaving the male in a bit longer is my plan. You're the first breeder I've seen online who's methods make perfect sense to me.

I am shooting for mid May as I've only just received these three a week ago and would like to ensure health and then conditioning first. That, and we have a big 4th birthday party to plan in a weeks time haha
Old 04-28-2012, 02:29 AM   #8 
KadenJames

Kaden is my favorite name, too, its what I plan on naming my first child. Kaden James, works for both a boy and a girl. Came up with it when I was 17, stuck with me ever since. My name is actually Katie. :O
Old 04-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #9 
Pitluvs

My own son is named Kaleb Ethan James, K names and James flow so nicely together :)
Old 04-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #10 
KadenJames

Aww, cute name. :) well, they are next to each other in the alphabet. Just meant to be together I suppose. :)