Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2012, 11:33 PM   #1 
SweetNightmare

Cory School

Alright, so it's been a while, but I'm posting just to say I've finally got my school of cories! I can't wait to see them all schooling together once the new three are settled. ((I had one that was a rescue from my job.))

However, I do have to ask; what do y'all know about julii cories? I waited a month for pygmies to come in before giving in and buying the last three juliis to keep mine company, cause he was so lonely he was schooling with his reflection!

In the morning I'll take a picture of my tank; it's coming along swimmingly. *pun* I got some healthy anacharis from my work, and another plant that I think might be bacopa, but I'm not entirely sure.
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:54 AM   #2 
thekoimaiden

I've never personally kept cories, but here are two reliable sources of information about them: TFK profile for julii cories and Seriously Fish - Julii corydora

They're really cute like most other cories. Can't wait to see pictures! ^-^
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #3 
SweetNightmare

Couldn't take any pictures yet due to a doctor's visit, but upon closer inspection they actually look more like these:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/p...ree-line-cory/

than Juliis, which may not be my store's fault as much as being our fish provider's fault. They're adorable nonetheless. :)
Old 04-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #4 
Rosso1011

I cannot add much information, but I know it's best to use sand with corydoras as to not damage their barbels (spelling?). You should also put plenty of plants and hiding spots in for them. Sinking shrimp pellets are a good staple for them. I've heard of people offering them algae wafers as well for variety.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #5 
SweetNightmare

They eat wardley sinking shrimp pellets, which also break up very easily, for which I'm glad, I already have to chop up my betta's pellets. They have aquarium sand right now, but in the future I want to change them to reptile "riverbed" sand, to give it a more natural look. (My sand right now is blue. At first I liked it, now I want something more natural.) Anyone have any experience with it? I like it cause it's not stark white like playsand and other aquarium sands.

Edit: Oh, and I also have a mix of live plants and silk plants, with a plastic "rock" cave for hiding. (A cave my betta thoroughly enjoys, so they don't use it much cause I think they prefer to give him space, even though he's a very mild mannered betta.) I also feed freeze dried daphnia occasionally to everyone for a treat, and plan to get some frozen brine shrimp or bloodworms from work when I get paid next.

Last edited by SweetNightmare; 04-27-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I bought "Julii" cories at pet smart and they are three lined cories too.
True Julii are somewhat rare and usually three lined are sold as Julii. Still pretty cute though. :)
I think they get .5" bigger though. :/
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #7 
SweetNightmare

My store has had them for months and they're still pretty small(except for the one or two females) so maybe they're stunted/runts/some cross between three lined and pygmy/dwarfs.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:26 AM   #8 
thekoimaiden

There are literally hundreds of corydoras species, so no telling what you have really. But the basic care of them is the same. Sandy substrate, sinking food, hiding spots, and plants. It sounds like you are set!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #9 
SweetNightmare

Very true! And everyone has a little more room right now since I moved my two female guppies into their spawning tank. (Don't worry, all females and most males are going back to my job, separated by gender, so no inbreeding. They were given to me as all males, but not so apparently.)
Old 04-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #10 
SweetNightmare

Also, here are the pics I promised. They're the best I have.

And yes, you might notice that it's not true sand. It's extremely fine, smooth gravel, nearly as fine as sand. Everything I read said it would be suitable for cories as well, though I am going to upgrade to riverbed sand at some point when I have more cash. The pics were taken on my cell, so everything looks, well, ugly. :/ The small bottom tank is my guppy 'nursery'.