HELP! Is Tetra Parasite Guard harmful if swallowed?
I know this is in the wrong place but doberman (80lbs) just swallowed half a tablet of this stuff. I have the tablets that treat 10gal. I'm on the phone with the vet but got cut off and a busy signal. I need help.
It appears that all of the active ingredients (Metronidazole, praziquantel, and levamisol) are actually used for dogs, so hopefully they would be safe. But I'm not sure of dosages, also don't know about the inactive ingredients.
Note that I could only find the ingredients for the Jungle version of this, rather than the tetra version so their may be some differences.
Thank you for the quick reply! I got a hold of the animal poison control. They said the Metronidazole is used for dogs but in high concentrations can affect them neurologically. I have to watch him all night to make sure he's ok. They couldn't find the amounts of the active ingredients either. My poor little boy.
I would think you're probably OK? I've got to imagine that the dosage would be very small.
Here's an article on Metronidazole toxicity.
Metronidazole (Flagyl) is a commonly used and very effective antibiotic. It is most frequently used to treat gastrointestinal parasites, primarily Giardia. It has also been used to treat severe infections, usually in combination with other antibiotics. Unfortunately, as with all drugs, toxicity and adverse effects can occur. However, toxicity from metronidazole is uncommon and is generally associated with prolonged use (many weeks) or high doses of the drug. Animals with underlying liver disease are more prone to metronidazole toxicity. Toxic levels of metronidazole affect the brain and equilibrium.
What to Watch For:
- Not eating
I know it's hard, I had a dog for 11 yrs, but hold your pup close, give him an ear rub from me and try to get some sleep.
ETA: I know I had to give my boy Flagyl at least once in his life and he was OK.