Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #1 
dorymomory

Tail biting? Maybe?

Hello!

My betta Hrothgar's fins look very frayed along the edges, and I can't figure out what what's causing it. At first I thought he was biting his tail, but it doesn't quite look like pictures I've seen of that. I thought his decorations weren't rough enough to cause any fin damage, but maybe not? There's no sign of fin rot, but I've got him in aquarium salt to prevent infection. I would appreciate some other opinions!

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 79 Farenheit
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? New Life Spectrum Betta formula
How often do you feed your betta fish? 5ish pellets, once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every 3-4 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins look frayed around the edges, the red on his fins has gotten a little bit paler
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He seems very restless. Moving his gravel around, trying to get under it
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about a week and a half ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I've done 2tsp/gal of aquarium salt for a few days.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He had mild swim bladder disease when I got him, but it cleared up right away. Nothing since.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him for about 2 months.

When I got him:

Last Week:

Now:

dorymomory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #2 
FishyFishy89

it does look like tail biting to me
it looks like his color has gotten more pale as well

what decor do you have in his tank? do you change the scenery once a month?
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #3 
dorymomory

Yes, he's definitely gotten more pale, though the lighting in those pictures makes it look more dramatic than it is.

I've never actually seen him tail biting, but that seems plausible. I thought that would result in bigger pieces missing in the fins, though. There are a couple of small chunks missing, but the larger impression is that it just looks generally frayed around the edges.

I have a silk plant and a small castle in his bowl. The castle has only been there a couple weeks and he seems pretty interested in inspecting it. Last water change, I rearranged things a bit to hopefully make it more interesting for him. Should I look for some different decor? I'm a bit low on funds, unfortunately, but I can get it if that's what he needs.
dorymomory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #4 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorymomory View Post
Yes, he's definitely gotten more pale, though the lighting in those pictures makes it look more dramatic than it is.

I've never actually seen him tail biting, but that seems plausible. I thought that would result in bigger pieces missing in the fins, though. There are a couple of small chunks missing, but the larger impression is that it just looks generally frayed around the edges.

I have a silk plant and a small castle in his bowl. The castle has only been there a couple weeks and he seems pretty interested in inspecting it. Last water change, I rearranged things a bit to hopefully make it more interesting for him. Should I look for some different decor? I'm a bit low on funds, unfortunately, but I can get it if that's what he needs.
I've always changed decor around every month for all my fishys. Spike LOVES it. Hes always swimming around trying to figure out what he can fit his head into.
Have you ever changed stuff around in your room? Painted a single wall, added decor, etc? You get bored of the same look for a while. Your fishy will eventually get bored as well. Some fish can deal with the same ole reassuring landscape. I'm paranoid and worry that Spike will become a tail biter so I always changed his scenery monthly. Not to mention I love watching him explore ;)

Have you felt inside the castle for anything sharp or protruding? I've had several fish decor like such. Nice and smooth outside, pokey inside :P
Have you considered putting him in a kritter keeper with a heater? I think 79F is bare min for bettas. Not to mention, the temp may drop during the night or when it becomes cold outside.

Last edited by FishyFishy89; 05-02-2012 at 07:24 PM.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote