Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2012, 12:27 AM   #1 
Twilight Storm

New betta

So I went to my local pet store today. I went over to the small rack of bettas and I spotted some with fin rot, pulled them off the display and gave them to the manager. I don't think they will make it though it was the kind of fin rot I recently lost a betta to where their fins turn to goo.

I looked through the rest and kept coming back to a veil tail. His gill covers are a bright pink. (Is this ok?) He was not active and sitting on the bottom of his cup but his fins were in pretty good shape. The stress of buying him really freaked the poor guy out. Any advise on what bright pink gill covers could mean would be very much appreciated!

I got him home cleaned out a 1 1/2 gallon container stuck a heater in, put 1 tsp. of aquarium salt in the container. Let everything come to temp then floated his bag for a couple hours. I just released him into his container. I am going to take pictures tomorrow when he adjusts a little to his new situation. :)

The little guy was free as a thank you. I also have my master test kit ordered finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I should have it on Tuesday as long as the supplier has it in stock!
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #2 
Twilight Storm

Pictures of him finally

So this is the new guy

Old 04-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #3 
Sivan

He is very beautiful. I love his tail and the red outline on his body. I cannot see the gill coloring problem that you mentioned. Can you post a picture with a better view/focus on his gills?
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #4 
Sheldon31

S.T.U.N.N.I.N.G with a great bit capital GORGEOUS! Jealous much.. :)
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #5 
Twilight Storm

Thank you for the compliments on him! The first and third shot were just cute shots.

As far as pictures of his gill covers, the middle one is the best side shot I could get of him. This is the third day he has been with me. I posted yesterday past midnight. Some of the bright red has gone down since I asked. You can still see it in that picture somewhat. It's the area on his gill ringed in the white scales. The color faded to a pink today. I am thinking it was some kind of water quality issue, or he was sick and the salt treatments are helping him. When I saw him in the store and the first 2 days I had him, it looked like someone socked him in the gill covers, and he had a red bruise under his scales. (but it showed through)

I just tried to take more pictures but the storage box doesn't let the flash through and he is the most timid betta I have. I don't know how to use this camera enough to use the zoom and make it focus.

This isn't my fish, I found this picture on google images but this is what his face looked like 2 days ago

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...1&d=1328903536
Old 04-29-2012, 06:00 PM   #6 
Jessicatm137

Wow he's beautiful, but I can't help you with his gill problem, sorry. :(
Jessicatm137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #7 
Ramble

good looking fishy you have there! He looks pretty happy in his new digs!
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote