Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2012, 02:12 AM   #1 
kfryman

Schooling fish

I have a 15 gallon tank, that is a sorority and densely planted. Since it is filled with bettas the water movement is not all that great. I would like it to circulated better but I have no way to do it, suggestions on that is also welcome.

So the point, a small schooling fish that does good in fairly neutral, around 7.4-7.6 with softer water. The water is not circulated very well, need to find a solution, so a fish that cam do fine in low oxygen.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Cherry barb? Not that small, I know. But I wouldn't go anything smaller with betta anyways.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #3 
Mo

Aren't cherry barbs mainly sub tropical fish? Which means they can survive at tropical temperatures but there lifespans would we shortened and they would've more succeptable to diseases. Similar to a guppies situation.

With 5 bettas in a properly cycled, filtered, densely planted tank I think that you could only add a small 6-8 school of smaller fish such as neons or cardinals. Have you thought about ember, neon, cardinal, tetras, or glo light , harlequin, and scissor tail rasboras
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Meh, I dno, technically a lot of fish, including cories and neons, are in the same situation. So I don't think it matters that much.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #5 
Mo

Yeah. You do have a point, lots of Corydoras lifespans are shortened by how they are typically kept. In higher temperatures, I just thought that it would be greatly reduced as they are mainly sub tropical fish, while Corydoras are temperate fish
Old 04-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I got flammed so bad for saying I keep my betta and cories together at 77F on a British forum.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #7 
Mo

Did it go like fish _ _ _ _ _ _ . Net, of so then I understand, there are quite a few members on what website that are very strict when it comes to temperatures that fish should be kept in. I always thought the long term effects were minimal for certain Corydoras while they were more severe with cherry barbs,

and if it was that forum, I got flamed for saying that cherry barbs are schooling fish and for best results, you should have a group of 6+
Old 04-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

No, the one run by PFK magazine. Apparently betta can only be kept at 80F. I tried offering advice on tank mates, and on there only snails are acceptable apparently.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #9 
Mo

That's a bit unreasonable isnt it. I have kept every single one of my Bettas at 78 degrees and with other fish. He was fine and thrived.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #10 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yea.. Anyways, I think 77-78F is a good medium for both types of fish. ;)