Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #1 
wystearya

Fluorescent bulb - help?

Since upgrading to a new tank, I have found that I may need a new bulb. The thing it, the buld this tank came with is confusing me. Let me explain..

The bulb says the following:

'T8' (I have since found this refers to the tube diameter.)

'15 W' (15 Watt, I get this.)

'Red' >> This is the part that confuses me. I assume this has to do with the spectrum of light it emits, but there is no number (like 6500) just the word 'Red'.

What does the 'Red' on my fluorescent bulb mean exactly? Is this a good light for growing plants? I can tell it looks dim compared to the bulb I had in my previous tank. I *think* I had a daylight bulb in the old tank, but I cannot remember exactly.

My bulb length is 17 inches (18 if you include the metal rods that stick out on the ends) and is the T8 size. If anyone can recommend a good bulb for growing plants in this size, that would be super!

Thank you all!
~Wystearya
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #2 
wystearya

Anyone?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #3 
kfryman

It is probably like one of my T5s, it puts out a residue light. It has a lower Kelvin rating as well, mine is like 5500k, but can vary. It is good for growing plants but I wouldn't use it just alone. It outs out light that is red so when it is one it looks like a sunset. Unless you have a dual T8 fixture I would just get an ultra sun or one that emits light for plants, not just growing.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #4 
Hadouken441

the red color is 6700k.

Im not sure if they make t8 bulbs with that spectrum but t5 has it for sure.
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #5 
kfryman

See I didn't know, I have only used T8 once and now that got replaced with a HO T5 fixture.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #6 
wystearya

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
It is probably like one of my T5s, it puts out a residue light. It has a lower Kelvin rating as well, mine is like 5500k, but can vary. It is good for growing plants but I wouldn't use it just alone. It outs out light that is red so when it is one it looks like a sunset. Unless you have a dual T8 fixture I would just get an ultra sun or one that emits light for plants, not just growing.

Ok, so I need a different bulb. What kind of k rating should I look for? I don't know that 'ultra sun' means. Sorry!

One more dumb question: Can I put a T5 bulb (of the same length) in a fixture made for the T8 size? If not, are there still good bulbs in the T8 size? I *really* don't want to try to find a new hood to fit my brand new tank.

Last edited by wystearya; 04-26-2012 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Adding a question.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #7 
kfryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wystearya View Post
Ok, so I need a different bulb. What kind of k rating should I look for? I don't know that 'ultra sun' means. Sorry!

One more dumb question: Can I put a T5 bulb (of the same length) in a fixture made for the T8 size? If not, are there still good bulbs in the T8 size? I *really* don't want to try to find a new hood to fit my brand new tank.
You would want to aim for around 6500k range. As long as it is very near this range get it. This is the ideal range as it is similar light of that given off at noon, which is when the sun is the "brightest"

T8 is much too big to for a T5 light. T5s are I think at least half the size. So yeah nope.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #8 
Twilight Storm

I'm not aiding the topic in any way but just wanted to say you are not alone being confused by the lighting jargon. Every time I try to get something good I end up failing badly.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #9 
wystearya

He he! Thank you!

I have been reading up on the GE 'daylight' bulbs. I assume this would work? From what I have been able to find, they are 6500k.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #10 
Hadouken441

6500k is good.

Best bulbs to get that are found easily at local stores are 10000k and 6500k
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote