Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #11 
Hadouken441

Plants are the only way to go. I hate fake.
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #12 
kfryman

Some of the plants you link can be very hard to work with. Baby tears requires high light and CO2 without it, it will most likely die. Star grass is also hard, unless you have been using live plants I wouldn't recommend you getting them.

On that site it lists the lighting needs and care.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #13 
Mo

Baby teas do not abe those requirements, they do perfectly fine in moderately lit and no Co2 setups but still prefer some sort of fertilization
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #14 
Hadouken441

Honestly, if you want to go the full planted tank thing, your going to have to spend money. To get the good looking aquascapes with a full carpet and many red colored stem plants, your going to need the right equipment. You can get beginner plants that need zero attention and not spend anything. But if your trying to find an alternative or "cheaper" way, there isnt. You'll end up spending more money on dead plants and be frustrated out of your mind.

So you have to pick, low-tech or high- tech.

Low tech = easy plants, no extra equipment
High tech = Compressed co2, new light fixture, ferts, time, $$$$$

The fish tank in my sig/avatar is only a 20 gallon long but has easily $100 worth of plants in there with my lights being $100, co2 regulator and tank $100, R/O water system $70 and ferts $20.

Worth the money? IMO hell yes.
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #15 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I am a huge fan of the aquascaping world and being low on cash tortures me. I would looove an Amano styled tank, he's my idol and why I got into fish keeping. I'm stuck with poopy low tech set ups. I'm scared of those DIY CO2 systems for fear of messing everything up.
And yes, spending money on dead plants is the most frustrating thing ever. Just watching them melt away slowly to nothing. :(
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #16 
LittleBettaFish

Also be aware that you will need to periodically trim back your stems as they will grow very fast once conditions are met and need thinning out so they don't choke out your other plants and don't get too leggy or die back at the bottom.

Myriophyllum will fill your tank in no time. Mine doubled in size in only a few days and in my old sorority I used to let it spread across the surface of the tank so the less aggressives females could hide out in it.

It does take a few days to bounce back from trimming, but after the top part of the stem dies off it will send up a new node.

I'd personally use water sprite, myriophyllum and possibly the rotala as the 'canopy' of your sorority. Then beneath these, use anubias and java fern as they do best in shaded light.

None of these plants are really root feeders at all, but you will get some impressive root systems on the stems if you supplement the substrate.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote