Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #1 
LorRenee

Hammocks?

Hey everyone.

So I'm curious to see who has the little betta hammocks and how your fish have reacted to them. I was considering getting mine one as he likes to sit under his plant in the shade occasionally, but never actually "rests" and I'm afraid he won't utilize it if I get it for him.

These:
LorRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #2 
Mo

He will most likely appreciate it greatly. ive found that my bettas make great use of there hammocks and will rest on them at night. There is only one con about this product. there is a small metal wire running down the middle that can stab at bettas and injure them. I would try and rip it out
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #3 
vilmarisv

A great alternative to a "betta hammock" is an annubia plant.
They are very hardy and have very wide leaves that bettas love to "sit" on.
Of course they are not very tall but you can attach them to the glass using a suction cup and some string.
I don't like the commercial betta hammocks because of the wire Mo mentioned.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #4 
meimei

I bought one for Delta 'cause he likes to sit in the shade, too. Unfortunately, he's just not interested, and I tried feeding him over the leaf, too. Another option is a floating betta log. I picked one up for Delta and he loves it! It gives him shade and a place to hide and something to play with. :)
meimei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #5 
duluoz

I've had one for a good month or so and BD doesn't care about it in the slightest. But they're pretty cheap, so...
duluoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #6 
Crowntailed

I just use some floating plants, My female betta loves to rest on them. I realy like those betta logs and might get one for my CT male soon
Crowntailed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #7 
laoshun

some love it, my delta loves sitting on the plastic part of my heater at night.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #8 
vilmarisv

Betta logs are great! I have 3 but only use one because I haven't had the time to prepare them for the tanks.
The paint will chip off so I use aquarium safe spray paint to create a protective coating. Before that I will sand any rough spots.
The betta in my avatar has very heavy fins so he appreciates having a log and uses it often during the day.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #9 
Laki

I don't trust anymore zoomed products which have color sprayed on- it always chips and goes weird. (I had the turtle docks for my turtles a couple years ago, hated them) so I wouldn't get the log unless it's safe treated with whatever the above poster mentioned.

The hammock is great. When I brought Ludey home and he was ill he rested in the hammock day and night. As he got better he'd blow his bubbles around it. Now he doesn't touch it. I took out the plastic part and looked for the metal when I still had Lakitu but mine doesn't appear to be constructed with metal. I don't know if they changed the way they make them.

For 3$ you can't go wrong!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #10 
Rosso1011

I have had good experiences with my betta hammocks. It took me a little bit that they needed to be lowered a little more for my boys to swim over to them for a rest, but once I realized that's what needed to be done, my boys have enjoyed them. I personally just remove the wires from the leaf and use them.

I do agree with those who have said live plants would provide nice resting spots, but I feel that I just don't want live plants in my 3.5's.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote