Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #1 
minanicole

Early stages of some kind of bloat? I can't tell:(

Hi guys! Long time no see :)
I posted awhile back in January about Jaxon my cambodian VT and he's gotten a LOT bigger since I last posted pictures.

But recently I've been concerned. He's gotten kinda rounder around the abdomen area, and I'm worried it might be something serious. I don't feed him very much, and actually I've been feeding him a lot less recently because of what I noticed. (in case it's because of overfeeding.)

He still has an appetite and he's still as energetic as ever. (He was freaking out and flaring at my camera as I was trying to get a good picture)

Can anybody recognize what this might be? If it's anything? And if so, what should I do? He's my first betta ever so I'm very inexperience.

Thanks in advance for any help:) (Sorry for picture quality!)
Attached Images

minanicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Its hard to tell much by the pic, however, you don't want to confuse a normal round tummy with Bloat and treat needlessly...

With Bloat you will generally see other signs/symptoms along with the enlarged abdomen-like-buoyancy issues, lethargic, clamp fins, hiding, rapid breathing, not eating or pooping to name a few of the most common seen.

Most common causes are related to stress from poor water quality, long term low temps, overfeeding, improper stocking, contaminated foods, outdated food-with buoyancy issues it can also be related to labyrinth organ issues and too cool dry air over the water.

Best treatment-hold food for 24 hours and make a water change and if no improvement-Qt and start Epsom salt treatment and increase heat humidity over the water.

Since he is otherwise acting his normal self with a good appetite and pooping....I wouldn't worry-to be sure we need some more info...

Tank size, water temp, filter, live plants, additives used, how much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, appetite/food, tank mates, how long have you had him, approx age, has he been sick and/or treated in the past 30 days.

Lovely fella by the way...nice find....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #3 
shadowpony

I would fast him for a few days, just to be sure.

*edit
Oldfishlady: you posted right as i did!
Manianicole: your better off listening to OFL

Last edited by shadowpony; 04-28-2012 at 03:08 PM.
shadowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #4 
minanicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Its hard to tell much by the pic, however, you don't want to confuse a normal round tummy with Bloat and treat needlessly...

With Bloat you will generally see other signs/symptoms along with the enlarged abdomen-like-buoyancy issues, lethargic, clamp fins, hiding, rapid breathing, not eating or pooping to name a few of the most common seen.

Most common causes are related to stress from poor water quality, long term low temps, overfeeding, improper stocking, contaminated foods, outdated food-with buoyancy issues it can also be related to labyrinth organ issues and too cool dry air over the water.

Best treatment-hold food for 24 hours and make a water change and if no improvement-Qt and start Epsom salt treatment and increase heat humidity over the water.

Since he is otherwise acting his normal self with a good appetite and pooping....I wouldn't worry-to be sure we need some more info...

Tank size, water temp, filter, live plants, additives used, how much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, appetite/food, tank mates, how long have you had him, approx age, has he been sick and/or treated in the past 30 days.

Lovely fella by the way...nice find....
My bad! This is my first time on this part of the forums, so I forget about the general rules:)

3.5 gal tank, temperature fluctuates in the 70s, I've got some floating anacharis, no additives (just water conditioner). Every week I do either a 50% or 100% change (I alternate) and I've had him for about three months. He's got a high appetite: I feed him betta flakes (he prefers those over the pellets) and frozen brine shrimp. No tank mates (he used to have some ghost shrimp but I think he ate them), he's been relatively healthy for as long as I've had him.

And thank you, I've had a good time spoiling him:)

I honestly I haven't really noticed him pooping but that could also be hard to tell because of all the debris from the live plants in the tank. But he hasn't displayed any of the other symptoms that you named.

Shadowpony: Thank you, I will try that :)
Old 04-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I think he is just getting more rotund from being well cared for...lol....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #6 
minanicole

I really hope that's the case. :) Haha Better to be safe than sorry and I thought I'd get a few opinions just to make sure.

Thank you so much for your observations though:)
Old 04-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #7 
vilmarisv

Could be the case. I agree that is doesn't look like bloating but he could suffer from constipation.
Flaring sessions sometimes help. Try flaring him a few times a day for a few minutes to stimulate bowel movements.
If the enlarge stomach happens after feedings and goes away before the next feeding, then it's just the amount your feeding.
If it's persistent and feeding him just adds to the volume of his belly then he might be constipated.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #8 
minanicole

That would make sense, I'll try the flaring. :) Thank you!
Old 06-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #9 
minanicole

Unhappy

Okay so it's been a few weeks, and I thought I'd post some pictures and possibly a video to update. He seems to have gotten even bigger and the bulge has even gotten kinda white. It's more prominent on his left side. So I'm a bit worried, does this look like anything you guys may know about?

btw in the first picture, you have to look closely, but the white orb directly underneath his head area is indeed part of his body.

here's a video link of him swimming around (sorry for crappy quality):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihG7y...ature=youtu.be
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #10 
Bladezero

Looks constipated to me because of his behavior, did you do anything in the past time to treat it?
He looks happy by the way :)
Bladezero is offline   Reply With Quote