Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2012, 04:57 AM   #11 
chrissylee13

wow i like your tank! and yeah i know. i planned on getting some more today. i just needed to see how much open space i had. lol.
chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #12 
chrissylee13

got more plants! but bad news... i found my new tiny girl dead :[
Old 04-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #13 
DoberMom

:( it happens. I've lost 5 of my girls to a cycle crash. It's really hard to deal with sometimes.
DoberMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #14 
chrissylee13

yeahhh, it sucks.

but i got all my plants in and put the girls in!

it was a little terrifying to watch them really get into it at some points. most of them have some nipped fins. i think 2 of the girls haven't had any nips yet. the 3 with the most were the ones fighting the most. i'm still a little unsure whose alpha. the 3 of them are still going at it a bit, but i see them mostly swim away from each other. they're the biggest ones as well. the other 4 are a little smaller and definitely have been flaring, posing, and some chasing but they haven't really fought like i saw the other 3 do. but so far so good, no one seems to be too mean.
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #15 
Fin2you

ok so not sure if I got this tip here or if it came from my local aquatics group chat about sororities but here it is (tried and tested in my sorority, after my smallest girl lost an eye to the bully).... take everything out of the tank, then cup each girl. rearrange tank then introduce girls back in most submissive 1st giving each 1 5min or so to get comfortable, find a hidey spot & claim it for themselves. Leave the bully(s) for last. float the bully's cup in the tank until every other girl has swam up and then away. (don't worry the bully will probably charge the cup and flair and be a general b-i-t-c-h) once all the other girls have swam around the cup a few times & the bully has settled down then release her out of the cup towards a spot in the tank that the others haven't claimed. If this doesn't work try giving the bully a time out for a few days then reintroduce by the above method. My bully had a 1 day time out, reintroduced I didn't even have the cup outta the tank b4 she attacked again. This time she got a 3 day time out and now the 1 eyed girl who was attacked now pushes the "bully" around.
Fin2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #16 
Pogthefish

Oh thats happened to me, i bought one with one eye and the others bullied her but i kept her in the same tank and nrsed her back to health, she mostly hid at the bottom in some plants. Then i noticed her bullying some of the top females!
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #17 
chrissylee13

awe haha.

well my girls are doing really great. still some chasing but everyone has calmed down a lot. i've noticed my tiniest girl has actually started to be a little bully. i may have to cup her for a little. geez.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #18 
Pogthefish

wow :P
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #19 
bettabreederla

very nice tanks guys. i am beginning to see just how lucky i am with the four females i have living together with so few plants. i must be truly blessed with some laid back sisters. i bought them all from the same local pet store who buys from US breeders and i was told that they are true sisters from the same spawn. i have a suspicion this is why they live together so well. anyway to the point. i want to add live plants to my tank however i do not know what type of live plants go well with bettas. up until this point i have been using fake plants but now that i work in a pet store and get a truly ridiculous discount (at cost plus 10%) i really want to spoil my wet friends. people at the pet stores such as petco, and petsmart, keep telling me java moss is great but from what i understand it is basically a green ball that grows larger and really is not a great plant for bettas. please give me some suggestions. i know that floating plants can be good but i would prefer some that grow in either gravel or sand. any ideas???
bettabreederla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #20 
Fin2you

they'll settle down, only cup and remove if there is biting, and chasing so serious that no one can get up to breath! sometimes my gals will go around and around for a 1/2 dozen times then they hang out in the center side by side the next second. lastnight I was watching them and they were all lined up, infact they bully to see who will allow me to touch them 1st. almost all my bettas love rubbing against my fingers.
Fin2you is offline   Reply With Quote