Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #1 
bluefishy123

Increasing Grey on Pectoral Fin. Help! Sign of Columnaris?

Hi.

I've just brought a blue betta fish (my first fish, and betta fish) 3 weeks ago. He was very sluggish and just stay on the bottom and would not eat at first, but the second day he ate, and he got used to me in a couple of days, and is more active now. He's been making bubble nests every since the first water change too. He likes to rest on the bottom sometimes. About week ago I noticed grey spots on his fins, but it has been getting increasingly more. I'm not sure what it is. It reflects off as blue when viewed on the side. Could it be a sign of columnaris? The pectoral fin lines and outer overall shape are still there though, nothing split, so it doesn't seem to be fin rot?

I have been changing his water 100% every 6 days and for the last 2 water changes, been adding a bit of aquarium salt. Tank has no filter and unheated (hence the 100% change). The tank is small- more like a fish bowl (cube). I feed him pellets usually twice a day except once a week I'd feed him only one.

My fish was approximately 3 weeks old when I got him so he would be about a month and a half years old.
He seems to be normal otherwise. Eager to eat. Follows my finger.

I have attached pictures. Any comments/suggestions on what it is would be much appreciated!
Attached Images

Last edited by bluefishy123; 04-28-2012 at 07:00 PM.
bluefishy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #2 
Jessicatm137

It sound's like the mystery decease. This is fatal. :( See this thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086
Jessicatm137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #3 
Mo

It's not the mystery disease, the mystery disease approaches and kills the fish quite fast. It doesn't take as log as a week to become noticable? It looks like discoloration from stress to me, or natural coloration
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #4 
bluefishy123

** whoops i meant 3 months old not three weeks, which would make him 4 months old now
Thanks for the response
Does fin coloration change as they grow older?
Old 04-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #5 
Jessicatm137

Mo's right, I didn't read that part...sorry... Marbles change color yes, though yours doesn't look like a marble. If he is behaving normal it sounds like natural coloration, but I'm not sure.
Jessicatm137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #6 
Mo

I personally don't see any discoaloration and if he is acting well and not showing any signs of sickness I would assume that it is natural coloration. Most bettas will change color as they mature, he doesn't look like a marble though, it's very rare that bettas that are solid colors end up being marbles. I would PM sakura8. A respected moderator if this forum with a broad range of knowledge on Betta diseases
Old 04-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Doesn't look bad to me. Both my betta boys have little flecks on the pectorals if that's what we're talking about. His are a bit bigger than normal, and unsymmetrical, but that could mean nothing, too.
Columnaris is caused by a weakened slime coat.
You should get on getting him a thermometer and heater though. What size is the cube?
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #8 
Mo

Looks a little Less than half a gallon, I would ideally place him in a 2.5 gallon tank, heated, and do regular 1 50% and one 100% water change weekly to keep toxic substance content minimal
Old 04-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #9 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Oh just read this... If it reflects off as blue, I'm guessing it's normal as he's blue. My blue betta's fin flecks shine blue as well.
And yea, what Mo suggested is a good place to start with sizes. There's lots of 2.5 gallons on the market.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #10 
bluefishy123

Okay. Thanks guys! I was worried because he didn't have those before.
Yup. As soon as school's over and out of dorms, I'm getting him a bigger tank