Views: 82
Size:  45.8 KB

Name:  Holey Dorsal Fin2.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  56.9 KB

Name:  Holey Dorsal Fin1a.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  41.5 KB

Noticed a tiny hole either yesterday or the day before and kinda thought he nipped it somehow....now, I'm not so sure. It also looks like the fin with the holes is curling.
Water test yesterday said: 0.25ppm Ammonia; 7.4 PH; Nitrate is 40.0ppm due to high Nitrate in our well water (hence today's water change that I'm still in the process of); and I wasn't able to do the nitrite yesterday....will do it in a moment.
Anybody have a clue what to do to take care of him and his only tankmate? (Other boy is looking his normal self.)

Last edited by Hopeseeker; 04-28-2012 at 10:06 PM. Reason: added more
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #2 
laoshun

Could just be delicate fins, my double halfmoon used to get random hole in his fins. If it doesn't heal within a couple days then bring up more concern.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #3 
Mo

It could easily be a result of over flaring. Typically a lot of long finned bettas have delicate fins which means that with constant flaring, holes in fins start to form. This can usually be cured with daily water changes and heated water
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #4 
Hopeseeker

What about the fin kinda curling? What could cause this?
Old 04-28-2012, 11:02 PM   #5 
Mo

Hard water
Old 04-29-2012, 12:52 AM   #6 
Hopeseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
Hard water
How do I treat it? Is it possible to treat?
Old 04-29-2012, 07:51 AM   #7 
Mo

If the fin curling is only slight. I wouldnt worry about it as it doesnt negatively effect the betta fish. This occurs greatly in crowntails that are in hard akaline water. There is no way to treat it other than lower the hardness of the water, using sphagnum peat moss, driftwood, tannins
Old 04-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #8 
BeckyFish97

I would reccomend trying some indian almond leaves, or indian almond leave extract (or whatever they like to call it these days) for the fin curling to try and lower the hardness of the water, for the holes it looks like he's flared too much, you might want to check and see what he flares at, or if there is anything sharp in his tank, ornaments etc.Other than that he looks really healthy!
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #9 
laoshun

oh darn, lol as we talk about this topic my plakat just got a super small hole tear. Hope yours don't continue to curl! The fins on your fish are awesome to look at.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #10 
Hopeseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyFish97 View Post
I would reccomend trying some indian almond leaves, or indian almond leave extract (or whatever they like to call it these days) for the fin curling to try and lower the hardness of the water, for the holes it looks like he's flared too much, you might want to check and see what he flares at, or if there is anything sharp in his tank, ornaments etc.Other than that he looks really healthy!
He started to obsessively flare at his reflection since he's been in the new tank...so a little over to weeks...I'm going to be adding some more plants and betta logs are at the post office until I can pick them up on Tuesday. He has a cave that he loves playing hide and seek with his reflection, while flaring. Will most likely Indian Almond Leaf extract, I'm sure it will also help my other boy too....they are in a divided 10 gallon. And will research how to soften fish water.