Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2012, 10:30 PM   #1 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Ugh, axolotl mind torture.

So I got an awesome 20 gallon long tank. I already have an awesome plan of what to stock it fish wise.

Problem: saw an ad for an axolotl breeder selling juvies of all colors. Mind torture! I emailed a few days ago to see if they ship (they're somewhat far) but no response.
If they say they're willing to ship I'm going to be so torn between getting a pair or getting fish.

I really like the melanistic, and think I'd want one of those plus a regular green one, since albinos usually get picked on when kept with darker ones.
What do you guys think? Fish or axolotl? Once I get all my shelving for tanks set up I may have to squeeze one in anyways into a 10 gallon. :3 But I was already planning on a pretty boss tank, too. :/ ugh, space.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #2 
Gizmothefreaky

You know im going to tell you to get an axolotl!! XD If you get a pair though, please put a divider in the tank and keep them separate until they are six inches. ^^; i see axxies all the time with missing legs from being nommed on by their siblings.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:23 AM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yea, I was thinking of doing that too. Do they need filters and cycled tanks?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #4 
Aside

mind sharing this breeder?
Aside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

They're in Toronto, they have an ad on kijiji. I'll pm you the ad, but I still have no word on if they ship. :/
Old 04-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #6 
Gizmothefreaky

they dont really need filters no, but if you want one be sure to really baffle it super well, too much water movement will stress them out. They do need a bubbler though, but set it on low so the water is only minimally disturbed. I have mine in one corner and Toothless spends most of his time all the way on the other side of the tank because he doesn't really like it... But i have a thirty long, so there is plenty of room.

I actually live feed mine almost exclusively,(but he gets newt pellets to supplement what he doesn't get from the fish) so he has a constant supply of rosy red minnows (or fathead minnows depending on where you live lol ). I got some White Cloud minnows too, but he doesn't care for them, so he has a large-ish school of white clouds in the tank that he never bothers, and they are too frightened of him to come close because he snaps at them if they come in front of his mouth. lol!

Last edited by Gizmothefreaky; 04-29-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #7 
surprize30

i was going to get one but axolotls are hard to take care of my dad had a 135 G tank with 6 axolotls in it and he was always checking something with the tank and there was always something wrong with one of them but if u do decide on them upload pictures!!!
surprize30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #8 
Gizmothefreaky

axolotls are the easiest pet i have ever had... XD I dont know what was wrong with your father's tank, but dont let his experience turn you off of them. Were the axolotls raised together? That might have been the problem... Because they are cannibalistic until they reach six inches in length, but if they grow up with other axolotls then they are always cannibalistic.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #9 
surprize30

well idk he had the tank when i was young i just remember there was always something going wrong with it, culd have been something els tho i was only 6 when i lived with him now im 16 anyway let me know how it goes and if they r easy i might get one
surprize30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #10 
Gizmothefreaky

They are super easy. x3 i love them, and want to get a second one.