Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #1 
Atena

Unhappy Worried new Batta mom...

I am worried about my fish. He is a rather large orange Betta and I just got him from a friend who had him nearly a year. I named him "Guppy" and already am in love with the little guy.

He came to me in a tiny half gallon tank, he has been accustomed to a one gallon bowl.

I had noticed he was unhappy, his sister is still in her gallon tank and she is happily building bubble nests and eating eagerly.

yesterday I noticed Guppy swiming erratically, he spit out his food ones, then ate very little later on. His fins are folded close to his body not spread out much.

I thought he was mad because he was in a small house, so I got him a larger 2.5 gallon tank. I got a PH monitor, thermometer and single LED light. A filter is on the way.

He took to the larger tank right away, the temperature of the water is exactly as it has been in his tiny tank (just under 80F).

After reading about it I figured he might be simply trying to scratch because of external parasites, namely velvet. I shone a light but I don't see a gold dust. I do see a few tiny gold stripes over part of his fins but I am not sure this is the same thing.

I am thinking to add some salt to the water just in case but not sure if that is enough, or too much. I only had the fish for a few days.

Any advice?

I am worried this might get worse, I would really hate for anything to happen to him.
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:36 PM   #2 
EvilVOG

Try and answer as much of this as possible... you've already answered some of it but it keeps me from forgetting to ask something, also photos can be very helpful as well.

Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Salt us usually added pre dissolved at a ratio of 1tsp per gallon. Make sure it's the right salt. Tablesalt is bad. And if you're not sure what he has, just don't use it.

Is he still clamped (his fins) in his new tank?
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:36 PM   #3 
jase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atena View Post
I am worried about my fish. He is a rather large orange Betta and I just got him from a friend who had him nearly a year. I named him "Guppy" and already am in love with the little guy.

He came to me in a tiny half gallon tank, he has been accustomed to a one gallon bowl.

I had noticed he was unhappy, his sister is still in her gallon tank and she is happily building bubble nests and eating eagerly.

yesterday I noticed Guppy swiming erratically, he spit out his food ones, then ate very little later on. His fins are folded close to his body not spread out much.

I thought he was mad because he was in a small house, so I got him a larger 2.5 gallon tank. I got a PH monitor, thermometer and single LED light. A filter is on the way.

He took to the larger tank right away, the temperature of the water is exactly as it has been in his tiny tank (just under 80F).

After reading about it I figured he might be simply trying to scratch because of external parasites, namely velvet. I shone a light but I don't see a gold dust. I do see a few tiny gold stripes over part of his fins but I am not sure this is the same thing.

I am thinking to add some salt to the water just in case but not sure if that is enough, or too much. I only had the fish for a few days.

Any advice?

I am worried this might get worse, I would really hate for anything to happen to him.

For external parasite like velvet, do a formalin or salt water dip every day. just use the tank water and put it in a jar or container, add the formalin or/and salt according to the manual. do it for around half an hour, remove the fish if it feels stressed.

do constant water change and remove the substate.
jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:20 AM   #4 
Atena

Thanks!

Thank you for the help.

Before I treat I would like to make sure he is actually sick and I am not just panicking for no reason, he has been very stressed with the new home, small tank, large tank and so forth. I am not sure if this could be a symptom of the recent move to his new home or if he has an illness.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gall (just moved from .5 gallon)
What temperature is your tank? just under 80
Does your tank have a filter? not yet (ordered one, but the fish has never had one before)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? black fishtank stone in the new tank, natural color gravel in the old one.

Is your tank heated? not yet, again, never had a heater before.

What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none, he is an only fish.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta pallets, 3 pieces 2 times a day. Does not like bloodworm.

How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 50% every day, just got the new tank where I submerged the old tank to help him move, so he got 2 gal. new water to 2 old.

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? haven't done one yet.

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I use filtered water from tap with water conditioner

Water Parameters: ??

I have a water monitor on the tank and it is showing "safe"

Could not find a test kit at my local petstore, figuired the little monitor would do the trick, it is supposed to last a year.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? not much, I think he arrived sick if he is sick. He turns more dull in color in the evening.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Swims more rapidly wiht periods of rest in between. Was eating fin on day one, got more reluctant on day 2 and 3. Still eats his food, but spit one pallet out eysterday on the morning feeding.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?2 days ago, but I thought he just did not like the tiny space.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? not yet. don't want to do anything to hurt him.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? I had it for 3 days, I don't think the old owner had any trouble with him, if she did I am not sure she would notice.

How old is your fish (approximately)?I am guessing about a year. He is significantly larger than the fish at the pet store. Probably 80% larger.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:27 AM   #5 
Atena

Correction...

That's 2 gal. new water to .5 old.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:35 AM   #6 
Atena

This is a photo of him the day I got him (three days ago). You can see his fins were clammed then too. I did not know that was a sign of trouble then though.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...47159747_n.jpg
Old 04-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #7 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atena View Post
Thank you for the help.

Before I treat I would like to make sure he is actually sick and I am not just panicking for no reason, he has been very stressed with the new home, small tank, large tank and so forth. I am not sure if this could be a symptom of the recent move to his new home or if he has an illness.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gall (just moved from .5 gallon)
What temperature is your tank? just under 80
Does your tank have a filter? not yet (ordered one, but the fish has never had one before)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? black fishtank stone in the new tank, natural color gravel in the old one.

Is your tank heated? not yet, again, never had a heater before. He will definitely need a heater. This keeps the temperature constant. Fluctuations in temperature can be harmful to your betta.

What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none, he is an only fish.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta pallets, 3 pieces 2 times a day. Does not like bloodworm.

How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 50% every day, just got the new tank where I submerged the old tank to help him move, so he got 2 gal. new water to 2 old.

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? haven't done one yet.

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I use filtered water from tap with water conditioner Actually, it is better to use straight tap water with a water conditioner put in before adding to the tank. Filters can filter out minerals that are good for your betta.

Water Parameters: ??

I have a water monitor on the tank and it is showing "safe"

Could not find a test kit at my local petstore, figuired the little monitor would do the trick, it is supposed to last a year.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? not much, I think he arrived sick if he is sick. He turns more dull in color in the evening.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Swims more rapidly wiht periods of rest in between. Was eating fin on day one, got more reluctant on day 2 and 3. Still eats his food, but spit one pallet out eysterday on the morning feeding.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?2 days ago, but I thought he just did not like the tiny space.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? not yet. don't want to do anything to hurt him.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? I had it for 3 days, I don't think the old owner had any trouble with him, if she did I am not sure she would notice.

How old is your fish (approximately)?I am guessing about a year. He is significantly larger than the fish at the pet store. Probably 80% larger.
It may just be that he is adjusting to a new space, if you see no physical symptoms. Try adding some stress coat and let us know if new symptoms arise.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #8 
Atena

Thank you so much. I will get some stress coat tomorrow at the pet shop on my way back from work.

He seems better today. I only changed two cups of water, did not want to stress him more by changing more of the water.

He is swimming in what I would call a more normal pattern. This is only day 4 and I am still learning about his behavior.

He ate vigorously this morning, and in the evening. He rests now not only on top of the light but also in the leaf hammock I got him and at the bottom of the tank.

This eveing he displayd a behavior I have not seen before, I came up to his tank ( tend to talk to him) to see if he was ready to turn his light off for the night. He was resting at the bottom of the tank, he swam right up to me with his gills widely spread (It made his head look really big!). Is this a greeting, was he happy to see me or was this an attack or defensive behavior. Did I startle him? or is this another sign of sime kind of illness?

I am so confused, people at my local pet store are not much help, they think I am already nuts for wanting a filter and 2.5 gal. tank and now a heater. Ugh. It is so frustrating.

Do Betta's do this often and does anyone know what it means?

I still have not added salt or anything else to the water. The poor little guys has been through so much in the past few days he needs a break, I don't want to do anything until I am sure of what is wrong.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #9 
Atena

Question about the stress coat, do I add this to the water that already has the conditioner, or use it instead of the conditioner?

Will I need to do another water change?
Old 04-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #10 
Atena

This a photo of him resting on his leaf hammock today... He is so pretty. :)

Tags
velvet disease