Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2012, 11:23 PM   #11 
EvilVOG

sounds like he was flaring at you. Defending his territory. I haven't had any of mine flare at me (mostly they try and eat me) but it's pretty normal for them to flare. Check on my website (in my signature) in the videos section there are a few videos of flaring.

pet store people tend to be ignorant about bettas (just look at how they keep them)

Stress coat is itself a water conditioner. you can use one or the other, some say it's ok to use both. I would just use the stress coat personally.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:44 AM   #12 
Twilight Storm

He is pretty :) I am not good at ID-ing colors but I think he would be considered a dalmatian orange? Can't see really good in the picture but he looks ok I think? He definitely looks to be on the older side. :)

Since you just got him it will take him a little bit to adjust to his new home and to you.

What kind of filter did you order for him? His fins are SUPER long and he might have a really hard time in a current. There are a few threads here on how to baffle a filter.

If
it has an intake tube that sticks down into the water you probably want to cover that part with a sponge (Fluval Edge 1 sponges work wonderfully on most intake tubes) or a nylon stocking over the intake or he could get sucked up into it.

Welcome to the forum if you have questions and can't find the answers don't hesitate to ask :)
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #13 
Atena

Thanks EvilVOG, I was not able to get stress coat today, they did not have it. I will switch to it as soon as I get some. Hopefully before the next water change.

Twilight Storm, thanks, he is a cutie isn't he. I will try to get some better photos of him in the next couple of days using my SLR instead of the phone camera. My house tends to be very dark so taking good photos can be challenging. I wish I had more windows!

The filter I ordered is the TOM Aquarium Mini Internal Filter 45gph adjustable flow from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Internal-Filter-45gph-adjustable/dp/B00176GKM8/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1335827128&sr=1-1

I mostly liked the reviews from other Betta owners who say it works well in their tanks. It is made for small aquariums so I hope it is okay.

They also recommend a min heater with that: Elite Submersible Preset Heater Mini at http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submersi...pr_product_top

It is the only small tank heater I found with an adjustable temp. Guage and it seems to get pretty good reviews.

Would anyone recomment a better heater or should I just order that one?

Thank you everyone for all your help, you are making me feel so much more competent.

Hugs,

Atena :)
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #14 
EvilVOG

couple of questions:

Is he clamped anymore? Is he still itching? If he's not showing any symptoms anymore you don't have to go out and buy anything (as long as you have some sort of water conditioner already)
Old 04-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #15 
Atena

He is swimming much calmer now and does not leap out of the water or rub against the tank walls. His fins are flowing loosely, he never picks up his top one, I am not sure he is supposed to.

Today is a cool day in Miami and his water temperature has dropped to 74 from 79 this morning but he doesn't seem to mind the cooler water. This was the main factor in the decision to get the heater, I just want to make sure I get the right one.

I think he was just freaked out by the amount of space he had, moving from a 1/2 gallon shack to a 2.5 gallon mansion seems to have been a shock. I still see no gold dust or anything else hanging off him.

He did not flare at me today either, came right up to the top of the tank when I came home and ate well again this evening. I think he is feeling better, but I am watching him very closely to make sure he really is healthy.

All of your comments are huge help. thank you so much for the support.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #16 
EvilVOG

he will almost never lift that fin, it's much too heavy.

You can every now and then show him a mirror to make him flare.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #17 
Atena

Smile Thank you!

Thank you for your help, I am starting to think he really is fine after all.

I will post some questions about heaters in the proper forum, but I wanted to let you all know how much your help has meant to me. Guppy seems to be a happy little guy, very much thanks to the help from all of you experienced betta parents. I am still learning but it is so nice to know I have someone to ask.

I posted some better pictures of him in the album at http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?albumid=3723

Hugs,

Atena :)
Old 05-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #18 
Twilight Storm

I love your photo album you made of him! :D I hope everything is still going well. He looks happy in the new pictures you have up :) My favorite is the newer picture of him relaxing in his hammock :D

The site owner was so nice including that option for us to use :D - Thank you site owner. I don't know who you are, but I have heard you are a "she." :)
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #19 
Tikibirds

Do you know how often your friend did water changes? he may of been acting odd because the ammonia level was high.

and sometimes they act weird when added to a new, larger tank. Are there some plants - fake or silk - and a place for him to hide in? Those will help him feel more secure and less vunerable.

for heaters - look for a 25 watt adjustible heater. I got most of mine off Ebay and Amazon.com as the local selection was pretty slim.

I like these as they are not as tall as alot of other heaters and fit well in smaller tanks.
http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submersi.../dp/B00106X8QG
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:01 PM   #20 
Atena

I noticed he doesn't like change, he did build a bubble nest so I am confident he likes his new home overall. I got him some live plants and a little fake rock bridge to hide under. He seems to like it, he swims and eats well now.

His filter arrived today and it seems a little big for the tank. I baffled the current with stalkings and rubber bands for now. I have to read up on what else to do. The water bottle solution is a bit bulky and I am worried about sharp edges as guppy seems to like sticking his head into tight spaces.

I now have what I think is an algae problem, this started after I put in three live plants.

This is the heater I ordered, i hope it will be easier to work with than the filter. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006JLPG8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I am going to change half the water in the morning again and keep the light off for now - i hope that doesn't kill the plants but I am not sure what else to do.

Tags
velvet disease