Newest Member of the Herd: Jasper - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By Old Dog 59
  • 1 Post By Old Dog 59
  • 1 Post By pnwbetta
  • 1 Post By Old Dog 59
  • 1 Post By pnwbetta
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Old Dog 59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Oil City PA. USA
Posts: 1,332
Aquarium
Newest Member of the Herd: Jasper

Don't blame me for the name, My wife names them.

Anyway While I was in Erie PA. yesterday I also stopped by the Petco store there. I Know the Managers and fish clerks in both Petco and Petsmart. While Petsmart didn't have a real great selection of betta ( their new shipment comes in today) so I didn't stay there too long. (just long enough to buy my filter cartridges and 25 5.5 gallon Top Fin setups for $20.00 each (aint going to pass that price up.

But when I went in to Petco Rita (the store manager saw me coming in and gave me the big hello. (Hay I don't want any trouble from you David laughing the entire time.) I asked her how her Christmas was as we walked back to the fish room. Sam The fish guy just looked up and said OH NO Not You. LOL. But he also was cleaning the new betta cups and refilling them with clean water like he does every day. I was told their betta shipment came in late Tuesday after noon and the Betta only got into their cups right before closing. So I had to look at all of the new stock. I was impressed at the quality and the diversity of the stock. (something for every taste.) I spent 3 hours in the store with these two great people and all those beautiful betta.

I came home with, Jasper a very beautiful royal blue and gray with a tinge of red half moon. He stood out from the rest, he knew He was going home with me even before I did LOL. Anyway Here are some pictures from his tank this morning.

https://www.bettafish.com/attachment...1&d=1577453367

https://www.bettafish.com/attachment...1&d=1577453367

https://www.bettafish.com/attachment...1&d=1577453367

And nose to nose with Gilford Guppy.

https://www.bettafish.com/attachment...1&d=1577453367
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1888.jpg (49.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1902.jpg (40.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1903.jpg (43.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1887.jpg (51.9 KB, 15 views)
Old Dog 59 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 03:09 PM
Member
 
pnwbetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Oregon
Posts: 217
Beautiful boy! What lovely coloring and fins. (Nice plants too!)

That's why I've avoided the larger pet store near me (the good one), they have some incredible betta choices and it's hard to say no - especially with tank setups going on too. Heck I went in to the LFS a county over yesterday for a shrimp and came out with a fish as well. C'est la vie.

Completely understandable you couldn't leave without Jasper.
pnwbetta is online now  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 04:47 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 36
He's beautiful!
Half-Moon is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Old Dog 59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Oil City PA. USA
Posts: 1,332
Aquarium
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwbetta View Post
Beautiful boy! What lovely coloring and fins. (Nice plants too!)

That's why I've avoided the larger pet store near me (the good one), they have some incredible betta choices and it's hard to say no - especially with tank setups going on too. Heck I went in to the LFS a county over yesterday for a shrimp and came out with a fish as well. C'est la vie.

Completely understandable you couldn't leave without Jasper.
I completely understand our problem, and it is an addiction and that's the problem. I now have 25 other tanks that I can now fill ( I can't fund them and that's the problem) My wife said I can not go to any pet store alone or with out supervision. I told her I'd take RussellTheShihTzu along from now on LOL. She said I was grounded. LOL. She thinks we all need adult supervision. LOL. But hay I can fill one tank a month and have a lot of fun doing it. I've had other addictions that were much worse. (my photography and lens addiction has cost me more than I want to admit but I do get some fantastic pictures and she is the first to say hay lets take the cameras for a walk. Leave it to me to get into the dog house, but I'll have a great looking dog house.

Besides Betta are like peanuts. YA CAN"T HAVE JUST ONE. I now have 5 again and by next month who knows.

Last edited by Old Dog 59; 12-27-2019 at 05:26 PM.
Old Dog 59 is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Old Dog 59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Oil City PA. USA
Posts: 1,332
Aquarium
Half Moon, Thank you he is a very pretty boy. He is getting acquainted with Gilford (they seem to get along nicely.) and his new tank. He is eating and coming to the top for food . He still is exploring his plants and the tank but he seems happy.
pnwbetta likes this.
Old Dog 59 is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 01:14 PM
Member
 
pnwbetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Oregon
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog 59 View Post
I completely understand our problem, and it is an addiction and that's the problem. I now have 25 other tanks that I can now fill ( I can't fund them and that's the problem) My wife said I can not go to any pet store alone or with out supervision. I told her I'd take RussellTheShihTzu along from now on LOL. She said I was grounded. LOL. She thinks we all need adult supervision. LOL. But hay I can fill one tank a month and have a lot of fun doing it. I've had other addictions that were much worse. (my photography and lens addiction has cost me more than I want to admit but I do get some fantastic pictures and she is the first to say hay lets take the cameras for a walk. Leave it to me to get into the dog house, but I'll have a great looking dog house.

Besides Betta are like peanuts. YA CAN"T HAVE JUST ONE. I now have 5 again and by next month who knows.
25 tanks?! That's a lot to manage time wise too.

Yeah, I have a photography addiction too. It has definitely cost me more and taken up more time than the fish, but it's been more acceptable to others to bring home a new lens vs. talking about a 3rd big tank. :)
(I went to the store last night to get new ammonia checkers, a couple of plants and a backup heater and ended up with a new Betta. It's a problem oh yes.)
Old Dog 59 likes this.
pnwbetta is online now  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Old Dog 59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Oil City PA. USA
Posts: 1,332
Aquarium
We are going to need to start a separate forum area for Betta addicts. LOL I can name each member that already is in that category already. We could start the meetings just like AA. Yes we really have the addiction for beauty and living things, and a challenge to see to the care and feeding giving them a long and healthy life. But really we already have a category called a Keeper. We dedicate our love for these fish for the beauty they share and the difference in attitude they have. We research their known needs and the problems they could face and their illnesses which can not be explained. How we treat each and every one so differently. The quality of life we try and give and the hope that we do it right the first time. We do it for the love we have for them because they give us their love with just being happy to see us.

Yes I think we have reached Keeper status. We have gone well past newbie, and passed hobbyist. It is not a hobby to a keeper. It's a passion and a love.

Well it would fill up most of my time during the day yes. but I'm retired and if it keeps me busy and out of trouble and out of my wife's sight. ( no more honey do lists. ( well yeah there are always those I can put off.) LOL
pnwbetta likes this.
Old Dog 59 is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 12:58 PM
Member
 
pnwbetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Oregon
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog 59 View Post
We are going to need to start a separate forum area for Betta addicts. LOL I can name each member that already is in that category already. We could start the meetings just like AA. Yes we really have the addiction for beauty and living things, and a challenge to see to the care and feeding giving them a long and healthy life. But really we already have a category called a Keeper. We dedicate our love for these fish for the beauty they share and the difference in attitude they have. We research their known needs and the problems they could face and their illnesses which can not be explained. How we treat each and every one so differently. The quality of life we try and give and the hope that we do it right the first time. We do it for the love we have for them because they give us their love with just being happy to see us.

Yes I think we have reached Keeper status. We have gone well past newbie, and passed hobbyist. It is not a hobby to a keeper. It's a passion and a love.

Well it would fill up most of my time during the day yes. but I'm retired and if it keeps me busy and out of trouble and out of my wife's sight. ( no more honey do lists. ( well yeah there are always those I can put off.) LOL
Keeper. I like that. And it's true... all fish can be unique but there is something about Bettas that just seems more... evolved as a personality? That inspires so many to even get involved in the aquatic world and work to enhance their place.

Yes, it is a healthy hobby to have in so many ways. Good to keep busy with a positive task. :)
(those to do lists will be there tomorrow!)
Old Dog 59 likes this.
pnwbetta is online now  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 07:12 PM
Member
 
Phish Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: NYC
Posts: 204
Hey @olddog59 I was away a couple weeks and must've missed this one - stunning Betta! ( I'm partial to the blue ones.)

You spent three hours at the LFS? LoL. But I should talk. I stopped by my LFS today for a check valve and walked out with a nerite snail, five red cherry shrimp (I'd get more but I want to see if these survive the betta) and a container of live black worms which I only just discovered they carry!

I have a name for this addiction:

I call myself an aquaholic .



Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Phish Head is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome