Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care - View Single Post - >>>Contest for the Betta Rescuers<<<
View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 04:11 AM
Tikibirds's Avatar
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Shangdong, China
Posts: 3,853
Oooh.....a contest for me :D

A. Betta's Name - SLUGGLES
B. Date of Rescue - DECEMBER 2011
C. Tell your story - I worked the night shift and after work the boyfriend and I usually hit up walmart because they had a 24 hour subeay inside the store. After that he would check movies and I would check fishies. This walmart would get in some pretty spiffy looking bettas but shipping them to alaska and lack of care usually resulted in some pretty sick fish. Anyways, this particular night, they didn't have too many left. I see this blue thing in a cup and ignore it thinking it was going to die in the next 24 hours. My boyfriend sees it and says "you want to save this one". I was like what? since he never had any interest in my fish saving escapades. I'm thinking this thing isn't even gonna survive the ride home....

Well, he made it home alive but he was crumbled over in his cup, bits of blue fin and god knows what else floating in his cup and was gasping with rapid mouth movement. I'm thinking he is gonna be dead by tomorrow. I have NO idea what's wrong with him besides ammonia poisioning. His ammonia was at least an 8.0. It turned dark green and I got a pic of it somewhere.

To make a long story short - I slowly acclimated him, very a small syrine full of water every 20 minutes - to cleaner water. I didn't want to shock him by going from ammonia infested water to clean water all at once. This was the least of my worries though. After I got the icy water out of the cup, I floated him in a heated 3 gallon with like .5 of an inch of water because he could barely swim. changed the water out 2X a day. He started eating and then when he flared at king Bumi, I figured it was time for him to get his own abode. This took a week or so. he spent the next week recovering in a small veggie krisper I took from my fridge. It was brand new and I never bough veggies, so why not? Well, he passed the 1st hurdle - recovering from ammonia poisioning..the nest was could he survive the 5,000 miles road trip from alaska to NY in winter? Not only was he one of the only survivors but his back and swimming issues were gone by the time he got to New York!! Not sure how that happened but I had maracyn 2, amquel plus, fish protector, stress coat and IAL in all their cups. The other survivor was a red CT also from walmart. The rest froze in the yukon But that's a story for another day....NOW for the PICS!

DAY 1:

4 or 5 days later:

Right before leaving Alaska:


His tail has grown a little since the above pic - and that is what's left of my 5 gallon marineland hex it did not do well in the trip from Alaska...

I don' think this is a good pic but it was taken 2 days ago

Here is a music video I made that features him. I think I did a good job if I must say so myself:

It was a toss up between Sluggles and my 1st rescue LUCKY. He is the one who got me started on trying to save bettas. He stars in his own music video if you want to check out his story :D

Tikibirds is offline  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome