Meet Rowe- Adopted - Page 2 - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 02:32 PM
Member
 
Aluyasha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMan View Post
What is daphinia, a plant or bug?

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
Technically it is a tiny crustacean, very tiny. They can be found near frozen bloodworms at the petshop. I think they look brown in the package. People use them as a tasty treat but it is also recommended as a more natural way to help with SBD in bettas.
I would be careful with the AQ salt, as mentioned before, it does have a chance to make SBD worse. For bloat you want to stick with Epsom salt.
Also if it was me I would fast him one day a week, usually it is only recommended for bettas being fed cheaper foods but because he is prone to SBD I would do it anyways. You can always stop the fasting day if it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Bettas - Giovanni (HM), Burly (HMPK Giant).

Last edited by Aluyasha; 06-25-2016 at 02:38 PM.
Aluyasha is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
LittleMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 667
ok hey thanks Aluyasha, appreciate that, I will look for it.
By the way, if you know....are frozen bloodworms a pro or a con for helping with SBD in betta?????
LittleMan is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 02:47 PM
Member
 
Aluyasha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,013
I haven't really heard frozen bloodworms help or hurting with SBD. But they are good for them protein wise, and high protein would help him out. Though I think they should still just be treated as a snack.

Bettas - Giovanni (HM), Burly (HMPK Giant).
Aluyasha is offline  
 
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 03:06 PM
TFK Moderator
 
RussellTheShihTzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,095
Instead of salt use Seachem Stress Guard to treat tattered fins. I would not add salt to a tank with a fish with potential internal issues like SBD. And, like a dog with gastric torsion tendencies, Betta with SBD need several small meals every day; no skipped days.

And try to be patient. Just because people read a thread doesn't mean they have or can give advice. We have 10 times as many lurkers as we do members on at a time and they are counted in the "read" stats even though they can't post.

My 60-Year Aquarium and 53-Year Betta Addictions
https://www.bettafish.com/144-journa...addiction.html

If your dog thinks you are the greatest do not seek a second opinion
RussellTheShihTzu is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
LittleMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
Instead of salt use Seachem Stress Guard to treat tattered fins. I would not add salt to a tank with a fish with potential internal issues like SBD. And, like a dog with gastric torsion tendencies, Betta with SBD need several small meals every day; no skipped days.

And try to be patient. Just because people read a thread doesn't mean they have or can give advice. We have 10 times as many lurkers as we do members on at a time and they are counted in the "read" stats even though they can't post.
Ok seachem it is, no salt for him. Would the additive be used until the fins are healed and only for water changes? I'm using Prime for the conditioner.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
LittleMan is offline  
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
LittleMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMan View Post
Ok seachem it is, no salt for him. Would the additive be used until the fins are healed and only for water changes? I'm using Prime for the conditioner.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
Also, would it be prudent to stick with Atisons tiny pellets or the MLS or OMEGA?

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
LittleMan is offline  
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 04:36 PM
TFK Moderator
 
RussellTheShihTzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMan View Post
Also, would it be prudent to stick with Atisons tiny pellets or the MLS or OMEGA?

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
I only buy my Betta online. Sometimes they will bite their fins intransit. I generally use Stress Guard for 10 days or until I can see the fins are starting to regenerate. Sometimes the fins will look clear as they regenerate so it's hard to see. IME, it is a superior product to the ones API makes. Check this out to see how Stress Guard works:

Seachem - StressGuard

I think whatever he will eat is fine. I feed NLS every day along with a variety of frozen and live food as I all of my Betta are in community tanks. Frozen Daphnia is on the menu once per week. I don't think frozen Bloodworms will do any harm. IMO, the added protein helps with healing. I use a pipette to feed the frozen food so I can direct them at the Betta. After a while they will realize what the pipette means and attack it. BTW, despite the frozen and live my Betta will all still eat the NLS.

Good luck; he's a beautiful boy.

My 60-Year Aquarium and 53-Year Betta Addictions
https://www.bettafish.com/144-journa...addiction.html

If your dog thinks you are the greatest do not seek a second opinion
RussellTheShihTzu is offline  
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
LittleMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
I only buy my Betta online. Sometimes they will bite their fins intransit. I generally use Stress Guard for 10 days or until I can see the fins are starting to regenerate. Sometimes the fins will look clear as they regenerate so it's hard to see. IME, it is a superior product to the ones API makes. Check this out to see how Stress Guard works:

Seachem - StressGuard

I think whatever he will eat is fine. I feed NLS every day along with a variety of frozen and live food as I all of my Betta are in community tanks. Frozen Daphnia is on the menu once per week. I don't think frozen Bloodworms will do any harm. IMO, the added protein helps with healing. I use a pipette to feed the frozen food so I can direct them at the Betta. After a while they will realize what the pipette means and attack it. BTW, despite the frozen and live my Betta will all still eat the NLS.

Good luck; he's a beautiful boy.
This is great info, I will definitely take and utilize this well explained product and suggestions therein.

Thanks

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
LittleMan is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Relive: Rowe is up for ADOPTION! Aizui U.S. Classifieds 12 06-19-2016 05:59 PM
Adopted a new betta! kristengodsey Betta Fish Care 6 03-28-2016 10:40 PM
My adopted betta HuntFishRepeat Betta Pictures 3 03-16-2014 08:45 PM
adopted and rescue (like) :D betta lover1507 Betta Pictures 25 06-29-2012 02:09 PM
Adopted Betta for Friend, Very New at This NewBettaLover Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 4 06-15-2012 12:25 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome