Does your betta recognize you vs. other people? - Page 2 - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Like Tree17Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 04:54 PM
TFK Moderator
 
Rainbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,583
Honestly I'm not sure if Monet recognizes me or not. When I stand or sit by his tank he'll swim over and watch me, but I'm pretty sure he's hoping for food.
Phoenix777 likes this.
Rainbo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 01:06 PM
Member
 
Aqua Aurora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: South East PA
Posts: 5,270
Yes they can tell the difference between people, some just react to main provider (feeder) vrs others in different ways.
One of my passed bettas, Magnus, I was the food person but he LOVED my husband-always enjoyed interacting with him, not me.
My least aggressive betta ever (sadly also passed away), Alastor, LOVED EVERYONE, always wanted attention from strangers or my husband and I, but he preferred faces and kisses at glass not fingers.
My husband's girl, Chiyome, loves him and gets jealous when she sees him giving attention of the other betta tanks in the office-she'll thrash around trying to get his attention then pout and ignore him when he comes back over... She also flares at me/my finger but never him.

[Started updating my Journal again, view here]
Due to photobuckets bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my old photos helpful.
Aqua Aurora is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 01:49 PM
Member
 
fleetfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,378
Sapphire loves me, hates everyone else. I was away for four days and he's used to only ME feeding him, but my mum was taking care of my cat and him. She has no experience with bettas or fish in general so I had to write precise instructions on Saph's care. So she followed everything to a T, turning on the aquarium light in the morning, feeding him, and (I assume) playing with him a little. He flared the moment she turned the light on and wouldn't stop until she went away or turned the light off for the night or until he got his nummies. He's usually a gentleman when I'm around and flares only when I stimulate him ... but he wouldn't stop with her. It was very out of character with him, lol. As for Anubis, I just picked him up today, but when I see a betta eating just after coming home that's a good thing -- I know then that he's healthy and hungry, and so the bonding/training can begin, in a way. :)
Phoenix777 likes this.
fleetfish is offline  
 
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 12:38 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 21
My Grandma lives in assisted living, and has a betta. Twice a week, I come over to do water changes and check him over. He's always really relaxed and friendly with her, but as soon as he sees me, he always flares and gets so angry.

Which makes sense. She feeds him. I'm the one who is always (unavoidably) disturbing his bubble nests.

It's funny he dislikes me so much, because when she first got him, she was planning on just putting him in a vase with a plant in it. I'm the one who convinced her to get a 3 gallon tank with a filter and heater. Seeing him go from skinny rusty orange red to a feisty, gorgeous blood red with iridescent blue-green streaks in his fins amazed her.
Phoenix777 likes this.
RuneFell is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:11 PM
Member
 
Aqua Aurora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: South East PA
Posts: 5,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuneFell View Post
My Grandma lives in assisted living, and has a betta. Twice a week, I come over to do water changes and check him over. He's always really relaxed and friendly with her, but as soon as he sees me, he always flares and gets so angry.

Which makes sense. She feeds him. I'm the one who is always (unavoidably) disturbing his bubble nests.

It's funny he dislikes me so much, because when she first got him, she was planning on just putting him in a vase with a plant in it. I'm the one who convinced her to get a 3 gallon tank with a filter and heater. Seeing him go from skinny rusty orange red to a feisty, gorgeous blood red with iridescent blue-green streaks in his fins amazed her.
I'm so glad to hear you encouraged a better set up for the fish, your grandmother enjoys it more since the Betta is healthier/more vibrant, and you tend the fish + visit. So many in assisted living are just left and forgotten.
Phoenix777 likes this.

[Started updating my Journal again, view here]
Due to photobuckets bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my old photos helpful.
Aqua Aurora is offline  
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:47 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Aurora View Post
I'm so glad to hear you encouraged a better set up for the fish, your grandmother enjoys it more since the Betta is healthier/more vibrant, and you tend the fish + visit. So many in assisted living are just left and forgotten.
The betta was actually a housewarming gift to my grandma from one of my aunts, who kept a bunch of them in vases, and gave it to her in one to put on her sewing desk. When my aunt saw how much my Grandma's Yotzee had changed, she went out and put her own betta in better setups as well, so I managed to convert at least one other person.

I had to chuckle, though, when I came over one day shortly after setting everything up, and my Grandma told me that she was convinced there was something wrong with the tank. There were constantly large clumps of foam forming at the top! She kept carefully spooning it out, but the clump of bubbles would be back shortly. Took Yotzee a long time to forgive her for that. It's been almost two years, and he's still trying to perfect those bubble nests. None of my own betta at home make them nearly as often or as big as he does.
Falcon and Phoenix777 like this.
RuneFell is offline  
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Phoenix777's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Aurora View Post
Yes they can tell the difference between people, some just react to main provider (feeder) vrs others in different ways.
One of my passed bettas, Magnus, I was the food person but he LOVED my husband-always enjoyed interacting with him, not me.
My least aggressive betta ever (sadly also passed away), Alastor, LOVED EVERYONE, always wanted attention from strangers or my husband and I, but he preferred faces and kisses at glass not fingers.
My husband's girl, Chiyome, loves him and gets jealous when she sees him giving attention of the other betta tanks in the office-she'll thrash around trying to get his attention then pout and ignore him when he comes back over... She also flares at me/my finger but never him.
lol Awesome post! And refutes the theory that "bettas only interact/recognize people because they associate them with food."
Phoenix777 is offline  
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:14 PM
TFK Moderator
 
RussellTheShihTzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,059
Betta usually react most strongly with those who interact with them which is most often the person who feeds them and changes their water. In my house that's me because my husband couldn't care any less about aquariums. But...all of my fish (and frogs) react to him, too, not just the Betta.

My fish also respond to the sight of our English Setter, Boo, and to both Shih Tzu, Russell and Edward. I would think that Shih Tzu vocals would reverberate though water which may be why the Betta react when they bark, too. Ugh.

My 60-Year Aquarium and 53-Year Betta Addictions
https://www.bettafish.com/144-journa...addiction.html

If your dog thinks you are the greatest do not seek a second opinion

Last edited by RussellTheShihTzu; 06-20-2017 at 02:49 AM.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline  
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 12:38 AM
Member
 
DangerousAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,023
Aquarium
Mine know me, and know when it's feeding time, and when I'm just spending time with them, it's so fun watching them interact with me, I do different things with each of them, some get more of an energetic response from me because that's what their personality is like (Kenai), and others get more calm and loving reactions (Ollie, because he's older, and has slowed down a bit), they even recognize and react to my mom, who feeds them on the weekends when I'm with my BF.


My Current Boys: Ike, Ra, Ralphie
In Loving Memory Of: Dangerous (my baby), Chili, Oscar, Eclipse, Kip, Storm, Chloe, Snowy, Onyx, Speckles, Jasper, Oliver, Buttons, Stella, Xena, Zanzibar, Kai, Loki, Merlin, Jedi, Mullen Topaz, Ollie, Amethyst, Jericho, Igneel, Lil' Specks, Prince Onyx II, Caspian, Louie, Napoleon, Jinx, Jeremiah, Kronos, Nash,
Tadashi, Nova

Last edited by DangerousAngel; 06-20-2017 at 12:43 AM.
DangerousAngel is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do Bettas Recognize Us? Olivia27 Betta Chat 24 02-27-2016 08:37 AM
Anyone recognize this? Silverfang Other Fish 6 05-13-2012 08:56 PM
Betta didn't recognize me! Joaquin Betta Chat 3 04-22-2012 02:41 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome