How old do you think she was when I got her? - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Posts: 3,382
How old do you think she was when I got her?

Based on the pictures, ballpark guesses? Just for fun 😊

Could a moderator rotate the image for me? Or could someone tell me how to do it?

Attachment 964100
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Finnfinnfriend3.jpg (36.6 KB, 12 views)

2.5G - 1 female betta: "Miss Cleo"
5.5G - 1 betta: Half-moon King "Cobalt"
10G (with 4G of water) 1 female betta "Grace"
29G - 1 gold marble angelfish "Bartholomew"
1 Male fancy guppy "Guplet"

Last edited by RussellTheShihTzu; 07-11-2019 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Rotated photo
finnfinnfriend is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:40 PM
TFK Moderator
 
RussellTheShihTzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 17,857
Done!!

My 60-Year Aquarium and 53-Year Betta Addictions
https://www.bettafish.com/144-journa...addiction.html

If your dog thinks you are the greatest do not seek a second opinion
RussellTheShihTzu is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:41 PM
Member
 
RickyTan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 264
5-7 weeks assuming she is roughly .75 to 1 inch head to tail.
RickyTan is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Posts: 3,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
Done!!
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyTan View Post
5-7 weeks assuming she is roughly .75 to 1 inch head to tail.
She was a little under an inch I think. How sweet! That makes her 10 months old now. My avatar is her from a couple months ago.

How long until she is at or near full size?

2.5G - 1 female betta: "Miss Cleo"
5.5G - 1 betta: Half-moon King "Cobalt"
10G (with 4G of water) 1 female betta "Grace"
29G - 1 gold marble angelfish "Bartholomew"
1 Male fancy guppy "Guplet"
finnfinnfriend is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:07 AM
Member
 
RickyTan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 264
In my opinion betta never stop growing, they only slow down in growth as they get older . The most growth will happen in the first 3 months from newly hatched fry to roughly 2 inches head to tail assuming normal growth rate. (long fin males will have started growing longer/ caudals at this point)

Genetics/food availability/temperature/water chemistry/quality plays a huge role in betta growth/size. I would already consider her to be at "full size" but she should continue to grow, albeit rather slowly when comparing growth to her first 3 months.
RickyTan is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Posts: 3,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyTan View Post
In my opinion betta never stop growing, they only slow down in growth as they get older . The most growth will happen in the first 3 months from newly hatched fry to roughly 2 inches head to tail assuming normal growth rate. (long fin males will have started growing longer/ caudals at this point)

Genetics/food availability/temperature/water chemistry/quality plays a huge role in betta growth/size. I would already consider her to be at "full size" but she should continue to grow, albeit rather slowly when comparing growth to her first 3 months.
Oh yes, I forgot to clarify, I know that fish continue to grow throughout their lives. I meant to say adult size rather than full size.

I think she grew slower than typical because she was about 6 months when her growth really slowed down. I attribute that to the 77-78* water. She probably would have grown faster in the low 80's. I kept her water clean and fed her a high quality diet, so I hope I didn't stunt her!

I didn't know they typically reached adult size so quickly! Does that mean the Betta at the store (that aren't babies) can be as young as a little over 3 months?

2.5G - 1 female betta: "Miss Cleo"
5.5G - 1 betta: Half-moon King "Cobalt"
10G (with 4G of water) 1 female betta "Grace"
29G - 1 gold marble angelfish "Bartholomew"
1 Male fancy guppy "Guplet"
finnfinnfriend is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:15 PM
Member
 
RickyTan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 264
Full adult size at 3 months is not typical for betta bred for commercial purposes. It is only achievable through power growing, 100% water changes or 100s+ gallons of water to dilute growth hormones and power feeding high protein/fat food multiple times a day, usually only done by people that show betta and want "quicker" results from their projects.

Most betta we see at the store that are "full adult size" tend to be older at around 6+ months of age.

kinda off topic but slow growth is not necessarily bad, a lot of older fish/betta keeper and myself believe betta fish used to have longer lifespans of 4-8 years back when heaters weren't readily available for the hobby, compared to most betta fish that have a lifespan of 2-4 years these days with heaters. It could be due to poor genetics from too much line breeding, but in my opinion it has a lot to do with the speeding up of their metabolism/growth rates with constant high temperatures.
RickyTan is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 03:56 PM
TFK Moderator
 
RussellTheShihTzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 17,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyTan View Post
Full adult size at 3 months is not typical for betta bred for commercial purposes. It is only achievable through power growing, 100% water changes or 100s+ gallons of water to dilute growth hormones and power feeding high protein/fat food multiple times a day, usually only done by people that show betta and want "quicker" results from their projects.

Most betta we see at the store that are "full adult size" tend to be older at around 6+ months of age.

kinda off topic but slow growth is not necessarily bad, a lot of older fish/betta keeper and myself believe betta fish used to have longer lifespans of 4-8 years back when heaters weren't readily available for the hobby, compared to most betta fish that have a lifespan of 2-4 years these days with heaters. It could be due to poor genetics from too much line breeding, but in my opinion it has a lot to do with the speeding up of their metabolism/growth rates with constant high temperatures.
This is interesting because all of my pre-heater era Betta lived seven years or more.

My 60-Year Aquarium and 53-Year Betta Addictions
https://www.bettafish.com/144-journa...addiction.html

If your dog thinks you are the greatest do not seek a second opinion
RussellTheShihTzu is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 04:57 PM
TFK Moderator
 
Rainbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyTan View Post
Full adult size at 3 months is not typical for betta bred for commercial purposes. It is only achievable through power growing, 100% water changes or 100s+ gallons of water to dilute growth hormones and power feeding high protein/fat food multiple times a day, usually only done by people that show betta and want "quicker" results from their projects.

Most betta we see at the store that are "full adult size" tend to be older at around 6+ months of age.

kinda off topic but slow growth is not necessarily bad, a lot of older fish/betta keeper and myself believe betta fish used to have longer lifespans of 4-8 years back when heaters weren't readily available for the hobby, compared to most betta fish that have a lifespan of 2-4 years these days with heaters. It could be due to poor genetics from too much line breeding, but in my opinion it has a lot to do with the speeding up of their metabolism/growth rates with constant high temperatures.
I wonder if turning the heaters down to 74 to 76 degrees during the winter, and cutting back on food, would help? I know the with some species of tortoise it's important, for their long term health, to give them a cold period to hibernate in during the winter.
Rainbo is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 05:21 PM
TFK Moderator
 
Rainbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,452
Rethinking it a bit... Maybe turn the heaters down at night in the winter, and then back up during the day. It looks like that would follow the temperature pattern that betta would have in the wild.
Rainbo is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome