Male Turq HMDT with Red Wash For Adoption - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Olivia27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 3,355
Male Turq HMDT with Red Wash For Adoption

Actually, it's more like: will be up for adoption. Soon. This boy is still recovering as we speak (as you can see). But since finding a home is always a looooong process, I decided to advertise him now. Everyone say hi to Techno.





There is an adoption fee for this guy. I know usually my fosters are free, but this guy just came at the wrong time. Sorry guys. He'd be $10. Shipping fee is $12 for Priority or $35 for Priority Express. That includes heat pack fee so if your area's weather forecast stays above 55F the whole time (from the day I send him out to the day he's supposed to arrive) then I'd take $2 off shipping cost. Please note that unless the weather stays constantly warm I will NOT exclude the heat pack even if you ask for it. My shipping days are Monday, Wednesday and Friday. But sometimes, very occasionally, I ship Saturdays too. I live right in the heart of Michigan. For now. At the first week of May, if Techno is still with me, he will join my permanents in their travel to my pet sitter: OUOhYeah2016. She lives in Ohio. TBH I haven't discussed with her yet what will happen if someone wants Techno during the summer months so... just PM me I guess? We'll figure it out.

Anyway. About Techno: as you can see from the photos above, this little guy likes to flare. Even while sideways he won't miss an opportunity to flash that beard. So he's probably not a good candidate for one of those divided tanks where the fish can see each other. As for community... I can't say, but do remember he's on the feisty side.

I would prefer if he goes to someone who is either experienced, or has done adequate amount of research. By that, I mean someone who:
- knows how much water change to do in accordance to tank size. I am not one of those people who believes anything below 2.5g is torture chamber, but they can be if the humans are unwilling/don't know how to keep up.
- has a heater and thermometer. The magic number is 78-82F, but I'll take 76-77 as well.
- feeds high quality food. This usually translates to NLS or Omega One, but any brand name that doesn't have my weight in grains is good enough
- knows how much to feed and how often. "A pinch" or "however much they can eat in x minutes" is not what I want to hear.

Aaand that's all. I'm not fussy with anything else, we have enough experts here to answer any questions. Now that makes about 99% of you doesn't it? I post daily updates on Techno (and everyone else in the house really) in my journal, so you can stop by if you want to get to know him a little better. This is the page where I first met Techno: https://www.bettafish.com/showthread....639441&page=70 Let me know! x

Merah (SIP) | Silhouette | Willow | Sapho | Nichi | Cypris | Cobalt
In loving memory of Serendipity

Last edited by Olivia27; 04-16-2016 at 07:08 PM.
Olivia27 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Olivia27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 3,355
Quick bump and update. I've talked to Katie, and she said she's OK with shipping Techno out from OH if anyone wants him by then. He will be shipped to OH between 1st to 3rd May - depending on how early I'm willing to part with my boys That said, this guy is recovering quick. While still struggling, I have finally seen him upright ( see below ). His best case scenario, as well as for his two humans, is getting adopted before May 1st. Remember: while he's still with us, he'd be housed in a boring temporary tank with nothing else but a heater and a thermometer. He'd be much, much happier in an actual tank. Like yours! Do consider him folks x thanks!


Merah (SIP) | Silhouette | Willow | Sapho | Nichi | Cypris | Cobalt
In loving memory of Serendipity
Olivia27 is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 03:45 PM
Member
 
DangerousAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,023
Aquarium
What a cutie pie! I'm glad he's slowly doing better, does he have SBD? My newest seems to have it, what are you doing to treat him?
I wish I had space, but alas, I'm all full Good luck finding him a forever home!


My Current Boys: Ike, Ra, Ralphie
In Loving Memory Of: Dangerous (my baby), Chili, Oscar, Eclipse, Kip, Storm, Chloe, Snowy, Onyx, Speckles, Jasper, Oliver, Buttons, Stella, Xena, Zanzibar, Kai, Loki, Merlin, Jedi, Mullen Topaz, Ollie, Amethyst, Jericho, Igneel, Lil' Specks, Prince Onyx II, Caspian, Louie, Napoleon, Jinx, Jeremiah, Kronos, Nash,
Tadashi, Nova
DangerousAngel is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Olivia27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 3,355
*peeks at your signature* yeeaa you have a full house :P and yep, this is SBD through and through. After reading several different posts in the forum I decided to do more of a "gradual" treatment rather than dosing ES right off the bat. Techno started off with nothing but warm water, fasting and flaring sessions for 2-3 nights. When he doesn't improve, he gets half a tsp of ES (he's in a 1.4g). That's where we're currently at. In my head he's supposed to start on brine shrimps or daphnia by now, but he still feels like fasting apparently. Oh well, it's his treatment plan. He decides. I don't know if it's wise to do antibiotics when his SBD is probably not bacteria-based, but that's the next level if things don't improve within the next five days or so. That said, since he's already improving, I think we're sticking with the ES and - hopefully - shrimps. The tannin is there just because *shrug*

edit: just because anyone can read this post, I'll chip in on The Great Pea Debate. While I do not believe a boiled, skinned, chopped up pea can kill or injure a Betta, I also believe that there are (much) better ways now. That whole pea thing must be an ancient technique. I first heard of it when I did research before getting my first Betta (almost two years ago now) - from a friend of mine who had his last aquarium some ten years (ish) ago. He's a successful aquarist, but for the lone reason that frozen daphnia is readily available, I prefer to avoid pea.

Merah (SIP) | Silhouette | Willow | Sapho | Nichi | Cypris | Cobalt
In loving memory of Serendipity

Last edited by Olivia27; 04-20-2016 at 04:15 PM.
Olivia27 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 04:25 PM
Member
 
SplashyBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivia27 View Post
edit: just because anyone can read this post, I'll chip in on The Great Pea Debate. While I do not believe a boiled, skinned, chopped up pea can kill or injure a Betta, I also believe that there are (much) better ways now. That whole pea thing must be an ancient technique. I first heard of it when I did research before getting my first Betta (almost two years ago now) - from a friend of mine who had his last aquarium some ten years (ish) ago. He's a successful aquarist, but for the lone reason that frozen daphnia is readily available, I prefer to avoid pea.
It's not really an ancient technique, it's just that it's only meant for omnivorous fish, such as goldfish. Somehow along the way people heard of it being recommended for other fish (mainly in the goldfish community I believe) and distorted that to mean it would be fine for bettas too. Unfortunately not everyone understands that what works for one species of fish isn't always an all-species method.

Anyway, good luck with Techno!

Romeo ~ Gilligan ~ Unnamed
SplashyBetta is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Olivia27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 3,355
(( I'm just finding reasons to keep "legally" bumping this post now ^^" ))

Aw I see. That's interesting. Thanks for the correction!

Additional notes: I've never had a community tank, but then someone pointed out that maybe Techno isn't a good fit for one. Because apparently sometimes when you're trying to feed your bottom dwellers, the Betta swoops in and joins the party - and then you accidentally overfeed. With a guy that's prone to SBD like this one that may not be the best scenario. I'm not adding to the adopters requirement list above but do keep that in mind. Another thing: Techno is afraid of my blue BF RT boy Cobalt. He was floated with long fin males before (as seen in the original post) but he really only react to Cobalt. I was thinking that it's probably because Co is much larger? Cobalt is a long fin with the typical stocky, thick PK body. Not sure if that plays a role but since most of us have multiple Bettas, I thought I'd point it out anyway.

Merah (SIP) | Silhouette | Willow | Sapho | Nichi | Cypris | Cobalt
In loving memory of Serendipity
Olivia27 is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 08:55 PM
Member
 
MysticSky22301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Central Iowa, USA
Posts: 1,584
I would love him but problems with his swim bladder I might not be the best candidate with a 10m old daughter to keep a constant eye on
MysticSky22301 is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Olivia27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 3,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticSky22301 View Post
I would love him but problems with his swim bladder I might not be the best candidate with a 10m old daughter to keep a constant eye on
Well there's no pressure, but he's not going nowhere while he's still sick like right now. If you take him he'd arrive healthy. I imagine the only special needs he has would be: 1) absolutely no overfeeding whatsoever, and 2) food must be high quality. But even then it's not like SBD is lethal or difficult to treat :) in case he has a relapse just stop feeding and start on ES. That said, this boy previously lived in a cold cup that only gets wc once a week, and fed ~7 freeze dried bloodworms (not pre soaked) every day. It's honestly no wonder he got so sick. As long as you keep up with maintenance and quality feeding, he should be fine.

Techno really is progressing rapidly by the way! I'm expecting him to be good to go by Monday.

Merah (SIP) | Silhouette | Willow | Sapho | Nichi | Cypris | Cobalt
In loving memory of Serendipity
Olivia27 is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 11:03 PM
Member
 
DangerousAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,023
Aquarium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivia27 View Post
*peeks at your signature* yeeaa you have a full house :P and yep, this is SBD through and through. After reading several different posts in the forum I decided to do more of a "gradual" treatment rather than dosing ES right off the bat. Techno started off with nothing but warm water, fasting and flaring sessions for 2-3 nights. When he doesn't improve, he gets half a tsp of ES (he's in a 1.4g). That's where we're currently at. In my head he's supposed to start on brine shrimps or daphnia by now, but he still feels like fasting apparently. Oh well, it's his treatment plan. He decides. I don't know if it's wise to do antibiotics when his SBD is probably not bacteria-based, but that's the next level if things don't improve within the next five days or so. That said, since he's already improving, I think we're sticking with the ES and - hopefully - shrimps. The tannin is there just because *shrug*

edit: just because anyone can read this post, I'll chip in on The Great Pea Debate. While I do not believe a boiled, skinned, chopped up pea can kill or injure a Betta, I also believe that there are (much) better ways now. That whole pea thing must be an ancient technique. I first heard of it when I did research before getting my first Betta (almost two years ago now) - from a friend of mine who had his last aquarium some ten years (ish) ago. He's a successful aquarist, but for the lone reason that frozen daphnia is readily available, I prefer to avoid pea.
LOL
Sounds good, I think I might try that for my newest, I just can't seem to figure out what's wrong, he also seems to be on one of those self-induced fasts -.-

I also prefer the Daphnia over the pea, I just don't see how that'd work for a fish like a Betta.


My Current Boys: Ike, Ra, Ralphie
In Loving Memory Of: Dangerous (my baby), Chili, Oscar, Eclipse, Kip, Storm, Chloe, Snowy, Onyx, Speckles, Jasper, Oliver, Buttons, Stella, Xena, Zanzibar, Kai, Loki, Merlin, Jedi, Mullen Topaz, Ollie, Amethyst, Jericho, Igneel, Lil' Specks, Prince Onyx II, Caspian, Louie, Napoleon, Jinx, Jeremiah, Kronos, Nash,
Tadashi, Nova
DangerousAngel is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Olivia27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 3,355
Hi guys. Techno is no longer available xx

Merah (SIP) | Silhouette | Willow | Sapho | Nichi | Cypris | Cobalt
In loving memory of Serendipity
Olivia27 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Big Red Male VT For Adoption Olivia27 Betta Fish Marketplace 2 03-17-2016 11:54 PM
turq pk male x blue hmpk female syukor Betta Spawn Logs 8 02-14-2016 01:44 PM
Red/Black Butterfly HMDT - Red Cambo CT ChibreneyDragon Betta Spawn Logs 17 01-07-2013 10:16 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome