Cross breeding - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 6
Cross breeding

I know it is possible to cross wild bettas species with domestic type splenden, but I am curious about when the offspring would actually look like. For example, if you were to breed an alien hybrid with a plakat, what would the fry look like? Would they have patchy color or would they mix the wild's pattern and plakat's color?
craeture is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 03:36 PM
TFK Moderator
 
indjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Posts: 5,661
I have no actual experience nor have I discussed it with others. But theoretically speaking, offspring should inherit half of both genes. Not all fry will look the same, some more to wild, some more plakat, and some may look totally different (color pattern). Color also depends on what color genes the plakat carries (assuming the wild type carries all of the color genes)

From what I see, wild types can pass on metallic genes, eventually creating the copper and dragons we see today. It slightly changes how splenden genes combine.
indjo is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 10:17 PM
Member
 
RickyTan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 257
Crossing Alien hybrid (hybrid, predominately mahachai) with plakat (splenden) would create fatter/shorter bodied hybrids/aliens. Color would depend on the genetics/color of the plakat (because most if not all aliens are metallic,full mask/partial mask,spread iridescence).

As for crossing other species, results may vary, for example
Crossing male Splenden (black dragon) with Imbellis female (wild type brown) yielded 100% females with wild type brown body and red fins.

Imbellis/Splenden hybrid female (wild type brown, red fins) crossed with male splenden (Turqoise, spread iridiscence) yielded some fry with imbellis-like color patterns (red crescent, see picture below)as well as some fry that resembled normal multicolor/redwash splendens. Behaviour wise, they are very shy and will seldom flare in the presence of humans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hybrid2.jpg (21.1 KB, 3 views)
RickyTan is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to RickyTan For This Useful Post:
indjo (09-24-2019)
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 6
Thank you for the info! What would the fry look like if you were to cross a hybrid with a long tailed splenden?
craeture is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 05:20 PM
Member
 
RickyTan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 257
The term hybrid refers to a wide spectrum of different species that have been crossed, such as aliens that have metallic colors or imbellis/ splenden hybrids that may have very little iridescence. Choosing one hybrid vs another can drastically change the results so I cant exactly say "how" the resulting fry would look like, However... as for the tail type...
I would imagine it is very similar to crossing a long fin(HM 4-6 rays) with a Plakat (round tail 2 rays), which results in a poor delta/veil mix tail caudal (see image below). eventually the caudal reached a length similar to that of other long fins, but had a very unbalanced and uneven appearance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg delta.jpg (14.2 KB, 2 views)
RickyTan is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 04:44 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 3
Its seems some domestic bettas are not fully compatible with wild imbellis. As I have cases of low survivability of fries from breeding Imbellis with domestic (masked bettas). Most of these fries do not reach free swimming stage. And those few that do grow up resembles only the wild type (imbellis).
Sim Pern Chong is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 04:45 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyTan View Post
Crossing Alien hybrid (hybrid, predominately mahachai) with plakat (splenden) would create fatter/shorter bodied hybrids/aliens. Color would depend on the genetics/color of the plakat (because most if not all aliens are metallic,full mask/partial mask,spread iridescence).

As for crossing other species, results may vary, for example
Crossing male Splenden (black dragon) with Imbellis female (wild type brown) yielded 100% females with wild type brown body and red fins.

Imbellis/Splenden hybrid female (wild type brown, red fins) crossed with male splenden (Turqoise, spread iridiscence) yielded some fry with imbellis-like color patterns (red crescent, see picture below)as well as some fry that resembled normal multicolor/redwash splendens. Behaviour wise, they are very shy and will seldom flare in the presence of humans.
Nice hybrid.
Sim Pern Chong is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 05:19 PM
Member
 
RickyTan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim Pern Chong View Post
Its seems some domestic bettas are not fully compatible with wild imbellis. As I have cases of low survivability of fries from breeding Imbellis with domestic (masked bettas). Most of these fries do not reach free swimming stage. And those few that do grow up resembles only the wild type (imbellis).
I have experienced similar problems as well...when crossing certain wild types such as smaragdina with splenden the fry never reach the swimming stage. In my last cross of hybrid imbellis with splenden, I observed well over 30 fry attached to the bubble nest , however, less than 5 made it to free swimming, and only 3 survived to adulthood.

Attached below is a phylogenetic tree, species in the same group may have an easier time crossing (lower pre/post zygotic barriers), such as mahachaiensis with splendens may have more viable fry compared to imbellis with splendens because they are more closely related.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-s2.0-S2214540013000352-gr1.jpg (26.9 KB, 14 views)
RickyTan is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 11:09 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyTan View Post
I have experienced similar problems as well...when crossing certain wild types such as smaragdina with splenden the fry never reach the swimming stage. In my last cross of hybrid imbellis with splenden, I observed well over 30 fry attached to the bubble nest , however, less than 5 made it to free swimming, and only 3 survived to adulthood.

Attached below is a phylogenetic tree, species in the same group may have an easier time crossing (lower pre/post zygotic barriers), such as mahachaiensis with splendens may have more viable fry compared to imbellis with splendens because they are more closely related.
Thanks for the interesting observation. I have always assumed that Imbellis and Splendens are the most closely related. In fact, older literature even labelled Imbellis as Splendens.
Sim Pern Chong is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome