Hello everyone! I literally just registered here because I felt like you all would be very helpful in the future (and even now!) for the care of my (soon to be) new betta! I haven't gone out and bought him yet, because I still need to cycle the tank and find somewhere to set it up. I plan on doing a planted tank, and just have a few questions:
- What kinds of plants do you suggest? I wanted to have a nice moss carpet like i've seen in some aquascaping videos.
- The tank is going to be a 10gallon, and will house 1 male betta (unless I can find some fantastic looking females), are there any tankmates that you can suggest? Or would it be better all around for me to just have him alone in a 10gal?
- Since it's a planted tank, I bought some substrate for planted tanks (naturally). Is it alright to put aquarium sand on top of it or no?
- I would like to get some shrimp and snails for the tank! I've heard they're a great indicator for tank quality (snails in particular), how many could I comfortably fit?
- I would like to add dragonstone for decoration and growing moss on, but I know it has some sharp edges and can really hurt a betta. Should I stick with fake stones instead? Or can I smooth down dragonstone at all?
- How long should I cycle the tank for?
- Final question, and probably a silly one. Since the tank is 10gal, and I only am really planning on one betta (despite question 2), how often should water changes be done? Still weekly? Bi-weekly?
Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it!