Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Oil City PA. USA
The necessary things you need to make any aquarium successful, happy and healthy plants and fish are these.
1. No matter how big the tank, water quality. Testing and water changes.
2. If your tank is planted no matter how heavy. Substrate, weather it be sand or Fluorite or any brand in between. Needs to have the nutrients to sustain plants.
3. Lighting is required for all living plants. There are 5 types of lighting. Low light, low to medium light, medium light, medium to high lighting, and last but not least, High light. Different plants have different light requirements. Know what plants need what type.
4. Filtration, every tank needs a filter weather it be a sponge filter, HOB 3-4 stage filter, canister filter (depending on the tank size. ) I would recommend at very least the filter be rated at least 5 times the tank amount of water per hour. I always over filter my tanks mainly because I over crowd the tanks with fish knowingly.Because experience is on my side.
5. Heater. recommended an adjustable heater that can be set to temp. required for the fish in the tank. Also one that has a shutdown built in so the temp never goes into the danger level.
6. Always, before buying any tank know what you have for space requirements so you know what type of tank will fit your needs. Know what fish you want in the tank and know what their needs are. Same with plants. If the research is not done to insure the health of the plants, fish and overall health of the tank, You set your self up to fail. Don't fail Read, ask questions, and ask again until you are sure of your success.
Years ago when there was no internet Us old guys did trial and error. Believe me it not only cost money but also the lives of the fish we were responsible for. With the forum, and the internet You have no excuse not to have the best information available.
Take the advise of the Old guys because we've been there. Every one here has their own opinions and the way they do things. Then there are others that parrot the information they have heard. Information is information Good or bad, Do the research Know what your getting into.
Last edited by Old Dog 59; 03-14-2019 at 08:28 AM.