Mustard Gas Mas Finally has EGGS! - Page 6 - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Like Tree8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Ma Betta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: California
Posts: 184
5-8-19: SPAWN LOG #10
I have posted everywhere asking for help with these worm like particles in the Mustard Gas fry tank and no one seems to know what they are. I siphon them out twice a day and they keep coming back. I'll attach more pics below. I dont want to take any chances so I am removing each baby one at a time. The particles are all over so I have to be careful not to accidentally take any with the fry so I need to use a small dropper to catch them.
Masitos are still super tiny and really quick so this will take all night. I don't think they will all make it but I will try my best to get as many as possible.
I have class tomorrow and a quiz but I don't know what else to do.This is a very stressful and frustrating situation but i will remain hopeful that all will work out. ONE BABY AT A TIME!!!.....😩😰😞😥&# x1f613;....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190508_074547_HDR(1)(1)_1557376356246.jpg (18.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20190508_085417(1)_1557376366363.jpg (32.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20190508_174947_HDR(1)(1)_1557376374238.jpg (31.8 KB, 10 views)
Ma Betta is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Ma Betta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: California
Posts: 184
Almost midnight and still going. I'm plucking each fry out one at a time with a medicine dropper so I don't suck up particles. I slipped and fell and now my back hurts but got to get this done! See pic below at the ones I caught so far. HOW MANY DO YOU THINK THERE ARE? This is only about half of them....😂
Anyway...back to work. 😩


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Betta View Post
5-8-19: SPAWN LOG #10
I have posted everywhere asking for help with these worm like particles in the Mustard Gas fry tank and no one seems to know what they are. I siphon them out twice a day and they keep coming back. I'll attach more pics below. I dont want to take any chances so I am removing each baby one at a time. The particles are all over so I have to be careful not to accidentally take any with the fry so I need to use a small dropper to catch them.
Masitos are still super tiny and really quick so this will take all night. I don't think they will all make it but I will try my best to get as many as possible.
I have class tomorrow and a quiz but I don't know what else to do.This is a very stressful and frustrating situation but i will remain hopeful that all will work out. ONE BABY AT A TIME!!!.....😩😰😞😥&# x1f613;....
Ma Betta is offline  
post #53 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 02:49 AM
Member
 
Old Dog 59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Oil City PA. USA
Posts: 908
Aquarium
Oh Ma I can't think of any thing worse to have happen. They do look like some type of worms or larva. Could they have come from the food? But than you would have seen them before this.

You fell? Are you alright? And on top of all this having to go to class with no sleep. Do you think you got as many fry as you could save? This is starting to turn into a bad dream for you. I wish I were not 3000 niles away and could help. Please take care of your self, You are more important then anything else.
Old Dog 59 is offline  
 
post #54 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Ma Betta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: California
Posts: 184
I started around 7pm and nowIt's almoat 3:00am and just rounded up the last of the fry wirh a medicine dropper (pics of 1st and 2nd round). Had to make sure not to pick up any particles and pollute the new water. When they say something is as tough as herding cats? Well, I say try catching betta fry with a medicine dropper! 😂
Yeah I fell and now my back hurts but it should feel better when I go lay down. Thanks for asking O.D.... 😌
All I can say is this really sucks. But you gotta do what you gotta do. Although there were a few more casualties (maybe 20), No betta was left behind!
Fingers crossed the fry survive in their emergency tank. I'm a little nervous as it is 100% new water. I didnt even want to use the old filter.
Can you guess how many fry are pictured in both batches I took out? 😂



Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog 59 View Post
Oh Ma I can't think of any thing worse to have happen. They do look like some type of worms or larva. Could they have come from the food? But than you would have seen them before this.

You fell? Are you alright? And on top of all this having to go to class with no sleep. Do you think you got as many fry as you could save? This is starting to turn into a bad dream for you. I wish I were not 3000 niles away and could help. Please take care of your self, You are more important then anything else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PhotoEditor_20190509_023946528_1557394848382.jpg (34.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg PhotoEditor_20190509_023908445_1557394864820.jpg (37.8 KB, 8 views)
Ma Betta is offline  
post #55 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 04:59 AM
Member
 
Old Dog 59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Oil City PA. USA
Posts: 908
Aquarium
I would guess there are over 150 but really haven't had time to count them. You have done an amazing job. You need to get some sleep and rest your back. I hope your class isn't an early one. Did you get any time to study?

It's too bad you can't go back on the LFS. That is the real shame here. They are selling plants with problems. But than again my dear, and I hate to say this because I think what you are doing is fantastic. But Rule #1 Never put any thing into a tank with out quarantining it first for at least a week. I know there was a hurry for the cover and hides and choices have to be made. We do the very best we can with the situation we are handed. You have done so much and your time will be rewarded. The fry will survive and make others happy that they did.
Old Dog 59 is offline  
post #56 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Ma Betta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: California
Posts: 184
I totally agree. Strange thing is....I have the same plants in three other tanks one of which I split with the fry tank. Perhaps the half that went into the fry tank had the problem. The daughter and co-owner of the LFS is a Biologist and has always taken extra precaution with all of the plants they grow as well as their livestock. I did go back to them with a sample of the particles polluting my tank and they felt horrible. She is determined to find out what they are and will double check everything going forward.
I honestly think it was a fluke but like you said I should have quarantined them anyway. Better safe than sorry. Thank you as always for your encouragement.....I'm going to take a Motrin and hit the sack. I will check on them first thing and enter a spawn log in the evening for an update.
Good night everyone! 💜

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog 59 View Post
I would guess there are over 150 but really haven't had time to count them. You have done an amazing job. You need to get some sleep and rest your back. I hope your class isn't an early one. Did you get any time to study?

It's too bad you can't go back on the LFS. That is the real shame here. They are selling plants with problems. But than again my dear, and I hate to say this because I think what you are doing is fantastic. But Rule #1 Never put any thing into a tank with out quarantining it first for at least a week. I know there was a hurry for the cover and hides and choices have to be made. We do the very best we can with the situation we are handed. You have done so much and your time will be rewarded. The fry will survive and make others happy that they did.
Ma Betta is offline  
post #57 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Ma Betta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: California
Posts: 184
5-9-19: SPAWN LOG #11
Today the fry are in their 5 gal holding tank treated with a little bit of Methylene Blue and salt. They went through a huge stressful ordeal yesterday and now just chilling. I fed them Baby Brine Shrimp today and they are so that was a good sign. I did, however, see more deceased. But I will confess I did drop the glass lid into the water which may have killed a few before. 😩😭I was pretty tired and it slipped. 😱

I set up the 20 gal Long (half filled) and have been cycling it in preparation for them to move into their final tank before jarring. They are very young and really tiny to be moved so much especially 100% water changes but it had to be done. I must say, these guys are very resilient like their dad Mas! He too has been through a lot back in the day when I first got him.😂
I will most likely transfer them tomorrow since the filter is from an established tank.

I've done some research and believe that the whitish particle were from the multiplting pond snails. I think theg were excreting something into the tank. Maybe they were sick. That is the only different between all my tanks. All my tanks and containers have parts and pieces of the Hornwort plant and none of them had this issue. Only this tank had the pond snails.the The more snails I took out, the more of them would appear. I ended up tossing everything except the heater. Filter, plants and moss balls. I even disinfected the tank by scrubbing it down with water containing a few drops of bleach along with the water siphon and buckets.

I did add plants and Marimo balls from another established tank and will take a few photos once they are moved in.

I needed to do water changes for everyone else but will wait until tomorrow. My back is really bugging me so I dont want to push it.
Ma Betta is offline  
post #58 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 02:50 AM
Member
 
Old Dog 59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Oil City PA. USA
Posts: 908
Aquarium
Loss can't be helped with the gang you have. I know you hate to see it but it's a way of a betta life . The strong survive. I hate pond snails. The are no use in any tank. All they do is poop and breed. They are like an infestation of fly's. Too bad there is nothing like Raid that will only kill pond snails. LOL
You need to take care of yourself now. I know the feeling you are going threw with everything happening at once. But you need to take care of your self too. I know mom's don't get days off. But when every thing settles down at night just slip into a hot tub to soak your back. ( a bottle of Jack and a hot tub now there's a cure, or at least you won't feel any pain for a while.)
Be safe and slow down a little the kids will be just fine.
Old Dog 59 is offline  
post #59 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Ma Betta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: California
Posts: 184
LOL, Very true... No time for a bath but I did take a Tylenol with Codeine I had left over from my shoulder surgery. Not exactly a bottle of Jack but it did do the trick for a while. Slowed me down some enough to relax for a bit.
I'll post some pics tomorrow of the Masito gang. Places like this really help motivate me to overcome obstacles and get it done! Thanks! 💜




Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Betta View Post
5-9-19: SPAWN LOG #11
Today the fry are in their 5 gal holding tank treated with a little bit of Methylene Blue and salt. They went through a huge stressful ordeal yesterday and now just chilling. I fed them Baby Brine Shrimp today and they are so that was a good sign. I did, however, see more deceased. But I will confess I did drop the glass lid into the water which may have killed a few before. 😩😭I was pretty tired and it slipped. 😱

I set up the 20 gal Long (half filled) and have been cycling it in preparation for them to move into their final tank before jarring. They are very young and really tiny to be moved so much especially 100% water changes but it had to be done. I must say, these guys are very resilient like their dad Mas! He too has been through a lot back in the day when I first got him.😂
I will most likely transfer them tomorrow since the filter is from an established tank.

I've done some research and believe that the whitish particle were from the multiplting pond snails. I think theg were excreting something into the tank. Maybe they were sick. That is the only different between all my tanks. All my tanks and containers have parts and pieces of the Hornwort plant and none of them had this issue. Only this tank had the pond snails.the The more snails I took out, the more of them would appear. I ended up tossing everything except the heater. Filter, plants and moss balls. I even disinfected the tank by scrubbing it down with water containing a few drops of bleach along with the water siphon and buckets.

I did add plants and Marimo balls from another established tank and will take a few photos once they are moved in.

I needed to do water changes for everyone else but will wait until tomorrow. My back is really bugging me so I dont want to push it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog 59 View Post
Loss can't be helped with the gang you have. I know you hate to see it but it's a way of a betta life . The strong survive. I hate pond snails. The are no use in any tank. All they do is poop and breed. They are like an infestation of fly's. Too bad there is nothing like Raid that will only kill pond snails. LOL
You need to take care of yourself now. I know the feeling you are going threw with everything happening at once. But you need to take care of your self too. I know mom's don't get days off. But when every thing settles down at night just slip into a hot tub to soak your back. ( a bottle of Jack and a hot tub now there's a cure, or at least you won't feel any pain for a while.) [IMG class=inlineimg]/images/Bettafish_2016/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.bettafish.com/images/smilies/youRock.gif[/IMG]
Be safe and slow down a little the kids will be just fine.[IMG class=inlineimg]/images/Bettafish_2016/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]
Ma Betta is offline  
post #60 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 03:11 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 25
I've been following your logs for while so exciting how big they are getting. Those darn pond snails! im so sorry to have seen this happened. I had literally just looked up some research about live plants and saw the quarantine or disinfect advice. to see you have to deal with that's heartbreaking. These babes are going to be even stronger for overcoming these obstacles! Your doing great work! O.D is right tho, get some rest an try not to worry. it's gonna get better!
tess.the.mess is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mustard gas or not? Neelie Betta Chat 5 08-13-2010 10:24 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome