Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care - View Single Post - Hello!
Thread: Hello!
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 02:25 AM
Rainbo
TFK Moderator

Oh good! I'm so glad that it's the conditioner you have. 14 drops per gal is what the directions on their website says so I'd have to use 42 drops for my 3 gal tank. That's crazy! I only use 2 drops per gallon of the Seachem Prime, I've had the same bottle of it for about a year now and that's with 4 tanks.

Given where your filter is and where he's hanging out, it might be the filter. First thing I'd do since it's a TopFin is checked to see if the flow is adjustable, I know the TopFins for larger tanks are, but I'm not sure about the smaller ones. If it is it'll have a little piece on top of the intake tubes that you can twist. If it's not then making a baffle is very easy. Since I'm a bit to tired to explain I'll let this guy on YouTube do it for me LOL, he demonstrates how to make a baffle out of a plastic water bottle.

The cloudy water could be from a number of things, but it should clear up relatively quickly. New gravel and new filter medium not being rinsed really well, and as the tank ages a bacterial bloom (harmless), can all cause it.

Since your tank is not cycled, and is only 3 gallons, I'd do 50% water changes every 3 days. Make sure to vacuum the gravel when you do the changes. You can use an airline hose as a vacuum, just shove it down into the gravel and keep moving it to a new spot. Once your tank is cycled you can switch to doing 25 to 50% (I usually do 50% on my 3 gal) once a week. Here's a link on how to do a fish in cycle https://www.bettafish.com/30-betta-f...-tutorial.html

I'd get him a couple more plants, it'll help him feel a bit more secure and the added bonus is that they actually hide less when they feel safe.

Here's a picture of the 3 gallon I have Lagniappe in, all the plants are artificial since I was not planning on getting him and don't have any spare live plants right now. He's already started coming out of hiding when he sees that I'm in the room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4813.jpg (77.1 KB, 2 views)