Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care - View Single Post - Achieving Ideal Water Chemistry For Both Plants And Betta
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
EmberShadows

Achieving Ideal Water Chemistry For Both Plants And Betta

Hello all.

Iíd like to rehouse my betta into my slightly larger tank and provide him with live plants. Iíve had issues with maintaining stable water chemistry (pH, kH and gH) in my current tank and Iíd like some advice on providing the ideal environment for both plants and betta.

I have two water sources available, Filtered Rain Water and Tap Water;

Filtered Rain Water:
pH: 6.8
kH: 0ppm
gH: 0ppm

Tap Water:
pH: 8
kH: 180ppm
gH: 30ppm

Iím a little sceptical about using the Tap Water; I donít know if there is any possible contaminants in it that a dechlorinater that detoxifies heavy metals canít remove. This source isnít entirely considered drinkable where I live.

Iíve been using the Rain Water in my tank, remineralising it and adding kH booster. Iíve struggled to keep anything stable though and I canít get a discernible amount in the water without drastically spiking the pH. So far Iíve just been adding a little pinch to my daily water change which seems to help keep the pH at about 6.8-7.2, otherwise it freely shifts towards acid. Iíve had the tank running for a few months now and I canít even get algae to grow. I donít think there is enough CO2 or kH for it to survive.

That pH of 8 in the Tap Water seems as solid as a rock, but not appropriate for a betta. Iíve aged the water as well as had it in a fishless tank for about two months, and regardless it always reads a straight 8.

Iíve been looking into pH buffers and stabilisers, but many of them suggest they arenít suitable for plants.

Ideally Iím trying to find a way to keep my pH at 6.8-7 and stable, while also having a good amount of kH for plants. Iím not sure if having a low pH and a higher kH is possible though, given how closely the two tend to be linked.

I need some advice and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.