Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care - View Single Post - Thank You For the Support
View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
RussellTheShihTzu
TFK Moderator

Thanks to everyone.

We are not looking for normal care pet insurance. But for catastrophic care. So far, Russell's expenses (factoring in four more chemo treatments) is $6,000+. The most expensive insurance for both Edward, 5 years, and Fiona, 9 months, (neither has pre-existing conditions), is $1,00 per year. Average is around $600.

One man we met has Nationwide. His Lab has operable cancer; they paid 100% after deductible was met. Then, after she finished chemo, Maggie's ACL deteriorated and she had surgery for that. Paid 100%. No limit.

Some insurance has a maximum $5,000 cap; some no limit. Healthy Paws has the best EXCEPT it doesn't cover veterinary examinations. Our initial consult was $120 and after that $60 per visit for eight chemo and one CT scan. So we are still searching. Gary works for the AKC and they have pet insurance but it is second most expensive (after the ASPCA). Need to find out if we get an employee discount and if that discount applies after retirement.

I am going to ask the people where Russell is being treated if they notice any company is better than another. There is just one that pays the clinic directly but I forget why I wasn't impressed. Probably expense or ratings.

My 60-Year Aquarium and 53-Year Betta Addictions
https://www.bettafish.com/144-journa...addiction.html

If your dog thinks you are the greatest do not seek a second opinion

Last edited by RussellTheShihTzu; 03-28-2019 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Most expensive insurance rate was too low.