Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care - View Single Post - Changing opinion on betta tankmate compatibility
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Amandaortner

I got some Corys for my last betta, who disappeared while I was taking a shower an hour after giving him a new tank, and about 3 weeks after giving him some cories. I have no proof of my assumption, but I believe he jumped out of a TINY space in between the tank & lid (that I’ve covered since then) and into my dog’s mouth. Otherwise he got abducted by aliens. I think the behavior was because of stress, as water quality was perfect, it was a nice cycled tank, lots more space, more decor, etc...
So then, after waiting a bit to make sure there was no illness in the tank, I got a new betta. And this morning I saw him chase and nip at one of my cories......
I’m starting to think the idea that bettas don’t care about catfish is wrong. But the general consensus is that they don’t mind anything that doesn’t look like them or like food. Am I wrong? Do I just have the luck of finding grumpy old men juvenile fish?

Bettas owned:

Swim Shady: doubletail male

Ella: veiltail female

Neo: crowntail male
Bruiser: crowntail male
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"When you see a fish you don't think of its scales, do you? You think of its speed, its floating, flashing body seen through the water... If I made fins and eyes and scales, I would arrest its movement, give a patter or shape of reality. I want just the flash of its spirit" ~ Constantin Brancusi