Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care - View Single Post - Where to buy?
Thread: Where to buy?
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:40 AM
Rana

Aquarium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloran View Post
I know it's not what you asked, but when I moved into this area, the first fish related thing I did was search out small fish stores (coincidentally looking for driftwook). I found this little store on the edge of Cleveland where the owner had some of the most beautiful little bettas. They were in the small cups, but their cups were clean. I brought Saffron home and he kicked a fuss the entire way.

He sells them very cheap (probably as a loss leader), but his prices on decor was always reasonable.

I know it's not doable for everyone, since when I was in DE, it was hard to find a shop that had the quality that this guy does, but it sold me on checking to see what's local and supporting them first.
I did something similar, bought my first betta from a local store that had them in super roomy, clean containers at reasonable prices. When I went back this winter I was saddened to see the bettas in tiny cups that could have used a cleaning, prices drastically raised, and overall not as generally lively as they have been in the past. So while I definitely recommend checking out local stores over chains especially for livestock, they can still fall into the trap of trying to make profit at the expense of the fish.

SIP