Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care - View Single Post - SBD and Double Tails
View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 08:58 PM
RussellTheShihTzu
TFK Moderator

It isn't just this breeder. I don't believe it is a "line" thing as all DT are all prone to SBD. Wish indjo would come on. He explained it to me; don't want to appear it's my knowledge.

DT is a recognized fin type by the IBC and is described as "Doubletail Bettas may have a deeper--top to bottom-- body than singletailed Bettas. The thicker body is acceptable, as long as it contributes to the support of the larger finnage of doubledtails." (Please note, I did not fix typos.)

And:

"DOUBLETAIL BETTAS
Doubletail Bettas are expected to differ in several ways from the singletail:
1. Possess two distinct “tails” or caudal lobes instead of one, with a complete separation to the base of the caudal peduncle.
2. Possess a wider caudal peduncle to support the double lobes.
3. Possess a larger dorsal fin, nearly the size of the anal fin.
4. Their bodies are usually more “chunky” and often a bit shorter.
5. Bends in the caudal peduncle are expressed to a varying degree in almost all doubletail bettas. These are more easily noticed when viewing the fish from above. Easily seen bends should be faulted; if the bend is not excessive when viewed from above, the fish should not be penalized."

I like DT and have had them. But, at least to me, they look more like Goldfish in body. And we know how prone to bloat those are.

Anyhow, TMI. Sorry.

My 60-Year Aquarium and 53-Year Betta Addictions
https://www.bettafish.com/144-journa...addiction.html

If your dog thinks you are the greatest do not seek a second opinion