Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care - View Single Post - A College Student and Her Beloved Bettas
View Single Post
post #39 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Caelth

Sorry Phish, I'm afraid I'm in the midwest instead.

ANYWAYS

Ya girl and her fishy fam has moved into our new apartment. Both bettas are doing well and the temperatures are a heck of a lot more stable this year since I'm not having to share a room.

Fawkes still loves to play and build his nest. Since moving onto my desk, his nest has moved from the far side of the tank to the corner by my laptop. It's almost as if he says, "MOM LOOK WHAT I CAN DO. DO U LIKE? I CAN MAKE IT BIGGER." And bigger he has made it. A note to any one with a desk buddy like myself, put stickers on your laptop. Fawkes and Salem love to flare/charge at different stickers while I work.

The mini community tank is flourishing once again. There's been a bloom of green algae but it's slowly disappearing with each water change. Tje swords have gotten huge since moving. Perhaps they like my college water better than the stuff back home. Unfortunately, I lost a cory and rasbora following the trip but the Three Bros (Corys) and Three Amigos (Rasboras) are still plump and active. Salem has been thieving food. I've taken to stealthily feeding the trios before I turn on the lamp so he doesn't wake up. I'm concerned since his stomach is quite rounded so he's on day two of a short fast. Thankfully, he released a large poo at some point in the night and is much less circular.

My new desk has two cubbies rather than one, making it PERFECT for yet ANOTHER 5+ gallon tank to slide right in. I've been considering getting another betta for a while. My complex does not allow pets (fish are ok, obvi) so they're the next best thing. Besides, they're a lot less maintenance than the cat I would have would be anyways. I do have two tanks at home -one to be divided into 2 10 gallons and a 2.5 for holiday. The 2.5 isn't ideal but at most I'd fit a 7 gallon on my desk next to Fawkes.

I've also been working on getting my friend to upgrade their travel container for a legitimate tank for their betta. While physically, he appears healthy, the poor baby glass surfaces or hides under the one suction leaf that's decorating his container. While I doubt I can convinence them to go over a 2 gallon, anything at this point would be better as long as a heater fits in it. The apartments get quite cold during the summer with the heat on, I can't imagine the winter.

Regardless, new tank/fish picks coming soon? I have some media I cycle on the side for a hospital tank. Which isn't exactly helpful when my brain says "No more fish" but my heart says "One more life saved from death by 5 year old."

What else does one expect from a student in pre-veterinary med?