Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care - View Single Post - Stocking ideas for a 75 gallon
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
peppersmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog 59 View Post
I have always had trouble with angle fish. The only time I didn't have trouble with them is when I kept a 29 Gal and had 3 males in the tank. There was no fighting or posturing because they were all males. I tried the same with all females but found there was a lot of aggression between them.

When I had my 75 Gallon up (this tank was an 8 year established tank that was shattered by a 4 year old and a wooden block.) I had chosen to keep African Cichlids. This was a wise choice for me because even though there was aggression (but only at breeding temps. and spawning ) The 75 gallon was quite the right size and was able to overstock a bit and still have the movement and color I desired. I had 2 MarineLand 350 canister filters and a HOB Tetra 70 to keep the water Chrystal clear and all water parameters in order. The PH level of 8.1 was kept constant by Aragonite substrate and Rocks that would raise the PH in the tank to what was needed.

With a 75 gallon you have many many choices of what to do as a community tank Do your homework on the fish you want to keep and make sure they get along and what aggression level you will accept in the community, Before you stock any thing.
I certainly will be doing more research before choosing the fish for my set up. I still have to cycle the tank and purchase all of the equipment needed. Lot's of room for fish but it is so hard to decide what I want to keep in the tank. (TOO MANY CHOICES, OI!!!)

My dad introduced me to fish when I was a child and we had a 125 gallon tank filled with African cichlids. They are so colorful for freshwater fish and I loved just staring at them as a child. They are definitely a contender for fish I would love to keep.

Ugh, my heart goes out to you for losing such a large set up. I am always spooked about my nephews and nieces coming over and messing with my tanks but they are pretty good about it. You never know when an accident will happen so hopefully all works out for me and my tank. I contemplated moving the tank set up upstairs to one of our spare bedrooms just because we do have company over quite often and the last thing I need is an overtly drunk friend breaking open 75 gallons of water and fish onto the dining room floor. I think I will stick with the dining room idea though because I really want to be able to see the tank during the day and we spend most of our time in our living room and luckily the dining room is connected and the tank is viewable right from our couch. (WHOOP!) My betta fish is set up upstairs in my bedroom and I love the tank so much but the location stinks because I really only get to see him right before I am going to bed, when I wake up, and when I am doing water changes.

I would love to have a tank full of Discus but after researching they sound a little too advanced for my current skill set. Looks like I have lot's of research ahead of me.

Thank you for the advise!