Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care - View Single Post - Chat Rant
Thread: Chat Rant
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
RussellTheShihTzu
TFK Moderator

@Rainbo : Yes, trade names drive me crazy, too. This is the same sort of misrepresentation that caused me to start this thread:It is yet another excuse to hike up prices.

Places like PetCo and PetSmart and private sellers have figured people will pay more for something "special" and use this knowledge to jack up prices for common patterns. A "Paradise" Betta is a normal bi-color with a blue or greenish body and yellow or orange fins (sometimes rimmed in a darker color)...same as what has become known as "Mustard Gas." A "Rose Petal" is a normal Rose Tail. I have a list I was working on but got sidetracked.

If some charge what I consider outrageous prices for average Betta that is their prerogative. If someone does or doesn't want to pay the price then that is their prerogative. I say buy what you like and can afford.

My gripe is *only* with those who charge these prices based on claims their Betta are show quality/competition grade when they are not. Or, those claim common colors or patterns are "rare" to charge a higher price.

As to showing purchased Betta?

Quoted verbatim as seen in the IBC Guidelines (typos and all):

"A betta OWNER [emphasis theirs] (sometimes referred to as 'collector') is a person who owns a fish but did not breed him or herself. These fish may be entered in a show but only in the purchased fish category (see Group C). (While breeders own their fish they are referred to as BREEDERS [emphasis theirs].) Purchased fish will now be shown in their own group, not to be mixed with breeders' fish. This includes any fish that an entrant did not breed themselves, whether literally bought from a store or online or another breeder, or a gift fish that somebody gave to them. Purchased fish must have been in the owners' possession at least one month before the show."

Group C:

"Owners of fish they did not breed or raise themselves may show these fish in the Purchased Fish group. This includes any fish that an entrant did not breed themselves, whether literally bought from a store or aquabid or another breeder, or a gift fish that somebody gave to them. Purchased fish must have been in the owners' possession for at least one month before the show.

While there are smaller class categories in the Purchased Fish group, bettas entered in will still be judged by the regular IBC Standards for each form and color type.

Exceptions:

Area 6 continues to show purchased fish as their regular shows. Area 6 has always had this exemption and continues to keep it.

Area 2 chooses to not allow purchased fish shown at any IBC show. All fish shown must be self-bred."

My 60-Year Aquarium and 53-Year Betta Addictions
https://www.bettafish.com/144-journa...addiction.html

If your dog thinks you are the greatest do not seek a second opinion
The Following User Says Thank You to RussellTheShihTzu For This Useful Post:
Rainbo (12-17-2019)