Betta Fish Forum banner

A betta roleplay!

38K views 721 replies 26 participants last post by  jona31 
#1 ·
So... I have been wanting to start a betta RP for a while now... :)

The basic storyline is that betta breeders are releasing their captive-bred bettas into the rice paddies of Thailand, because the fish market is no longer profitable. We are those bettas. We have no idea how to survive on our own, and must overcome the dangers of life in the wild. You can be any tail type, color or breed of betta that you want.

Please only have five characters maximum. Here is the form:

Name:
Age (human years):
Breed:
Color:
Personality:
Noteworthy:

Here are mine:

Name: Olive
Age (human years): 2
Breed: Splendens
Tail type: veiltail
Color: metallic purple with white edges on her fins.
Personality: Jumpy, easily startled, yet friendly.
Noteworthy: ex-breeder.

Name: Oliver
Age (human years): 3
Tail type: plakat
Color: Lemon yellow and metallic white-ish
Personality: Regal, showy, but sad inside that he was abandoned.
Noteworthy: was favored pet of a breeder whom he was very connected to, but was heartlessly abandoned like the rest.

Name: Manny
Age (human years): 1
Tail type: halfmoon
Color: light blue with white edges on fins
Personality: Shy but headstrong.
Noteworthy: Has crooked back and was born without a dorsal fin. His other fins are pretty deformed.

We will start roleplay after we get at least 5 entries.

Have fun!

Saphira

See less See more
#46 ·
Name: SilverBeam
Age (human years): 2
Breed: Splenden
Tail type: Half moon
Color: Silver, diamond blue tips
Personality: A protective princely character, kind, warm-heated, trusting.
Noteworthy: Wild betta from river in Thailand. Was captured by evil humans. Used to be prince of betta kingdom. Lives to keep other bettas protected.

#47 ·
Sorry I haven't RP'd in a while, guys! Been so busy with my fishies. :)

~~~Olive~~~
After facing off the other betta, I swam away and hid behind a clump of weeds again. I needed to come up with a strategy. A strategy for survival.

~~~Manny~~~
It had been an hour, and the female had given up. I was extremely low on oxygen, and I darted up to the surface and took a long, deep breath. I suddenly spotted a big silver halfmoon with diamond blue tips on his fins. I considered running for cover, but I was tired of cowering in fear of other bettas. What did I have to lose, anyway? decided to show him who was boss. I swam toward the betta, gills flared and fins extended, ready to fight.

~~~Oliver~~~
Jensen seemed preoccupied with his bubblenest, and I was hungry. "Hey, I'm gonna go find some food. I'll be back soon." I said. "Jensen nodded, and I swam off into the depths of the rice paddy. Suddenly, I come face-to-face with a white double tail halfmoon female. She appeared to be blind in one eye. I flared at her. She flared back.

#48 · (Edited)
I'm thrown in to the water from that tiny plastic prison they once had captured me in and held me there like a hostage. The quick current catches me throws me forward some more. I can't seem to catch my breath. I'm dying. I'm dying. I'm...

Alive. I'm alive I have awoken. It takes more than that to kill the former prince of the Waterflash Kingdom! What am I saying?! Former? I still am the prince of course, just because I'm captured by humans doesn't strip me of my title! I'm a prince. Now and forever.

I explore my surroundings it's quiet here not much to see unlike my glorious home. Small fish wander the river bed. The small and helpless, I do not know them, but I swear to protect them against any evil. I'm a prince. I'm a protector. I will protect them. I'm watching some of the fish talk quietly. I notice one of them is a betta. It's purple with white- tipped fins. He talks quietly with the other fish, he seems quiet, almost shy. He's not a threat to me. I overhear them talking about why we were thrown here. That there's no use for us because we're not money-makers anymore. We're just useless pretty fish.

I'm still listening to the conversation when something catches my eye. A large black and navy-tipped betta is swimming with a smaller betta. I flare, he looks evil merciless and I'm about to fight him.

I'm about to confront the betta when I see another betta swimming toward me. I turn to him. He's flaring and angry. I prepare myself for a fight. I'm used to this. It was my job at home. If he thinks he going to get me he's dead wrong. I've dealt plenty of enemies at the kingdom, and when I'm done with them, they're nothing but a couple of scales. If he's challenging me, it's not going to change. I'm a protector. I protect my kingdom, my legacy. No one will come between me and that, no one. And this fish isn't going to change that.

#49 ·
I'm about to confront the betta when I see another betta swimming toward me. I turn to him. He's flaring and angry. I prepare myself for a fight. I'm used to this. It was my job at home. If he thinks he going to get me he's dead wrong. I've dealt plenty of enemies at the kingdom, and when I'm done with them, they're nothing but a couple of scales. If he's challenging me, it's not going to change. I'm a protector. I protect my kingdom, my legacy. No one will come between me and that, no one. And this fish isn't going to change that.

#50 ·
It seemed like I could finally get some rest at that little cave thing Neptune mentioned then yet another curious betta caught my eye. He has a curious look as an almost completely silver fish with diamond blue tips that seem to catch the sun and sparkle a little. I try to ignore him, but he swims up right in front of me and begins to flare. " Oh come on! What does a guy have to do to get some rest around here?" I say, annoyed. I just want some sleep here! I am finished here. No more running away. He's obviously not going to let me do that anyway. I ram myself into the betta, using my whole body force to weaken him. I back away, satisfied, but he gets up and only seems fazed. Then he bites into my fins. Hard. He looks me in the eye with a strange gleam in his eye. This is getting weird. I have a bad feeling that this guy is tougher than those I have previously met in the arena.

#51 ·
Before I can fight the light blue halfmoon the black crowntail rams into me and backs up satisfied. I shake it off as quickly as possible. The betta is stronger than I imagined, but I'm just as determined as ever to beat him. He doesn't no what he's up against. I lunge forward and bite into his fins hard. I didn't bite as hard as I could have but I wanted to know if he was the enemy. I push forward and ram into him as hard as I can and he looks like he's going to double over for good. I slam him into the riverbed and shout to him, "Who are you? Some kind of enemy?! Tormenting these poor fish?! I'm warning you AND your little guppy, I'll get you both!" I didn't want to hurt the small helpless guppy, but if he was with the enemy, I wouldn't have a choice.

#52 ·
Prince: After the betta and guppy swam away I checked the damage to my fins. It was just a small nick, and was barely noticeable, but it did hurt a bit. I decided to let it go and not try and follow them, and find a place where I would not be likely to run into any other aggressive males, I just didn't want to fight.

Yuki: I looked curiously at the plakat flaring at me, and flared back at him. He hadn't come up from my left side like the copper male before, and I was not startled by him. But I wondered whether he would be too aggressive to talk to. After living in a sorority, being dumped out here without any familiar betta was a bit lonely. I stopped flaring at him and ventured to talk, and see how he would respond.
"Um. Hello, there." I said cautiously.

#53 · (Edited)
The other betta rams into me again and again and again. With each time I felt weaker and weaker, and everything seemed more distant. He slams me into the riverbed, and just as I think as I'm about to black out, I snap back to reality. The halfmoon babbles threats at me as I try to collect my thoughts. I obviously can't get out of his grip, he's much too strong and I'm feeling weak but I struggle anyway. there is NO WAY I am possibly going down without a fight.Who was this loony toon anyway? who did he think he was? A prince? He snarls at me, and I catch another look of that proud, defiant, look in his eyes, even when he says"Who are you? Some kind of enemy?! Tormenting these poor fish?! I'm warning you AND your little guppy, I'll get you both!" he gives me a disgusted look and I glare at him with my eyes full of hatred. The message registers in my head. Get you both? Little guppy? Oh, great he must mean Neptune. " Leave us alone, we are not the "enemy"! We haven't been tormenting fish..." Of course thats not exactly true but this oddball doesn't need to know that! Suddenly, I hear Neptune speak up.

#70 · (Edited)
STTOOOPPPP!!!!!!! please we're in the same boat as you there's no point in fighting me and my friend Basta are heading to a cave where I have been since I was a fry would you like to come along we would like to assemble a team of bettas to try and adventure farther than this little rice paddy would you like to come if you do follow me if you ont just leave peacefully or I'll unleash my secret power and dont you dare underestimate MMMMEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OR ILL KILL YOU!!!!!. I quickly turn around and find Basta on the ground I scoop him up on a leaf and get ready to dart "WOW Basta is surprisingly light and i'm ten times his size" suddenly the attacker responds

#54 ·
~~~Oliver~~~
The female quit flaring at me, then spoke. "Um... hello there"
I stopped flaring as well. No more fighting for me, not after the little purple female had taken that chunk out of my caudal. It was just too risky. "Hi..." I said cautiously. "My name is Oliver. What's yours?"

~~~Manny~~~
Before I even have a chance to fight the halfmoon, this jet-black crowntail with navy blue tips on his fins rams into him, and I am forgotten. I watch as the halfmoon beats the pulp out of the crowntail, and I am suddenly seized by the urge to save this other male. If I didn't act soon, he wouldn't have any more chance for survival. Just before a guppy fry was to speak, I rammed into the halfmoon. I bit a chunk out of his dorsal, giving the crowntail time to escape. The halfmoon's attention was now focused directly at me...

~~~Olive~~~
I sat under the weeds for hours, but nothing came to me. I decided that it was no use, and I'd just have to take whatever life threw at me, without a survival plan. I swam out from my refuge under the weed, and began to search for food, right out in the open.

#55 ·
Yuki:
I was relieved when the other male stopped flaring, and calmed down a bit.
"My name is Yuki. It's nice to meet you, Oliver. Were you dumped here by humans, too?"

Prince:
As I was swimming through densely packed plants and weeds, trying to a avoid another surprise encounter with another male, I spotted a purple and white female swimming out in the open. Forgetting my earlier hesitation about being in a place where I could meet an agressive male, I flared up and began a dance along the edge of the weeds I had been hiding in, trying to catch her attention.

#56 ·
~~~Basta~~~
Just as I'm about to prepare myself for another blow from the betta, a blue betta with a crooked back charges at him. Huh. I was seeing all kind of curious fish today. I seize this chance to escape, and drag myself as far away from the silver halfmoon as I could, with neptune leading the way. I collapse in a heap, then glance at him. I knew I shouldn't have got all mixed up in this "friend" business! " Whoa... why are there... 6 of you...? " I mutter. Then everything goes black.

#57 ·
I hope nobody minds if I add one more...

Name: Oscar
Tail type: veiltail
Color: red with purple streaks
Personality: caring, trusting, naive
Noteworthy: Was rescued from Petco and was very pampered

#58 · (Edited)
~~~Oscar~~~
After dumping me in the river, my human just... walked away."Wait! Don't go! " I called. But she kept going... and she didn't even look back. Tears fill my eyes as i watch the human I had known for as long as I could remember walk away. Its clear she's not coming back. I look around. This is nothing like my home. Where is the colorful gravel? Or my favorite place to play, the beautiful bridge i could swim around and play hide and seek with my owner? I see there are other bettas here. Terrified, I hide behind a leaf. i am terrible at camoflauge. My red drastically clashes against the lush green landscape here. i suddenly feel so... small. After all, this place is so big and scary, and I'm sure there are fish here that would like nothing better than to do something terribly awful to me. Maybe not, I tell myself. Maybe someone will be my friend, maybe everyone here is nice, maybe everyone else is scared too. I want my human more than ever right now.

#59 ·
~~~Oliver~~~
"Yes," I replied to the female. "I was." I looked at the ground sadly. "Since coming here, my ways have changed. I don't feel as aggressive, and I don't really want to fight any more. It's just not the splenden way... have you felt the same way?"

~~~Olive~~~
I had just swallowed a rather large mosquito larva when I spotted a big copper crowntail. He was dancing, obviously trying to catch my attention. I sighed. I really didn't feel like going near another fish right now, but I reluctantly swam over to him.

#61 ·
Yuki:
"Yes, I feel the same. Though, I was never too aggressive in the sorority I lived in. But after being dumped out here by humans it doesn't feel right to fight each other."

Prince:
I was happy when the purple female decided to swim over to me, even though she did not look as pleased to see me as I was to see her. I put that thought behind me as I quit swimming around, making sure to keep my fins up and appealing. But as she neared me I was suddenly unsure of what to say, I tried to hide that lack of confidence and flared up a bit more. I opted to start a conversion by introducing myself. "Hello, miss, my name is Prince."

#62 ·
~~~Oliver~~~
"Yeah..." I suddenly remembered Jensen, and how I had left him back at that clump of weeds. "I'm sorry, I need to leave. Would you like to meet back here tomorrow?"

~~~Olive~~~
I found this fish's politeness amusing. The way he called me 'miss' was rather cute. I allowed my expression to soften. "Nice to meet you." I said. "My name is Olive."

#63 ·
Yuki:
"Okay." I wasn't too keen on being alone again, but that Oliver wanted to meet again reassured me that I would at least have a friend in this unfamiliar place. I was also getting a bit hungry, and thought it would not hurt to go look for some type of food. "So, I'll see you tomorrow then. Bye, Oliver."

Prince:
"It is nice to meet you, too, Olive." I was encouraged that she seemed a bit more friendly. "Have you lived around here long? I was actually just dumped into here recently, but so far it seems like a much better improvement than being in confinement by humans."

#64 · (Edited)
~~~Oscar~~~
I shudder in my hiding spot. I know I can't stay under this leaf forever. My stomach growls and I wonder if I could get any food. I cautiously looked around, then snatched up some weird bug. Blech. I ate quickly, trying to ignore the sickening crunch and the grainy texture of my meal. I did feel better after eating, but then I overheard 2 other bettas talking and absolutely lost it.They looked so... scary. I was too young too die! " WAAAAAAAAAAAA! DON'T EAT ME!!!!!!!!" I screamed swimming as fast as I could away from them, until I bump into... a monster! My eyes widen in terror, until I notice it's not moving. " Oh."I say relieved. " It's just a rock." I sighed, embarassed, then looked around to see if anyone was there, even though I was pretty sure nobody was there...

#65 ·
~~~Oliver~~~
I was sad to leave, but I knew that I must be there for Jensen. I arrived back at our clump of weeds, where Jensen was still building his bubblenest. It was getting rather large. "Sorry I was gone so long, Jensen."

~~~Olive~~~
"No, I haven't been here long. It's only been a day since I was dumped here, but it seems much longer. The water seems cleaner, although it is a brownish color. I don't have to depend on that wretched breeder to do my water changes, and food is always around."

~~~Manny~~~
Just before the big halfmoon tore me to shreds, a huge dark shape flew over the water, and both of us knew inside that it was a bird, and that its mind was set on eating fish. We both darted in opposite directions, I behind a clump of weeds and he behind a rock. The bird swooped over the paddy without noticing us. I sighed in relief, and turned around. I found myself looking right into the eyes of a terrified red and purple veiltail. I no longer had any desire to fight, but he didn't seem to know that. He cowered against the clump of weeds, but I wanted to show him that I meant no harm. "Hello, my name is Manny."

#86 ·
Prince:
"Yes, and you can swim for as long as you want without running into a glass wall." I was realized that I really enjoyed being out free, despite my earlier run in with that other betta and guppy.

Yuki:
I had eaten my fill of what food I could find as a betta swam past me quickly followed by a guppy. I watched them go, a bit confused. Was that guppy just chasing that betta?, I wondered. Thinking that maybe they were running from something, I cautiously swam they way they had came, and saw a sliver crowntail looking depressed. I started to call out to him but stopped, thinking it may not be a good idea if the betta and guppy I had seen earlier were in fact running from this guy.

#66 ·
~~~Oscar~~~
Suddenly, I hear a voice say, "Hello, my name is Manny." I jump, startled." Hi, I'm- wait a minute! You want to EAT ME!!!!" I shriek. Oh no no no NO! i don't wanna die!
" I-I-I... I taste h..h..horrible! Please don't eat me!" I squeeze my eyes shut, not wanting to witness him have me as a snack. I open one eye nervously and he looks back at me. Now that I think of it, he seems friendly and I really want some company... He's not my human, but he seems nice and doesn't seem like he wants to eat me. Maybe he's vegetarian? " Hi, I'm Oscar. Did your human abandon you too?" I sigh. Even this place is a painful reminder of how I will never have my past life back with my beloved human.

#67 ·
Yuki:
I watched Oliver swim away, and then set out to find some food. I swam around testing different things that looked edible, though most of them did not taste that way, and I ended up spitting out most of what I found.

Prince:
"Yes, and you can swim for as long as you want without running into a glass wall." I was realized that I really enjoyed being out free, despite my earlier run in with that other betta and guppy.

#68 ·
I'm watching the two bettas from behind the rock. The one I was just fighting is talking to a red and purple pipsqueak. My fin hurts really bad but I've dealt with worse injuries at the kingdom. It's funny, really, these petty fish don't know the wild life of the kingdom. I bet they've never seen such a glorious place, I don't care if they lived in their human's mansion, there's nothing as beautiful as my home. I shake the pain of my fin as best as I can and make my way out from behind the rock. "Hey blue-face, pipsqueak!" I shout toward them, they turn toward me and the pipsqueak cowards in terror in aww at me, while blue-face glares at me, although he doesn't flare. "I understand you're not the enemy after all, considering you haven't eaten pipsqueak yet. I'm here to ask your assistance to the Waterflash Kingdom, which I'll teach you about. You up for it blue-face? Pipsqueak?"

#75 ·
~~~Oliver~~~
I glare at the other halfmoon. "My name isn't Blue-face." I say. "And his isn't Pipsqueak." I gesture to the other fish. "I don't want to take part in anything that involves you, so leave me be!" And I swam off, wondering if I had made the right choice.

#69 ·
~~~Oscar~~~

Suddenly a silver crowntail shouts at us.Did he just call me pipsqueak? What in the world is he talking about? Water something kingdom? Blueface and pipsqueak? I don't know what he is talking about... All I notice is how big he is... and how scary he is... I gawk at him. "I'm here to ask your assistance to the Waterflash Kingdom, which I'll teach you about. You up for it blue-face? Pipsqueak, " He says. I just noticed his teeth too... they look pretty sharp. I huddle behind Manny, hoping I'm too small to see behind him. Too late though, he sees me for sure and looks at quizzically. All I manage is " Uh... sure?"

#71 · (Edited)
~celestial~
uggh that last fish was so rude. I see a group of three unusual fish as I start to swim away I see a similar face Silver Beam is that you I remember silver beam from the pet shop we lived in called Waterflash kingdom or as he would like to call it his kingdom huh he was a funny fish we all lived in large tanks stacked one on top of the other and silver beam was on the very top with me under him he always assumed he was the king of the castle because he was on top I always remembered him calling me peasant like i was his servant uggh so annoying. I swim over to the three unsure fish hi silver beam do you remember me celestial we were bunk mates your tank was above mine you always called me peasant and i would throw snarky comments towards you that offended I covered my mouth oop's sorry I diddnt mean it like that the treee fish just stared at me i floated there akwardly waiting for a reply so can I join your little group? I compare my size with his wow he must of shrunk because im twice his size thats a shocker.

#72 · (Edited)
I think I'll join too!

Name: Solstice
Tail type: crowntail
Color: Yellow with silver tipped fins, except for anal fin.
Personality: Unusally kind and shy at first.
Noteworthy: was born with no color on the anal fin since fin growth for unknown reasons.

(PS. I'll post later cause I gtg now)

#74 ·
Yay! The more the merrier! I saw your story but I didn't have time to post, by the way. It was really good! :)

#73 · (Edited)
~~~Basta's Dream~~~
I'm in a very large container. I look around and see human eyes gawking at me and arguing with each other. " The young one will surely die!" No no... it has champion bloodlines!" It's father IS those champion bloodlines!" One of the humans dump a huge king betta in the tank with a lot of scars. I recognize him... I know this fish. " Your still young..." he says.I see something in his eyes.Is it pity? Sympathy? " We don't need to fight like the humans want us too.." I say quietly. He looks at me. "No, you don't understand. He then lunges at me and I move aside and he rams into the glass. He glares at me and I tremble. Another betta is put in and starts to bite him and tear at his fins and bite him... over and over. It's a horrible sight, and the betta screams over and over and over. " NO!!!!! STOP!!!!" I scream as I realize who he is. " STOP IT!!!!" I wake up with a jolt, my father's screams still echoing in my head. That was strange... i haven't had that dream since I was young. I look around. i am still in the cave thing. Neptune isn't around. I wonder where he went. I wince feeling a pain all over my body. Oh... I remember now. I think bitterly of the phyco betta. That blue, deformed betta... he saved me. No, I think. I could have handled it... maybe.

~~~Oscar~~~
Another fish swims up to use and talks to this waterflash guy like he knows him. I wonder if he does? " Wow," I say. "We almost have a party here," I chirp. I see the other bettas stare at me and I shrink back behind Manny.

#77 · (Edited)
~~~Basta's Dream~~~
I'm in a very large container. I look around and see human eyes gawking at me and arguing with each other. " The young one will surely die!" No no... it has champion bloodlines!" It's father IS those champion bloodlines!" One of the humans dump a huge king betta in the tank with a lot of scars. I recognize him... I know this fish. " Your still young..." he says.I see something in his eyes.Is it pity? Sympathy? " We don't need to fight like the humans want us too.." I say quietly. He looks at me. "No, you don't understand. He then lunges at me and I move aside and he rams into the glass. He glares at me and I tremble. Another betta is put in and starts to bite him and tear at his fins and bite him... over and over. It's a horrible sight, and the betta screams over and over and over. " NO!!!!! STOP!!!!" I scream as I realize who he is. " STOP IT!!!!" I wake up with a jolt, my father's screams still echoing in my head. That was strange... i haven't had that dream since I was young. I look around. i am still in the cave thing. Neptune isn't around. I wonder where he went. I wince feeling a pain all over my body. Oh... I remember now. I think bitterly of the phyco betta. That blue, deformed betta... he saved me. No, I think. I could have handled it... maybe.
*breathing heavily* oh you're awake are you ok hurt anything like that I healed you with my powers oops I mean some plants I found across from the cave huh huh huh looks away *thinking in my head* oh shoot I almost revealed my powers got to be more smart get it together neptune I wonder if he knows of waterflash kingdom?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.