Betta Fish Forum banner

changing fish color?

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  roubidoux 
#1 ·
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question, but here goes.

I've been admiring the fish on Aquabid and know the fish are pretty young. I'm wondering how much the color on these fish will change as they get older. For example, I have read that marble fish may constantly change color. What about butterfly bettas? Will the trim stay white? If a fish is all one color, but has a different colored spot on it, will that spot grow? Of if a fish is all white, but has a barely discernible colored wash on some of its fins, will it stay that way or will the color spread and get more intense?

Just wondering.
Thanks!

#2 ·
Should be in Betta Chat since this sub is more about how to breed but I suppose this is still part of genetics of course ;-) You can ask RussellTheShihTzu to move it if you like!

But Marbling is a big subject, I talk about it a lot on our AquaBid Thread over in Betta Photos. Basically, read through this first: http://www.ibcbettas.org/2012/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/IBC TA Articles/CS-15.pdf

Butterflies are part of the Marble gene so yes, most of them do change, specifically the ones with the white or cellophane band. Ones that have black or blue bands usually are stable in their coloration. Any fish can marble if it has the genes and sometimes you'll never know if it has the genes because it could be a solid blue fish that suddenly turns into a red fish over night practically! It's all a gamble in the long run!

Some Marble types tend to be a little more stable such as a Yellow Koi. With the way the color layers work, this fish tends to be more stable and keep it's colors longer. Again, this is general, you could get a fish that completely goes black or white. On the flip side, a Red Koi is bound to change and the red will take over the black but keep white dragon scales if it has them. Blue is most dominant and will just take over the fish, steer clear from Blue Butterflies if you don't want an all blue fish lol.

Colors are layered as follows from top to bottom:

Blue
Red
Black
Yellow

Here's a really great thread post about the Genetics of color if you're interested: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=97189

As for a Betta with a spot of color, it depends on what that spot is. If that spot is blue, chances are that the blue will spread. If it's yellow, it may stay or may get taken over by the other colors on the fish. If it's Red, it will likely take over, may possibly be stable as in the Red Dalmatian coloration. It really depends. If you were to show me pictures, I could give you a good guestimate on how the fish would change or not.

#4 ·
Absolutely! I'm always glad to help! Indjo, one of our mods is usually around and usually won't mind answering genetics questions if you have them ^ ^ he has a better grasp than I do. I'm good at the color ID part and giving that good guestimates on if the fish will marble or not but he knows the nitty-gritty ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.