Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care - View Single Post - EI Dosing Brown Water!?!
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
liz26914

EI Dosing Brown Water!?!

I have brown water and I do not know why.

The first thing people should know is that I don't have any fish or snails in my tank. So my water is not brown because I don't do enough water changes. 100% new clean water on Monday. Its just plants and two stones. I don't think its the stones because I have had it in the tank for several months and this has never happened. I just started EI dosing. Could this be a bacteria bloom?

I set this tank up on monday night. I had it set up before but I was having algae issues so I took it apart and dipped the plants in a weak bleach solution. I got more plants and started EI dosing.
  • Monday night the water was mostly clear (slightly cloudy from the flourite black sand substrate, which I washed before putting it in the tank a few months ago when I initially set up the tank).
  • Next morning, I noticed that the water was a little more cloudy but I thought it was from the substrate and it would go away.
  • That night I noticed it was more cloudy.
  • This morning it very cloudy. To the point that the plants in the back were blurry to see.
  • And when I got back from work tonight, the water was a reddish brown. It looks like I put in indian almond leaves in but I haven't. I am adding a picture but it is more brown than it is showing in the pic

More info about tank:
Flora: rotala mini butterfly, Alternanthera Reineckii 'Mini', Staurogyne Repens, Gratiola Viscidula, java fern, some kind of sword from petco, anubias, banana plants, onion plants, riccia
Fauna: none
Temperature: 78 farenheit
Filtration: currently none. I bought a used zoomed nano 10 canister on ebay and found out on Monday night that the impeller was broken so I am waiting for the part to be shipped to me (it would have been cheaper to buy it new ) Thought it would be ok because I don't have any fish in the tank
CO2: dosing excel and waiting for the champagne yeast I ordered on ebay to do diy co2

Fertilizing Schedule 3.4 gal tank
Day 1: 1/16 tsp KNO3, 1/16tsp KH2PO4, 1/16tsp K2SO4
Day 2: 1/16 tsp CSM+B trace
Day 3: 1/16 tsp KNO3, 1/16tsp KH2PO4, 1/16tsp K2SO4
Day 4: haven't gotten to day 4 yet

Is this something I should ask on http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0619.jpg (52.2 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by liz26914; 04-07-2016 at 12:20 AM.