Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care

Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care (https://www.bettafish.com/forum.php)
-   Other Fish (https://www.bettafish.com/142-other-fish/)
-   -   Gourami Questions and Research (https://www.bettafish.com/142-other-fish/254753-gourami-questions-research.html)

Allirane 08-25-2013 12:46 PM

Gourami Questions and Research

I am REALLY interested and looking into Gouramis AND have a 10 gallon. It has been cycled for about a month now and I won't expect to put fish in there for another week or so.

I am doing research and am in love with this forum. So: my question is:

My 10 gallon is okay. What kind of gouramis should I get? (I LOVE the colors of the turqouise dwarf gouramis) Should I get a pair or three? What other fish can I put in there (like actual fish names so I can googlepictures :P)

Also, what plants should I try to find for them? I am excited to start my first planted tank. My roomate has one and she can help. I wouldn't mind suggestions from y'all though!

LASTLY, this was the site from this forum that I looked at and got the confirmation. I also was told that it would be okay from a VERY respected fish store (that is not just trying to sell me stuff).

https://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=75195

jaysee 08-25-2013 12:58 PM

A 10 gallon is the absolute minimum for a single dwarf gourami. If you want to keep more than one, then you should look at smallest species - sparkling, licorice and honey.

I would look at getting a group of ember tetras - right size for a 10 gallon - to go with some sparkling gouramis.

Allirane 08-25-2013 01:17 PM

See this is the debate I am having. Some people say that ^ and other say a pair with a snail would be just fine.

SeaKnight 08-25-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 2879745)
A 10 gallon is the absolute minimum for a single dwarf gourami. If you want to keep more than one, then you should look at smallest species - sparkling, licorice and honey.

I would look at getting a group of ember tetras - right size for a 10 gallon - to go with some sparkling gouramis.

^^ I agree: The licorice looks like a Betta to me ;-) (yes I do know the 2 are related).

Allirane 08-25-2013 03:01 PM

I might look at getting one dwarf and then putting some other non aggressive fish. Hmmmm... Oh the options. What do you guys think?

finnfinnfriend 08-25-2013 03:50 PM

You can put a three spot gourami in a 10 gallon - if it is the only living thing in the tank (besides plants). The are supposed to potentially reach 6" but they really typically only reach 3-4.5"

jaysee 08-25-2013 04:45 PM

If you can find a female, give it a go and tell us all how it goes. Females are quite rare so there aren't many accounts. One that I followed had them in a 40 gallon and the male killed all the females.

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend (Post 2880609)
You can put a three spot gourami in a 10 gallon - if it is the only living thing in the tank (besides plants). The are supposed to potentially reach 6" but they really typically only reach 3-4.5"

You could keep one in a 5 gallon if you wanted to....but that doesn't mean you should. A 10 is WAY too small for a 3 spot. It takes time for them to reach full size. Too often what happens is the fish in improperly kept resulting in stunted or dead fish. OR, people get rid of them before they reach full size because they get aggressive.

Tiny tanks should be stocked with tiny fish, not large aggressive fish.....

LittleBettaFish 08-25-2013 05:01 PM

Are three-spot gourami also what are sold as gold gourami? I had a pair of these for a while and they were absolutely massive. I would definitely not put them into a 10 gallon tank.

Licorice gourami do best in very soft and acidic water, and can be extremely shy fish. I rarely saw my three even in a tank where they were the only fish and there was lots of cover.

Sparkling gourami are definitely a lot bolder and my three would take food from my tweezers and the dominant male grew to a decent size.

There are also honey gourami and croaking gourami. Although I have never kept these species before and not completely certain about their suitability long-term in a 10 gallon tank.

finnfinnfriend 08-25-2013 08:02 PM

What do you consider "massive"? Have you ever seen a Marlin lol....

jaysee 08-25-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend (Post 2881913)
What do you consider "massive"?

It's all relative to that which you are comparing.