Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care

Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care (https://www.bettafish.com/forum.php)
-   Betta Fish Compatibility (https://www.bettafish.com/102-betta-fish-compatibility/)
-   -   Mystery Snail in a 5 gallon? (https://www.bettafish.com/102-betta-fish-compatibility/615794-mystery-snail-5-gallon.html)

BettaStarter24 10-14-2015 11:06 PM

Mystery Snail in a 5 gallon?

Is this ok? I just got a black mystery snail, I've named Toothless, for Angel's cycled 5 gallon. Talking to the manager at the petco I got him from he said 5 gallons should be just fine for the one snail and the betta.

He's already zooming around the tank and hiding in the plants. Much better than the Tiger Nerites I tried a while back that only lived 3 days. They didn't move this much and were dropped onto their shells in the store while the employee was grabbing them to bag them.

queenamira 10-14-2015 11:22 PM

That should be fine! Just know that you might have to be cleaning up a lot more poop now :)

BettaStarter24 10-14-2015 11:44 PM

Yeah we have a gravel vac.

queenamira 10-15-2015 12:18 AM

Then you're good to go! In a 5 gallon, one betta and one snail should really be the most you ever have. Adding live plants (if you don't have any already) is going to help with the water quality even more for that much bioload, especially because a snail's waste can be hard to see so usually you won't know to remove it until there's a heap of it everywhere – unless you use the vac for each water change.

BettaStarter24 10-15-2015 12:48 AM

I use the vac each change and I do have one live plant (anubias) in the tank I manage to kill moss balls though so live plants are kinda a wary thing with me. So far toothless is active.

queenamira 10-15-2015 01:26 AM

That's great that he's active!

I've never had a moss ball so I have no idea if there is a certain way to take care of them, if any. What I do know is that there are really easy plants that don't need much extra care but the level of lighting they need. One of the best (in my opinion) is the anacharis plant. You can just let them float around or tether them to a rock and they're pretty much good to go. They grow baby anacharis that you can pick off and place somewhere else in the tank before it grows and grows. And apparently they are champs at eating up any ammonia in your water :)

PewPewPew has an amazing thread on plants in the Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories forum. You should def check that one out!!

aselvarial 10-15-2015 03:31 AM

Guppy grass is a pretty good plant for sucking up nutrients. It can float or be planted, and is like kudzu for water. It cannot be killed. :-)

VivianKJean 10-15-2015 10:30 AM

Personally I would go with a nerite over a mystery snails. Mystery Snails really should not be kept it tanks under 10 gallons because they get to the size of golfballs.

sailbond 10-15-2015 12:27 PM

I have a golden mystery snail and a betta in a cycled 5.5 gallon that is heavily planted with silk plants. They are doing quite well and have lived together for about 3 months now.

Snails make a mess but as long as you are consistent with weekly water changes everything should be fine.

My betta just ignores the snail now, for the first few days my betta would nip at the tentacles but he quickly stopped. The snail is huge now and is very active with it's tentacles everywhere and the fish doesn't care at all.

BettaStarter24 10-15-2015 01:24 PM

Angel hasn't bothered Toothless yet. Not that I've seen anyway. Little snail friend has been zooming up and down the plants, in and out of the cave and all over the gravel already. This morning he was tucked into his shell trapdoor shut. But I figured he was sleeping.