Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care

Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care (https://www.bettafish.com/forum.php)
-   Planted Betta Tanks (https://www.bettafish.com/147-planted-betta-tanks/)
-   -   EI Dosing Brown Water!?! (https://www.bettafish.com/147-planted-betta-tanks/678953-ei-dosing-brown-water.html)

liz26914 04-07-2016 12:12 AM

EI Dosing Brown Water!?!

1 Attachment(s)
I have brown water and I do not know why.

The first thing people should know is that I don't have any fish or snails in my tank. So my water is not brown because I don't do enough water changes. 100% new clean water on Monday. Its just plants and two stones. I don't think its the stones because I have had it in the tank for several months and this has never happened. I just started EI dosing. Could this be a bacteria bloom?

I set this tank up on monday night. I had it set up before but I was having algae issues so I took it apart and dipped the plants in a weak bleach solution. I got more plants and started EI dosing.
  • Monday night the water was mostly clear (slightly cloudy from the flourite black sand substrate, which I washed before putting it in the tank a few months ago when I initially set up the tank).
  • Next morning, I noticed that the water was a little more cloudy but I thought it was from the substrate and it would go away.
  • That night I noticed it was more cloudy.
  • This morning it very cloudy. To the point that the plants in the back were blurry to see.
  • And when I got back from work tonight, the water was a reddish brown. It looks like I put in indian almond leaves in but I haven't. I am adding a picture but it is more brown than it is showing in the pic

More info about tank:
Flora: rotala mini butterfly, Alternanthera Reineckii 'Mini', Staurogyne Repens, Gratiola Viscidula, java fern, some kind of sword from petco, anubias, banana plants, onion plants, riccia
Fauna: none
Temperature: 78 farenheit
Filtration: currently none. I bought a used zoomed nano 10 canister on ebay and found out on Monday night that the impeller was broken so I am waiting for the part to be shipped to me (it would have been cheaper to buy it new :evil:) Thought it would be ok because I don't have any fish in the tank
CO2: dosing excel and waiting for the champagne yeast I ordered on ebay to do diy co2

Fertilizing Schedule 3.4 gal tank
Day 1: 1/16 tsp KNO3, 1/16tsp KH2PO4, 1/16tsp K2SO4
Day 2: 1/16 tsp CSM+B trace
Day 3: 1/16 tsp KNO3, 1/16tsp KH2PO4, 1/16tsp K2SO4
Day 4: haven't gotten to day 4 yet

Is this something I should ask on http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ ?

liz26914 04-07-2016 12:19 AM

forgot to add that I buried 10 osmocote root tabs in the substrate

kittenfish 04-07-2016 04:11 AM

What size tank is it? That seems like a really high dose of ferts, especially since you don't seem to have very many plants. CSM+B is brown in a concentrated solution, and too much dissolved ferts could create cloudy water.

liz26914 04-07-2016 08:55 AM

its 3.4 gallons. i got the dosage from an online ei dosing calculator. it turned brown more than 12 hours after i dosed it with csm+b. there are more plants that you cant see. the Staurogyne Repens, Gratiola Viscidula and onion plants are behind the rock.

liz26914 04-07-2016 09:00 AM

its a little less brown this morning. giving a dose of csm+b b4 the lights turn on. if it turns more brown today, its prob the csm+b

BettaNard 04-07-2016 09:53 AM

I'm thinking maybe it's the root tabs? I think 10 might be overkill for a 3.4 Gal, can anyone confirm this?

Or maybe the root tabs aren't buried deep enough?

Canis 04-07-2016 10:25 AM

I had this problem when I didn't bury my root tabs far down enough. Did you push them all the way to the bottom of the substrate?

Also, I think you might be dosing too much for not having very many plants in the tank. The root tabs are probably unnecessary if you don't have a lot of heavy root feeding plants.

liz26914 04-07-2016 11:28 AM

It might be the root tabs. I buried them all the way at the bottom. I googled root tabs and brown water and a lot of stuff came up. I couldn't find anything about osmocote root tabs but a lot of people experienced brown water with api root tabs and it went away quickly within a couple days. a couple people also said that the brown water was not a big deal. I'll test my water and see what comes up tonight.

liz26914 04-07-2016 11:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
more than one person have said that I don't have a lot of plants and I might be dosing too much. I've been thinking that I have a decent amount of plants. I'm attaching a pic labeling all the plants. Is that not a lot of plants? and what would you recommend the dosage to be?

BettaBeau 04-07-2016 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You have a certain quantity of plants, but they are all kinda small, and there is a lot of empty space in the tank. "A lot of plants" means you can't see through the plants.

Here's a pic of my 3.4 gallon tank. I still don't consider this enough plants, lol!