Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care

Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care (https://www.bettafish.com/forum.php)
-   Planted Betta Tanks (https://www.bettafish.com/147-planted-betta-tanks/)
-   -   EI Dosing Brown Water!?! (https://www.bettafish.com/147-planted-betta-tanks/678953-ei-dosing-brown-water.html)

liz26914 04-07-2016 12:26 PM

ahhh. ok

Should I change the EI dosage?

alecmerkel 04-07-2016 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BettaBeau (Post 7278729)
You have a certain quantity of plants, but they are all kinda small, and there is a lot of empty space in the tank. "A lot of plants" means you can't see through the plants.

Here's a pic of my 3.4 gallon tank. I still don't consider this enough plants, lol!

Gorgeous tank!! What light is that? I really want to get a new light on my 5 and 20 but haven't decided. You tank seems to be a good example though.

Back to the main topic. I had driftwood in my tanks and it would cause my water to get brown after about 3 days. Though not as bad as yours. I would check any hardscapes you have to see if they are releasing any tint into the tank. Could also be your substrate.

I also think you may be over dosing. I don't even get root tabs. I just use Flourish, Iron, and Co2 (when I had one that didn't break) I have a 5 gallon with just as many plants. I use seachem substrate which i think has its own goodies in it as well.

BettaBeau 04-07-2016 01:59 PM

Liz, I can't advise about the ferts, but it seems like you should lower the dosages. Hopefully someone can speak to that. I only use Flourish Comprehensive, but my plants are low to mid light plants.

Alec, my light is the wonderful Finnex Stingray. I love this light, and my plants are doing very well with it. Although I bought mine on Amazon, they might be cheaper on the Aqua Vibrant website.

alecmerkel 04-07-2016 05:24 PM

You should get a a TDS meter if you are soon EI dosing and most EI followers use one despite the fact that the program was designed not to use a meter. Do a water change and don't dose anything just to see what happens. Many times there's enough trace elements in tap water to keep plants going for a couple of days

liz26914 04-07-2016 08:01 PM

Should I do a 100% water change?

I read about using tds meters with ei dosing here. http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ei-dosing.html

So I am supposed to test my water after the water change and again after dosing the tank. When the ppm rises to certain amount from the ppm of the water right after the water change, I do a water change. Does that sound right?

How high above the ppm of the water without ferts should the ppm with the ferts go before I do a water change?

kittenfish 04-07-2016 08:21 PM

You are dosing enough ferts for a heavily planted 20-40 gallon tank. We aren't supposed to link to other forums here but check the first result when you google "ei dosing".

liz26914 04-07-2016 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittenfish (Post 7280961)
You are dosing enough ferts for a heavily planted 20-40 gallon tank. We aren't supposed to link to other forums here but check the first result when you google "ei dosing".

oops

alecmerkel 04-07-2016 10:13 PM

No harm no foul. Just do. 75~90 water change and just let the tank reset for a week. Then restart you feeding schedule. I only dose once a week. I just read the amounts on the bottles. I recommend doing the same until you get more familiar. :) good luck. Can't wait to see your tank healthy again!

liz26914 04-07-2016 10:46 PM

I'm doing dry ferts and it didn't come with directions other than excel.

I was searching on google and someone posted on another forum asking about ei dosing for a 7 gal
He was reccomended to do this:
10 tsp KNO3 mixed with 250 ml
  • 2 ml 3x a week
2 tsp kh2po4 mixed with 250 ml
  • 1-2 ml 3x a week
10 tsp k2so4 mixed with 250 ml
  • 5 ml 3 a week
1 tbs CSM+B mixed with 250 ml
  • 1 ml 3x a week
If I do half of what this person was recommended for 7 gal for my 3.4 gal, would it be ok?

kittenfish 04-08-2016 12:23 AM

That sounds about right. Remember to do a 50% water change each week, that's an important part of the EI dosing regimen.