Betta Fish Forum banner

Red/Black Dragon Spawn

11K views 39 replies 3 participants last post by  GazHMPK 
#1 ·
Attempt #1

Both been conditioned for over 2 weeks
With plenty of frozen brine shrimp and blood worms and last couple of days I fed them live blackworms.

Tank temp set to 28degrees or 82F.
Sibling pair around the 5month age.
Tank has been cycled for about 3weeks.
Plants - Elodea, Frogbit, Anubias and Marimo ball.
Indian almond leaf extract added into tank.
Bubble wrap to act as a bubble nest location.

Will be breeding my koi pair in a bucket within the next 2 weeks.

Will keep you guys up to date.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
After 40hrs I decided to release the female, both was showing signs of breeding. Once female was released. The chase begins, after an hour the female got destroyed, almost laying on top of the Amazon frogbits but after resting a bit she decided she was ready, so she went under the nest to check it out. After two fail wraps with no eggs dropping, the male decided to chase and bite her again. She is now currently hiding and he continues to build the nest. I wasnt expecting them to spawn right away. But hopefully within the next 24hrs if not, I'll recondition them a bit more.

#5 ·
Haha it does stress me out but being patience and giving them time is the best thing we can do. I try to have a look every couple hours besides that it's pretty much all carded around the tank. I'll have to say conditioning is the most important part for breeding. If you skip that part you'll be wasting time also get a lot of fry that either dies off or deformed.

#10 ·
Final update for the spawning part.

Female has been taken out due to being chased after the last embrace which dropped no eggs. She is perfectly fine, little bit worn out and ripped fins and scales but she's still very active.

#11 ·
And another note guys.

Please use a small piece of bubble wrap, my male was stressing out and over working due to the wrap being too heavy it would pop his bubbles and form into a big bubble. I saw him working extra hard making that big bubble into small ones again. I think that's one of the reasons why he moved them to another location.

#12 ·
Without a bubble nest now the eggs are just falling non stop, about 20 to 50 eggs will fall every minute. Poor boy trying his hardest to keep all of them up. He has started putting them in bubbles again.

#14 ·
35 to 40hrs seems to be the prime time for hatching, I now have about 100+ bouncing betta fry, there is still heaps of eggs waiting to be hatched. Will try to take a photo when they decide to come to the front of the fish tank.

Also after leaving my aquarium light on for almost 2 days in a row, starting to get a bit of algae growing on the walls.

#18 ·
He seems a little bit stressed out and tired, pretty much just watching his babys. If there a little to far he would go get them back haha. Just 24hrs and the fry should be free swimming and he will be having a good rest/feed.

#19 ·
Male has been taken out and is very stressed/depressed, he might even end up dying. His been swimming into walls and sitting at the bottom corner. Built a new bubble nest on the top corner as well.

On a good note. About a handful of fry are free swimming now, should be feeding their first meal of microworms very soon.

#30 ·
12 days old, have been power growing them, feeding about 4 to 5 feeds a day making sure everything is eaten before another feed. Always making sure they're nice and round on the belly. Have seen roughly about 5 die off due to not being able to eat bbs. Culling will start by the start of week 2, some of them being half the size of the bigger ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.