Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care

Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care (https://www.bettafish.com/forum.php)
-   Betta Fish Compatibility (https://www.bettafish.com/102-betta-fish-compatibility/)
-   -   Catfish and Betta hiding spots (https://www.bettafish.com/102-betta-fish-compatibility/765646-catfish-betta-hiding-spots.html)

Sappire 07-06-2018 07:27 AM

Catfish and Betta hiding spots

1 Attachment(s)
Hello, I've got one piece of driftwood in my tank, it's pretty large, and at the moment I've only got one peppermint catfish with my Betta, he seems okay with her, but when she tried to come out for zucchini he nipped her once after inspecting her. My question is, should I get something else for the tank that can provide another safe spot for the Peppermint just incase the betta tries to claim that drift wood as his own? I saw my Betta inside the driftwood so I was thinking maybe he sees that as 'his property'. I was thinking of getting a normal Bristlenose baby from the store to go with my Peppermint baby, aswell as a Kuhli loach, do they get territorial? Will the two bristlenoses be fine with each other aswell as the kuhli loach? My Tank is 50 liters, though it looks smaller than it is in the picture below.

https://imgur.com/a/mrLxfyJ

trahana 07-06-2018 04:43 PM

He nips, which means you need a Really well decorated tank. Think, plant/decorate until you can't see the gravel(very well). Don't add more fish until you can provide for your current catfish, who needs more placed to hide.

Be sure to inspect your catfish routinely, a betta can kill another fish.

LittleBettaFish 07-06-2018 05:34 PM

I personally wouldn't add another pleco to a tank that size. Even though they are much smaller than a Common Pleco, an adult Bristlenose Pleco still grows to a decent size. I had an adult Peppermint Bristlenose in a slightly larger tank, and it just felt cramped. In addition, they produce a large amount of waste, so you need filtration capable of handling the bioload.

I do think plecos can be territorial, but I'm not 100% certain as my experience with these fish is limited.

Kuhli loaches are social fish. For them to be comfortable and exhibit natural behaviour, you would need at least six of them.

Sappire 07-06-2018 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trahana (Post 1852480074)
He nips, which means you need a Really well decorated tank. Think, plant/decorate until you can't see the gravel(very well). Don't add more fish until you can provide for your current catfish, who needs more placed to hide.

Be sure to inspect your catfish routinely, a betta can kill another fish.

Okay, thanks. How would I clean the gravel if everything is on top? I'm guessing the waste would be on top too, but I'm asking just incase, I dunno, maybe some of the waste could still get stuck among the gravel?

RussellTheShihTzu 07-06-2018 09:45 PM

What size is the tank?

Any Betta tank with other fish should be 75% covered with plants. I would rehome the Peppermint Pleco as they reach 4"-5". The smallest suggested tank for them is a 20 long (30" x 12" x 12"). Pleco also need high aeration and good current flow for a healthy Pleco habitat. Some fish can live full lives in tanks with the low flow that so many seem to think is best for Betta; but not a Pleco.

Kuli Loaches needgood aeration, but not necessarily high-flow, in a tank at least 24" long. Kuhli also do best in cold to moderate temperatures of 68-78F; with best being the middle that would be 73-74. As I remember when I had them, they were real diggers and it was recommended they only be kept on soft substrate like sand. According to Seriously Fish, they can damage themselves in gravel and stop eating. I always kept mine on sand so I can't attest to that.

There are many, many fish that have habitat needs comparable to a Betta's to maintain full health and normal behavior. Unfortunately, Pleco and Loaches are not among them. People who want Betta-based community tanks should remember that if there's not enough oxygen in the water the Betta can breathe from the surface; the other residents cannot not and will eventually sicken and die.

TheMisfitToys 07-07-2018 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish (Post 1852480090)
I personally wouldn't add another pleco to a tank that size. Even though they are much smaller than a Common Pleco, an adult Bristlenose Pleco still grows to a decent size. I had an adult Peppermint Bristlenose in a slightly larger tank, and it just felt cramped. In addition, they produce a large amount of waste, so you need filtration capable of handling the bioload.

I do think plecos can be territorial, but I'm not 100% certain as my experience with these fish is limited.

Kuhli loaches are social fish. For them to be comfortable and exhibit natural behaviour, you would need at least six of them.

Placos do get territorial if they don't have a big enough tank to claim their own territory. I had 2 rubber nose in a 46 gallon tank and they were fine, but they each had plenty of room to stake their own territory out, and the tank was heavily decorated. I did have two bristlenose in the 46 before, and I had to re-home one of them because they were constantly fighting. I wouldn't suggest more than one bristlenose in anything smaller than at least a 50 gallon. Even with a heavily planted and decorated tank. Just my experience, though.

Sappire 07-08-2018 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu (Post 1852480114)
What size is the tank?

Any Betta tank with other fish should be 75% covered with plants. I would rehome the Peppermint Pleco as they reach 4"-5". The smallest suggested tank for them is a 20 long (30" x 12" x 12"). Pleco also need high aeration and good current flow for a healthy Pleco habitat. Some fish can live full lives in tanks with the low flow that so many seem to think is best for Betta; but not a Pleco.

Kuli Loaches needgood aeration, but not necessarily high-flow, in a tank at least 24" long. Kuhli also do best in cold to moderate temperatures of 68-78F; with best being the middle that would be 73-74. As I remember when I had them, they were real diggers and it was recommended they only be kept on soft substrate like sand. According to Seriously Fish, they can damage themselves in gravel and stop eating. I always kept mine on sand so I can't attest to that.

There are many, many fish that have habitat needs comparable to a Betta's to maintain full health and normal behavior. Unfortunately, Pleco and Loaches are not among them. People who want Betta-based community tanks should remember that if there's not enough oxygen in the water the Betta can breathe from the surface; the other residents cannot not and will eventually sicken and die.

My tank is about 13 Gallons, and I have been trying to find plants for my tank, but I have been almost everywhere and no one sells any, I heard water wisteria is good for bettas, is that true? But the problem is it gets very big, I'm just starting to realize that this probably won't work out, good thing I have seen an ad for a free fish tank that is wayy bigger than mine at the moment, might try get it, it's about 50 gallons, would that work out?

Sappire 07-08-2018 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu (Post 1852480114)
What size is the tank?

Would 50 Gallons be alright?

TheMisfitToys 07-08-2018 07:06 AM

I think you need to take into account the needs of the other fish before you get a 50 gallon tank. Some of the fish you want require cooler water than a betta, so having a bigger tank still isn't going to accommodate everyone. You need to get fish that all have the same water requirements (temp, water flow, etc). As far as plants go, you can and should trim plants so that they don't over grow your tank.

Sappire 07-08-2018 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMisfitToys (Post 1852480226)
I think you need to take into account the needs of the other fish before you get a 50 gallon tank. Some of the fish you want require cooler water than a betta, so having a bigger tank still isn't going to accommodate everyone. You need to get fish that all have the same water requirements (temp, water flow, etc). As far as plants go, you can and should trim plants so that they don't over grow your tank.

I was actually thinking I need a bigger tank anyway because I want to get into breeding Bettas, Bettas and BN are really the only fish I actually like, and will only usually buy. Also due to the fact Bettas can't live with fish with bright colors.

About the plants, any recommendations? I heard water wisteria is good as I've said, but any else? I've seen people float water wisteria and I ask my pet shop if I can float them and they say no, what can I do and what can I not do? ?