Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care

Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care (https://www.bettafish.com/forum.php)
-   Planted Betta Tanks (https://www.bettafish.com/147-planted-betta-tanks/)
-   -   Lighting for 5.5 gal? (https://www.bettafish.com/147-planted-betta-tanks/769864-lighting-5-5-gal.html)

Missytoe 05-04-2019 10:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Iíve been using this Marineland mini light for tanks since I set this one up back in December. Itís a 6g, all plants are 1 2 grow and they do amazing! Iíve never had an algae problem, the tank is under a window, I use a timer, yet if iím Home I turn the light on for however long I want, sometimes 12 or more hours. Lol. I donít use any Co2 or ferts. I call it my miracle tank, one betta and loads of red cherry shrimp. :) This light just seems perfect for this tank.

I do apologize for the tank at this moment. Do to some serious life issues I havenít trimmed it in a while. Thatís going to change tomorrow. Lol.

Bettabetta000 05-05-2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missytoe
I’ve been using this Marineland mini light for tanks since I set this one up back in December. It’s a 6g, all plants are 1 2 grow and they do amazing! I’ve never had an algae problem, the tank is under a window, I use a timer, yet if i’m Home I turn the light on for however long I want, sometimes 12 or more hours. Lol. I don’t use any Co2 or ferts. I call it my miracle tank, one betta and loads of red cherry shrimp. 🙂 This light just seems perfect for this tank.

I do apologize for the tank at this moment. Do to some serious life issues I haven’t trimmed it in a while. That’s going to change tomorrow. Lol.

Your tank is gorgeous! Wow! I love all the green 🙂 I wish I could use Frogbit but Red tries to eat the roots every day 😞 I had to take it out.

tess.the.mess 05-06-2019 11:54 PM

wow I love all those plants! I'm just starting on my setup and haven't gone plant shopping yet. I didn't think this TopFin 5.5 starter kit could handle much. it's quite frustrating all the stores carry such hard plastic 😡 they should realize if it's rough on human hands imagine delicate fins! I do like those squishy rubber mushrooms tho lol any recommendations for low light,easy to grow live plants?

Bettabetta000 05-07-2019 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tess.the.mess
wow I love all those plants! I'm just starting on my setup and haven't gone plant shopping yet. I didn't think this TopFin 5.5 starter kit could handle much. it's quite frustrating all the stores carry such hard plastic 😡 they should realize if it's rough on human hands imagine delicate fins! I do like those squishy rubber mushrooms tho lol any recommendations for low light,easy to grow live plants?

Thank you! And yes those plastic plants are just fin tearing danger! The 5.5 gal actually handles quite a bit. I love it and haven't even covered it heavily yet so I'll take the time this weekend to do so.

The plants I have in my tank are low light and low tech: Anubias and assorted Java Fern. The ones on the rock are Crested Java Fern and the ones in the jar and the back are just normal Java Fern. I have 1 Anubias attached to a rock in the back corner and 1 free floating on the left front near the moss hammock. I just bought another one yesterday and have been free floating that too for now.

Those two plants should be attached (tied or glued) to rocks and/or driftwood. Their rhizomes can't be buried or they'll rot. They're much easier to move around when attached to decor anyway.

The front carpet plants are S. Repens. They root well in gravel and have been sprouting. They grow tall with low light (reaching for that light) and grow low with high light (more carpet like). Mine has been growing a bit taller but shooting off new leaves too. They are quite hardy so I suggest giving them a try too! Some others are Crypts, Frogbit (floaters), Java Moss, Marimo Moss (got 3 in the tank, and you can toss them anywhere), and many more!

Share a pic of your tank when you're all situated 🙂

tess.the.mess 05-12-2019 07:52 PM

will do! I did some research on the Marimo moss balls and saw some negative reviews. did u buy in store or online? some people complained of fish going lethargic or dying after few days. others had the balls disintegrate all over their plants and filter. wondering if you had any issues? I'll probably pick a few up next weekend to start quarantining them just to be overly safe.