Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care

Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care (https://www.bettafish.com/forum.php)
-   Betta Fish Compatibility (https://www.bettafish.com/102-betta-fish-compatibility/)
-   -   Mystery snails or nerites (https://www.bettafish.com/102-betta-fish-compatibility/770262-mystery-snails-nerites.html)

Jennifer13 06-19-2019 10:34 AM

Mystery snails or nerites

I want to get some snails for my tanks, but I'm torn between mystery snails and nerites. I don't have a ton of algae in my tanks, but have no problem with supplemental feeding. Which do you prefer and why?

Old Dog 59 06-19-2019 11:49 AM

I've had both in my tanks. Both do a great job on the green algae. However I prefer the Mystery snails. Not only do they do a good job on algae but they are fun to watch. Nerite snails just hang on the glass and don't move around that much. Mystery snails have many different colors where as nerite are mostly black or brown.

blubird101 06-19-2019 12:06 PM

I personally prefer nerite snails because they don't breed in freshwater, unlike mystery snails. Its good for me since I have a small 2.5 gallon tank, and I don't want it overrun with snails haha.

Rainbo 06-19-2019 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog 59 (Post 1852514060)
I've had both in my tanks. Both do a great job on the green algae. However I prefer the Mystery snails. Not only do they do a good job on algae but they are fun to watch. Nerite snails just hang on the glass and don't move around that much. Mystery snails have many different colors where as nerite are mostly black or brown.

Nerite snail color depends on the type you get. I have a tiger nerite that is a beautiful orange and black, and I've had zebra horned nerites that are yellow and black. There's also red racer nerites which are very colorful. My main problem with the larger variety of nerites is that they make a huge mess in a very short amount of time!

RussellTheShihTzu 06-19-2019 05:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have both and each has its pros and cons.

Mystery Snails are certainly beautiful and I like them but not the waste they produce or the egg clutches which, to be honest, gross me out.

I prefer Nerite. They are so varied in color, pattern and type. But while their eggs won't hatch in freshwater, they will still lay them. Many people find them unsightly.

However...unless you have plenty of algae the large ones are not for you. The number one cause of Nerite death is starvation because usually they only eat natural algae. Nerite have been known to eat algae wafers and blanched vegetables but very few will.

That being said, there is the diminutive Horned Nerite.

Horned/Thorned Nerite:

Attachment 963470

Attachment 963472

blubird101 06-20-2019 08:04 AM

I honestly just like snails haha, I love watching them on the glass and plants. I'm always surprised how fast they are haha.