Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care

Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care (https://www.bettafish.com/forum.php)
-   Planted Betta Tanks (https://www.bettafish.com/147-planted-betta-tanks/)
-   -   Is this an okay betta set up? (https://www.bettafish.com/147-planted-betta-tanks/770494-okay-betta-set-up.html)

Stella2013 07-16-2019 11:16 AM

Is this an okay betta set up?
 
3 Attachment(s)
Hey guys so I just wanted to make sure This in an okay betta setup and If anyone had any advice for the plants that would be great I currently give them seachem fertilizer but does that help my amazon sword and crypts or no because they are root feeders? I have a fluval spec v and a delta tail male named alex and his Buddy a zebra snail named Harold. I just redid his tank yesterday and he is acting very strange, water parameters are all good, and he’s eating just normally he is very active and likes to interact but today he seems to just be lying at the bottom

Old Dog 59 07-16-2019 01:50 PM

It's a lovely tank. And you have a good start in plants. If it were me I would be thinking of adding a few more plants, The more places he can feel safe and have more hides the better he will like it.

As for him just laying around on the bottom. It may be he feels safe there. When you change anything for in a betta tank it confuses them at first and they need to get use to it. There may be some stress there but I don't think there is anything else going on. You say the water parameters are good, and I don't see anything else that might be causing it. He's a very pretty boy you have with his colors he looks like a Panda. Sooo neat.

The SeaChem fertilizers You are using. What kind ( or what are they) The only ferts I use in my tanks for both rooted and bunch plants is the Seachem flourish supplement. About 1/2 teaspoon or 2.5 ml a week. For my rooted plants I have added plant tabs that should last 6 months. and with the flourish ( not flourish excel) they do very well.

Stella2013 07-16-2019 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog 59 (Post 1852516104)
It's a lovely tank. And you have a good start in plants. If it were me I would be thinking of adding a few more plants, The more places he can feel safe and have more hides the better he will like it.

As for him just laying around on the bottom. It may be he feels safe there. When you change anything for in a betta tank it confuses them at first and they need to get use to it. There may be some stress there but I don't think there is anything else going on. You say the water parameters are good, and I don't see anything else that might be causing it. He's a very pretty boy you have with his colors he looks like a Panda. Sooo neat.

The SeaChem fertilizers You are using. What kind ( or what are they) The only ferts I use in my tanks for both rooted and bunch plants is the Seachem flourish supplement. About 1/2 teaspoon or 2.5 ml a week. For my rooted plants I have added plant tabs that should last 6 months. and with the flourish ( not flourish excel) they do very well.


I use Seachem fourish excel for my fertilizer, and as for the plants is it okay that I plant bacopa? The amazon sword and crypt have very big roots and would that choke the plants out?

bluesamphire 07-16-2019 03:20 PM

He is so handsome! Absolutely gorgeous.

Lovely tank, too. :)

Does he hang out a lot by/under the floating plant? If he does, you might want to add some more. Mine love their floating plants.

Really do like the tank and layout.

Rainbo 07-16-2019 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stella2013 (Post 1852516106)
I use Seachem fourish excel for my fertilizer, and as for the plants is it okay that I plant bacopa? The amazon sword and crypt have very big roots and would that choke the plants out?

Excel is not a fertilizer. It's like a liquid carbon. Most plants like it, but some, like anacharis, can be damaged by it if it's used in a big enough dose or too frequently.

I do plant my bacopa and it does fine.

Plants that feed from the water column will need a liquid fertilizer, one to start with is Seachem Flourish (not Excel) it should work fine for the easier plants like the ones you have. Anacharis, water wisteria, java fern, and anubia are all water column feeders.

Plants that feed from the substrate are going to need root tabs, and some of them will also need iron to be supplemented. Crypts, swords, bacopa, and repens are substrate feeders, and swords will also need iron.

I've found that the substrate feeders do best with some liquid fert in the water.

Old Dog 59 07-16-2019 04:30 PM

I totally agree with Rainbo. Excel usage in this tank is not needed. Could do some damage to the plants you have in there now. If you check the plant tab label you might find they contain iron and all the foods the rooted plants need.

Stella2013 07-16-2019 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesamphire (Post 1852516110)
He is so handsome! Absolutely gorgeous.

Lovely tank, too. 🙂

Does he hang out a lot by/under the floating plant? If he does, you might want to add some more. Mine love their floating plants.

Really do like the tank and layout.


Yes he does!!! I have extra just last time I put them in they ended up choking out all my java fern and thank you so much!!!

Stella2013 07-16-2019 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainbo (Post 1852516114)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stella2013 (Post 1852516106)
I use Seachem fourish excel for my fertilizer, and as for the plants is it okay that I plant bacopa? The amazon sword and crypt have very big roots and would that choke the plants out?

Excel is not a fertilizer. It's like a liquid carbon. Most plants like it, but some, like anacharis, can be damaged by it if it's used in a big enough dose or too frequently.

I do plant my bacopa and it does fine.

Plants that feed from the water column will need a liquid fertilizer, one to start with is Seachem Flourish (not Excel) it should work fine for the easier plants like the ones you have. Anacharis, water wisteria, java fern, and anubia are all water column feeders.

Plants that feed from the substrate are going to need root tabs, and some of them will also need iron to be supplemented. Crypts, swords, bacopa, and repens are substrate feeders, and swords will also need iron.

I've found that the substrate feeders do best with some liquid fert in the water.

So over then seachem flourish and root tabs they should be fine? I had gotten some anacharis but the part I planted in the substrate kept dying.. why is that? Like the rest was alive just not that portion, is there anything I can do to prevent this?

Stella2013 07-16-2019 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog 59 (Post 1852516116)
I totally agree with Rainbo. Excel usage in this tank is not needed. Could do some damage to the plants you have in there now. If you check the plant tab label you might find they contain iron and all the foods the rooted plants need.


Thank you!!!

RussellTheShihTzu 07-16-2019 04:59 PM

I let my stem plants float or weight them in bunches so they have time to adjust and grow roots. They can be planted but I never do as I like the "bunch" look.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome