Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1/14/22 UPDATE IN COMMENT AT THE BOTTOM

Housing:

How many gallons is your tank? It is a split 10g so he is in 5g
Does it have a filter? Yes 2 sponge filters
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Sponge filter
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? There is another male betta in the other half of the tank

Food:
What food brand do you use? Fluval bug bites color enhancing
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 2x a day anout 6-7 pellets depending on size

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of water did you change? 50%
What is the source of your water? Well
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? API stress coat conditioner and an all-in-1 fertilizer

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
pH: 6.5
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Today
How has your Betta鈥檚 appearance changed? Small white bump on side of head
How has your Betta鈥檚 behavior changed? Hasnt changed
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Nothing yet
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? He has injured himself a couple times before but healed fine.
How long have you owned your Betta? Since April
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

I just want to add that the betta in the other half of the tank is Cas, the one I've posted about who's had issues with possible swim bladder for the last 3 weeks.

But here is the info on Sammy:

So Sammy used to have a white face. Ill insert a pic.

He lost all his white but a dot or 2 a couple months ago. Today I noticed some more white on his face and I got excited thinking he was getting some white back. But then I realized it is actually a bump.
At first I was thinking fungus but after watching him for while (he never sits still), it looks more like a bump under the scales opposed to on top so I was leaning towards cyst or tumor 馃槙. Its hard to tell though. What do you guys think?

I have aquarium salt on hand that I was considering using for Cas (swim bladder one). Im worried about my plants though. I won't have money to replace them for months if they die and don't want my boys stressed without plant cover. Obviously, I'd do what was best for them. Im just not sure what that would be.
Im worried about both of them having something going on since they're in the same tank.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE: Sammy's tumor (im guessing) has gotten bigger. Ive just been keeping his water clean and he's kept acting normal except for a decreasing appetite. He used to eat pellets 12-14 pellets a day (split into 2 or more feedings). Its slowly got worse but now he averages about 3-4 pellets a day. And so far today he hasnt eaten.

He doesnt seem super skinny looking to me but im concerned he may be getting close to the end if he wont eat.

Has anyone dealt with tumors and can give advise on what I should expect? Or food suggestions? (Hes not a fan of frozen bloodworms)

Heres an updated pic:
Plant Purple Botany Petal Flower

Plant Fish supply Organism Grass Marine biology

Registered
6 Bettas, 5 Snails, 2 Shrimp, 3 Mice, 2 Hissing roaches
I'm sorry he's not doing so well!

It does look like a tumour to me as well, sadly there isn't anything we can do about it though.
I dealt with a tumour once with one of my past kids, it grew until it burst. When that happened I stuck him in a hospital tank and did a round of Kanaplex. The important thing is to just keep it clean if that happens, so clean, warm water and an IAL wouldn't hurt.

Appetite wise, have you tried soaking his food in organic garlic juice? They "supposedly" can't resist that either.

About Sammy. You'd want to use Epsom salt, Epsom is for taking down swelling, Aquarium is for things such as fungus and all. And you could try a salt bath? Here's a link that I use since I've never directly put salt in my tanks. Link!

Also, fellow Supernatural fan? I was just curious with the names and all! (Hope you don't mind my asking)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sorry he's not doing so well!

It does look like a tumour to me as well, sadly there isn't anything we can do about it though.
I dealt with a tumour once with one of my past kids, it grew until it burst. When that happened I stuck him in a hospital tank and did a round of Kanaplex. The important thing is to just keep it clean if that happens, so clean, warm water and an IAL wouldn't hurt.

Appetite wise, have you tried soaking his food in organic garlic juice? They "supposedly" can't resist that either.

About Sammy. You'd want to use Epsom salt, Epsom is for taking down swelling, Aquarium is for things such as fungus and all. And you could try a salt bath? Here's a link that I use since I've never directly put salt in my tanks. Link!

Also, fellow Supernatural fan? I was just curious with the names and all! (Hope you don't mind my asking)
Thanks for the reply!

How long did your boy have the tumor before it burst? Sammy has had this for about 2 months. Did yours lose his appetite too?

I have not tried the organic garlic juice. I will look for some this weekend. I'll try the salt bath with epsom tomorrow. Thanks!

And yes, big Supernatural fan! I dont have anymore room or I'd probably have a Dean as well lol.

Registered
No problem!

Almost half a year, but it's often different. Sammy's might not burst, or it might later, or sooner than my kids did.
He did have an appetite change for a little bit, but once it burst and it healed up he went back to being his usual. His was also right near his mouth, so I believe it was affecting his eating.

I hope it helps!

Nice!! Same here and lol!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1/7/22 UPDATE

Sammy's tumor is very large now. While he has been eating well the past month or so, his body just doesn't look healthy to me.
Pollinator Butterfly Insect Plant Terrestrial plant

Insect Plant Pollinator Organism Liquid

As you can see, his tumor has gotten a lot bigger and there is white showing up in his fins and off colors on his body. This does not look like marbling to me. He just looks sickly but if someone thinks differently, let me know.

I'm really starting to wonder if I should consider euthanasia. I dont want to give up on my little guy (especially having just lost Cas) but I dont want him suffering.

Any thoughts?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Does anyone have any input?

He is supposed to be getting a new neighbor on the other side of the tank today and his tumor is looking odd.
Fish Plant Fish supply Underwater Fin

Im out of town for a funeral and its hard to tell in the pics if the tumor has busted open some or not. Its still very large but looks drastically different.

Plant Wood Terrestrial plant Trunk Grass

Ignore the food at the bottom. My boyfriend doesn't usually feed them. Tank will be vacuumed when I get home later tonight.

I'm just concerned about adding a new fish to the tank. I wasn't expecting to be out of town so the quarantine tank is not set up and I wasn't expecting the new fish until next week. I was also debating if it would be better to put Sammy in the quarantine tank but I dont want to stress him.

It's been a rough few weeks for me and I'd really appreciate some advice!

Registered
Apologies! I missed your reply from a few days ago.

I'm sorry to hear you've had a rough few weeks. I do hope it gets easier for you soon.

About Sammy. (I'm so sorry to hear about Cas, S.I.P little one)

There's not much we can do for tumours sadly.
Is Sammy still acting the same? Is he bothered by it? It is your decision, but he seems alright (besides the tumour) otherwise.

If it has busted open, the only thing to do is keep it clean. So daily water changes for a few days, IAL if you have any.

Quarantine tank-wise. You can if you think it'd do him good. There aren't contagious tumours in fish (that I know of), so if you didn't it wouldn't cause an issue with your new kiddo (congrats by the way!).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Apologies! I missed your reply from a few days ago.

I'm sorry to hear you've had a rough few weeks. I do hope it gets easier for you soon.

About Sammy. (I'm so sorry to hear about Cas, S.I.P little one)

There's not much we can do for tumours sadly.
Is Sammy still acting the same? Is he bothered by it? It is your decision, but he seems alright (besides the tumour) otherwise.

If it has busted open, the only thing to do is keep it clean. So daily water changes for a few days, IAL if you have any.

Quarantine tank-wise. You can if you think it'd do him good. There aren't contagious tumours in fish (that I know of), so if you didn't it wouldn't cause an issue with your new kiddo (congrats by the way!).
Thanks for replying! And thank you for the condolences. We miss him very much but seeing his side of the tank with life again has helped.

Now that I'm home and can see them for myself, Sammy doesn't look great but he is eating and having a grand ole time flaring at his new neighbor. Cas was WAY bigger than him so now that he has a neighbor that is slightly smaller than him, he is showing all the spunk!

As long as Sammy continues to eat and act like himself, I will help him fight his battle with that tumor as much as I can. I'm not hopeful he has much longer unfortunately, though. He gets more white and black spreading on his fins every day.

I do believe his tumor has opened some near the bottom and was mainly worried about him getting some infection from it and needing the quarantine tank so I could medicate. However, I think moving him would be too stressful and I will just keep the water as clean as I can with small water changes daily and only move if I absolutely need to. I looked the new guy over very throroughly for any signs of illness and he looks to be in great health so for this specific situation, he will not be quarantined.

Registered
Im glad your new baby is doing great!!

You can always use aquarium salt if you're worried or put in an Indian Almond Leaf.

I'm sorry I can't offer more for Sammy, I'm glad he's still all spunky though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts