Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several years ago member Sena started a thread on 1-2 gallon tanks. She introduced it by stating:

I have noticed for the time I have been on here there has been a constant heated debate about tank size - and do you know what that really causes? People who NEED our help to be deterred because they feel that they might be frowned upon by others. Why? Because in their time of need some people feel the urge to complicate things by constantly pushing about tank size or temperature. I think it is time for people to come forth, and not give a flying rat's toot about what others think.

So for this thread, just drop the squabble in the chicken coop, and share our 1-2 gallons.

Your Moderators have decided this thread needs to be revived and made a sticky in appreciation of those who undertake the challenges of smaller habitats. The original thread is the link below and we invite you to take a look. As that thread has been closed, we urge you to share your smaller bowls, tanks and vases in this one.

Feel free to share your challenges and ask questions.

We know that everyone has an opinion on what is a proper Betta habitat; especially when it comes to vases and bowls and how many gallons are a minimum. However, please leave the criticism and personal attacks out of this thread.

https://www.bettafish.com/100-betta-pictures/117828-1-2-gallon-tanks-bowls.html

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have all sorts of tanks ranging in size from 1 gallon- 20gallons. I think 1.5-2 gallons is smallest Id go long term for an adult betta. I guess it depends on the bettas size . My Petco bettas I got as babies are on the smaller side. I have tried a betta in a 20 but he didn’t live long but I suspect he was ill. It seemed like a lot of tank for him. I have a Koi betta in a 10 seems to be working for him. If I get in a jam (which usually means I bought another fish lol) I have a 2 gallon crystal wine/ice bucket I use lol. I don’t notice too much of a difference between my 1.5, 2, and 3 in terms of water quality but cycled and I change water very often and use Prime. I need to take some new photos of my many tanks, maybe this weekend !

·
Registered
349 Posts
I will start:

My two-gallon vases with Anubias heterophylla. Heated with Hydor 25 watt.

View attachment 957784

View attachment 957786
I use the hydor Theo 25 watt in my 2 and 5 that’s a great compact heater. It’s hard to find 25 Watts in store however pet supplies plus now has one that’s cheap and works great buts it’s super long! I think that it’s sometimes harder to heat small tanks then filter or keep up water parameters in my opinion!

·
Registered
8 Posts
wow...really beautiful vases and plants. I remember once my son had a blue betta in his room and one day he put him outside in my lily pond. When it started cooling off, he scooped him up and brought him back inside. He had that fish for about three years. Your vases remind me of my little lily pond.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The smallest tank I have (which is currently not in use) is an extremely small 5 litre tank. It was free, no idea what to use it for, lol.

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
469 Posts

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you tried a shrimp-only tank before? Malawa shrimp are as hardy as Amano and are smaller like the Neos. They will not cross with Neos so you could try adding some Neos if you have luck with the Malawa.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Never seen those for sale here in the U, might have to keep an eye out for them.

Yes, I have attempted many times with Shrimp only tanks, more often than not all dying for unknown but most likely water parameter issues. However I feel like I'm hijacking the thread.

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I believe as long as a Forum educates it is doing its job. Others might not agree with Betta in smaller homes but they are learning there are alternative uses for those gorgeous jars, vases and bowls just sitting there. So I would not call it hijacking.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Okay here are two of mine, 0.75G "Candy" Jars. Currently these are my Snail Factories (MTS in one, Pest in other) 5.5G for scale. Oh yes I need to introduce my latest little dude
I have had to keep a couple of rescue's in here temporarily. Unheated and unfiltered due to size and temperature of office (water temp 77F)
I performed close to 100% water changes daily to keep on top of the bio load in the jars.
If I had to I would use as "emergency" housing but my preference would be for larger if it was a permanent home.
A 1.5G Drinks Dispenser would be the smallest I would be comfortable with keeping one of mine in

Attachments

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just wondering, purely philosophically and not "ethically"...

Is it proven that Bettas live longer in a larger heated tank versus a smaller vase or bowl? Or are we simply assuming a fishes preference?
Not as far as I can research. If care and equipment are equal there should be no difference. My first four lived 7+ years each in two-gallon bowls.

·
Registered
231 Posts
While I always thought that my Fluval spec III was a 2.5 gallon, it turns out that it is actually an older model which is just 2 gallons! (Though I'm sure with rocks, plants, and substrate it ends up being a little less.)

My tank still does have a filter and heater though, housed in the back. My current betta is still not fully grown, and when I housed a fully grown betta for a month or so in this tank, he did seem a little squished.

Some of the challenges of a smaller tank are keeping the proper parameters and keeping them constant. It doesn't take a lot to make the numbers drastically shift. (such as one of my snails dying or not being vigilant with taking out dead plant matter) It also took me at least a month or two to get a proper nitrogen cycle going. Now that it has cycled though and the ammonia and nitrates have stabilized I love how easy it is to maintain.

It is a work tank, so I didn't feel comfortable going much bigger than 2 gallons. (At my work we have to move desks every couple of months, and I don't have my own office.) 2 gallons also was manageable for water changes, as I keep a 1 gallon jug at my desk which I take to the cafeteria area sink to fill up and wash down old water.

I only really have time to change water on my 15 minute breaks, or use my lunch, so something this small works well for that. I am learning with the new 5 gallon tank I'm setting up at home that water changes aren't as easy or simple like with the smaller tanks haha.

Overall though, I love my 2 gallon tank! Here are the specs...

Fluval Spec III- 2 Gallons
Heated by a Hydor 25 watt heater.
Temps fluctuate between 78-82 degrees Fahrenheit. (another struggle with smaller tanks, temps fluctuate when the lid is off or on, when there's minor evaporation, ect.)
Filter is built into the back, and I have a sponge covering the output to reduce the flow.
It was Lace rock and 4 or so plants with Indian Almond Leaves.
It currently houses One betta fish and two nerite snails
Parameters are usually around these levels.

Ammonia- 0-.25 PPM
Nitrates- 10-20 PPM
Nitrites- 0 PPM
PH- 7.2

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
I love me some plants! These tank was just a snail and plant tank for a long while because I wanted the plants to be nice and established before I added a betta :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone! How does this 2 gallon look? (I have java moss and hornwort on its way so the tank is a little bare). I am hoping to upgrade Gustav's tank but I didn't have much in the way of ideas and had this tank... so he's got a heated + filtered tank while I decide on something. I had Rio my first siamese fighter in a larger 50 gallon community tank with petricola and ember tetras but he passed away a few years ago and I sold the tank. I'd really like to do something similar for Gustav but I'm stuck on ideas. I'm new to the hobby and hoping this forum will be a good place to look and get inspired. I've been dabbling around looking into the low tech walstad style tanks but yeah I'm still stuck on what I want haha. Anyways hello and thank you for adding me I've been enjoying the content so far!!

won't let me add pictures so its broken link for now :(
h*ttp://i68.tinypic.com/t54sgk.jpg

1 - 20 of 40 Posts