Betta Fish Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

Registered
My betta's silk plants came today! I put them in his tank and he seems to really like them so far. Here's the before and after:

View attachment 1025143
View attachment 1025144

I actually bought quite a bit more and was thinking about putting them on the left side, but Fleshy really likes to sit on top of his marimo and leaf bed, so I didn't want anything blocking those off. Plus I need space for his new filter, which should be coming in this week.

I thought it was a 2.5-gallon tank, but after using a 1-gallon bowl to change his water this past week, I realized it's probably a 1.5-gallon. 馃槄

He's already been swimming around among the new plants a lot, which is nice because when I added his first piece of decor - the leaf bed - he FREAKED out and avoided that side of the tank for hours. I guess he's gotten used to changes by now.
Pretty sure this is a 2.5 gallon tank. Remember, the volume measurement assumes you fill to the rim and it doesn't account for decor/substrate displacing water. If you filled it totally bare to the rim, it would be 2.5 gallons.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Unfortunately, advertised gallons are based on the outside dimensions and not the fish's actual living space. Without substrate or equipment, for example, my 20 gallon tank holds approximately 16 gallons.

The way to know actual capacity is to multiply L X W X H and divide x 231. If it has substrate, measure from top of substrate. This formula calculates gallons.

Registered
Bettas: Strider Smauge Lagolas Val Descy Kumar Lady Cookies Donatella Nerissa Tabitha Gecko: George
I'm on a betta group on FB and they say nothing under 10. I roll my eyes at that, none of mine ever get a 10 to themselves, sorry guys :p
Ya, 10 gallons are a bit excessive. I mean if you want do it do it, but font criticise everyone else for not lol.

Registered
I'm on a betta group on FB and they say nothing under 10. I roll my eyes at that, none of mine ever get a 10 to themselves, sorry guys :p
Honestly, I kinda feel it depends on the fish and the person.. I plan to upgrade all of mine to bigger tanks but its not because I don't think its possible for them to be in smaller tanks... I'm just lazy and don't wanna do the extra water changes LMFAO

Registered
Unfortunately, advertised gallons are based on the outside dimensions and not the fish's actual living space. Without substrate or equipment, for example, my 20 gallon tank holds approximately 16 gallons.

The way to know actual capacity is to multiply L X W X H and divide x 231. If it has substrate, measure from top of substrate. This formula calculates gallons.
Lol you are too smart XD I just fill it with gallon jugs the first time and take note how many it took lmao!

Registered
Its for the filter but the the filter didn鈥檛 work good a sucked the fish against the grates

it鈥檚 a okay tank I love the way it looks but don鈥檛 buy if wanting a filter, it鈥檚 a top fin tank from Petsmart I also had silent stream filter from them and it broke in a couple months

Registered
Here's some of my new little guy. I haven't had a betta in about a year, and am so happy to finally have one again. I love them so much <3. He's in a 2 gallon bowl with a 20 watt heater. There's a bit of substrate in there just to let the BB grow and to level out the bowl; there's 4 small marimo moss balls, and I have 3 more ordered; a mopani driftwood cave that has openings in the front and the back that he loves to swim through; a small anubias that I left to float on the surface that he LOVES, and a betta hammock in the back right corner. The bowl has a lid that made out of needlepoint plastic mesh. I've conditioned the water with seachem Prime and Stability, and also IAL (that's why the water looks brownish). I opted not to have a filter, because in all of my experience with bettas, they seem much happier without the current. The caveat is, of course, you have to know what you're doing to provide a safe habitat for them. I plan to do 25% water changes every 3 days. Of course if he seems to be symptomatic of poor water quality, I can always throw a filter in there. Anyway, here's some pics of him, he's a Black Orchid CT. I saw him at the local pet store, and we had an instant connection. I knew he was coming home with me :) I haven't picked out a name yet, I'm still getting to know his personality. He's very lively, and very curious. I just love him <3 Anyway, here are some photos, I'm sure I'll post more in the upcoming days.

Registered
Ty, it's one of my favorites, too :) he's such a lovely and curious little guy. I love him so much 馃挆 on my next day off, I'll try to get some better quality photos. I still haven't decided on a name for him...

Registered
Ty, it's one of my favorites, too :) he's such a lovely and curious little guy. I love him so much 馃挆 on my next day off, I'll try to get some better quality photos. I still haven't decided on a name for him...
He鈥檚 really cute idk what you should name him! I named mine Medusa

Registered
I am so glad to have found a forum that has a thread like this! I really wanted a fish and my landlord only allows 1 gallon tanks. I have a beautiful female crowntail named Chadashah in a 1.6 gallon (I cheated a little to get the biggest I thought I can get away with). I have never had a betta before, but I don't feel comfortable asking questions on the other forum I've signed up for, because I know as soon as I post the tank size, whatever other question I have will be lost in the arguments and lectures that my tank is too small. I am planning to request my landlord allow me to get a bigger tank, but in the meantime (or in case that is not an option), I want to make sure I am taking the best care of Chadashah that I can! Here's a picture of her current tank. It does have a filter and a few live plants. I'm hoping to add more sometime soon, but I'm waiting a little to make sure I don't kill the ones I have.

Attachments

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Welcome to the Forum!

What a lovely home. Bet she loves playing in that castle.

The only thing I would recommend is purchasing a heater. They make Betta bowl heaters that can be placed under the gravel. Until they started making small adjustable heaters that's what I used and never had any issues.

We are quite proud that shaming of any sort is not allowed on this Forum. How can people be feel welcome and be honest when seeking help if all they get is criticism for something not based on fact? And that's the really sad part: The appropriate size of a Betta home is strictly opinion. It's not based on studies or facts.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts